UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cystitis In Senior Bitches

owl

Polly was treated for cystitis a month ago and it has just come back. She is on a different AB this time plus back on the Cystaid.

If anyone has any experiences or advice, please share.

Thank you :flowers:

vitamin C tablets or cranberry capsules can help prevent bacteria adhering to the lining of the bladder and thus help prevent cystitis.

Also, make sure she drinks plenty so she wees plenty to flush the urine out of the bladder. Stale urine encourages infection.

To encourage her to drink add water to her dinner- not mixed in, but like adding milk to cereal- or try dilute chicken stock.

Pixie has just turning 12 and has had been having ongoing urinary tract infections for the past year and a bit. All many of urine tests and antibiotics later, we've now put her on Canine Cystaid which is a glucosamine for bladder health and it seems to be holding infections at bay.

She used to be fine when on a course of antibiotics but an infection would start again a couple of weeks after finishing. The problem is that she's not as able as she one was to clean herself well so bacteria travels up the tract from the outside. Hibiscrub washes can aid the situation if she struggles.

I hope you find solution for Polly's situation flowers.gif

ETA It took about 6-8 weeks for the Cystaid to take effect so hopefully it's just a matter of time for Polly.

Edited by Peachy

That's very helpful, Peachy. Polly isn't as good at personal hygiene as she used to be, which is a problem with a very fluffy dog. I've trimmed back the coat around her private bits and am paying extra attention to cleanliness, but a wash with Hibiscrub might help prevent further trouble. I'll ask the vet if she should go on Cystaid permanently. She has had a short course for each infection.

Edited by owl

• 1 year later...

Im sorry this is quite a late reply....Meena sometimes gets a touch (if she doesnt drink enough water ) I boil up barley in lots of un salted water and mix the resulting water in with her food....it works very well and quickly