UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hachiko

Laura_E

I saw this advertised last night and thought it looked quite good, then today I googled it and read the true story behind the film and it had me in tears. :mecry:

I think it will be sadder than Marley and Me, so I best wait for it to come out on video to prevent the public humiliation of blubbing in the cinema! :rolleyes:

My deep dark secret is I must be the only person in the world to be totally unmoved by Marley and Me ( both the book and the film ) well actually one of two as Mark was equally unmoved huh.gif

This new film looks very intresting and I will watch out for it as an onboard movie later in the year

My deep dark secret is I must be the only person in the world to be totally unmoved by Marley and Me ( both the book and the film ) well actually one of two as Mark was equally unmoved huh.gif

It did nothing for me either mellow.gif, Hachiko looks promising though, just hope it won't result in a flood of Akita's being bought by unsuitable owners.

I only read the book Marley and me and I couldn't believe the way that poor dog was treated, they even had that numpty MIlan in to help them with Marley, they also did the same with the pup they got after Marley died.

The new film looks good and reminds me a bit of Greyfriars Bobby's story.

Terri

Ah Hachiko - over 25 years ago I lived in Shibuya and if ever we were meeting friends at the station we would meet at Hachiko's statue as did a lot of other people.

The story also reminds me of another dog who lived at a crossing close to Bradford upon Avon, his master was killed at the crossing and after many failed attempts to rehome the dog, he always escaped and went back to the crossing he was left to live there. Someone had supplied a green fibre glass kennel which was place on the grass verge. He had a daily routine, breakfast at the local hospital and dinner at the pub - he actually spent a great deal of time at the pub but always went back to the crossing to sleep in his kennel. He had many people looking out for his welfare. This was in the mid 1970s.

I lived at Bradford on Avon around the time of this dog, he was called Winston and was a golden Labrador. We saw him many times. There were many rumours about how he came to be there from the more common one that his owner died in a car accident there to the other that he was a failed gundog that kept running away from his wealthy landowner owner who eventually stopped trying to return him to his rightful home!

I only read the book Marley and me and I couldn't believe the way that poor dog was treated, they even had that numpty MIlan in to help them with Marley, they also did the same with the pup they got after Marley died.

The new film looks good and reminds me a bit of Greyfriars Bobby's story.

Terri

It's not just me then- thank heavens for that- I thought as owners they were appalling :mecry:

It's not just me then- thank heavens for that- I thought as owners they were appalling :mecry:

Your the first person that I've come across that feels the same way I do, I was starting to think that I had read a different book to everyone else. They should be ashamed of themselves for the things they did to that poor dog.

Terri

• 5 weeks later...

I went to this today and started crying about two thirds into the film and didn't stop until it had finished. rolleyes.gif

Although there was a lady at the end of our row that was literally sobbing, so that made me feel a bit better!