UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Puppy And Uti

batmobile

I have an 11 week old puppy who appears to be suffering from a UTI. She was almost housetrained, and then started squatting anywhere in the house, nothing coming out or a little bit and peeing a large number of times without warning. She would also whine just after peeing at the back door or front door. We took her and a urine sample to my vets and he said there is no 'obvious' infection but that there is a lot of protein in her urine. He gave her an antibiotic jab and a course of antibiotics which have only just started (this was yesterday eve). She is still the same today, though you would expect them to take a while to kick in, but what bothers me more is her crying and writhing when trying to go to sleep. She is asleep now after about 15 mins of changing position, crying, rolling etc. When outside and with my other dogs she is normal, playing, running round and generally having a great time, but still peeing little and often.

My vet is very good and she is due her last jab next Friday anyway plus a check up (though of course I will go before if this doesn't get better) but i was wondering if anyone has any experience of this sort of thing and any advice on how to ease her discomfort, how to help her and how to not undo all housetraining (at the moment we try and encourage her to at least 'dribble' on her pads but it's impossible to get her out each time). Also, high protein in urine: She is on Royal Canin Junior, 3 times a day once mixed with egg, twice with chicken and diluted goats milk inbetween as a snack. This is what the breeder recommended but I am VERY scepticle of any breeder recommended food as I know it is often about endorsement not quality. Could the food cause it or is RC a good make? We are willing to change the food but want to see if the anti bs work first so we can find the potential cause more easily. Sorry for the length of this. Oh, and I have two rescue dogs, am a homechecker for rescues etc so please don't hate me for the 'breeder' thing - my parents have always had a pup and when they lost their 13 year old retriever before Xmas they wanted another. Hubby and I agreed as we are in a situation where we can share the raising of a puppy (we live in a shared house in the middle of the country). We are also on the list at Retriever rescue for an older rescue when one becomes available. :)

sorry for the length of this, I would really appreciate some advice.

Jo x

I've only experienced urine infection once in my dog's and it took about 2 day's to clear up with AB's, just make sure she's drinking lots of water to help flush out her bladder and the infection, not sure what you could use in the short term to ease her discomfort.

As to the food, not a big fan of Royal Canin, have a look at Orijen ( although not sure about feeding it to a puppy, you'd have to check) or Nutro, James Wellbeloved, there are quite a few "independent " manufacturers out there now.

I think a photo's obligatory btw biggrin.gif.....and what's her name!?

Fir a uti, as a first aid measure you could try boiling some barley in a muslin bag, let the water cool and give her it to drink- barley water is good for soothing the burning.

I have also used cranberry capsules for my dog.

Did the vet check for sediment on the urine? Stones or gravel can cause a partial blockage.

When my retriever had bladder stones she was fine apart from squatting for ages, then I realised she was only dribbling urine.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have never come across this before after years of dog ownership, so it has come as a bit of a surprise. There was only 'high protein' in her urine, nothing else obvious the vet said. I am wondering if the change of kibble (she was on Royal Canin puppy and they had run out so was on Royal Canin Junior which are bigger pieces) might be the cause but am reluctant to change too many variables. As in, she is on Antibs, if I change food as well, how will we know the true cause if she improves with both things being done? Can food give them a UTI? Poor little thing is so sore. Photos will of course follow soon! x

Hi

It's several years since I used to foster horrid stinky poopies :wub: but you seem to be feeding her an incredibly high protein diet as complete puppy food is typically around 30% protein, then she's getting egg, chicken and milk on top. I only used to give a bit of diluted goats milk to the young, skinny ones to build them up. From memory, they would have 2 meals of just complete and one meal of nature diet puppy with mixer (not complete).

I can't see that you've mentioned her breed (but that could be me speed reading :rolleyes: ), but would suggest you lower the protein level in her diet quite a bit.

Good luck and piccies please :flowers:

Edited to add - yes too much protein can be excreted in the urine for example, just google too much protein puppy and loads of stuff comes up.

Edited by chickentikka

We are following exactly what the very experienced kennel club breeder (I hope you detect a slight tone in my posting!) told us to feed. It is 12 years since any of us had a pup as I have always had adult rescue collies but to be honest, I thought it was a lot of protein too especially when I read the ingredients on the Royal Canin packet. I am going to just feed her chicken this eve as we have some ready boiled - would you recommend a bit of rice to go with it? And maybe the same in the morning and see if this starts to help. It is Kibble which I am not sure is complete or mixer but it still has 30% protein in ingredients. I know a pup can't be fed rice and chicken permanently but for a couple of meals it might help to reduce protein levels and ease her pain. :( she has slept far more than normal today which is distressing as although you beg for a rest from the puppiness, I'd rather have that than poorly any day. Her name is Martha and she's a golden retirever pup. :)

:GroupHug: hope martha is feeling more comfortable now.

thanks everyone. Martha is not sore any more. She is now on Wellbeloved kibble and moist food and seems to be much better. She is however still piddling everywhere, not as often and not struggling but after every play session we get a nice big puddle on the floor and she is peeing quite a bit more frequently than seems normal. However, i think a lot of this is because she has forgotten any house training she had before she was ill, and just goes when she pleases. She can get through the night and a few hours in her crate without an accident so I suspect it's up to us to go back to basics and remind her she can actually hold it when awake. she has her final jab on Fri so will chat to the vet about it then if it hasn't improved... to be honest, having her back to her demonic ways and so happy is such a relief - we can work on the piddle!