UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Taking Care Round Trucks When Your Driving

celeste

Now obviously, I know what a " limit point" is whistle.gif......but perhaps you could explain to some of the others what it is rolleyes.gif

I've never heard of limit points in my life, anybody else know what they are ?

Of course I do

not really, I have no idea what a limit point is

:laugh: It refers to driving round bends, the limit point is the last part of the road that you can see on the left hand side of the road/bend. It can be a hedge, a white line or just the edge of the road. You drive to the limit point so that if it's not moving you slow down/hold back and adjust your speed accordingly, i.e. if the point is moving you keep up your speed (chase the point in police terms!). It's basically your vision of the road in front so very simply (as that's the only form of explanation I have!!) if you can't see beyond a certain point on the corner, you don't drive quickly round it as you are driving faster than you can see.

I'm sure that's very clear, I did say I'd only just understood it :laugh:

The limit point (say the edge of the road) is stationary when you can't see another point beyond it (i.e. any of the road ahead), you drive as the point appears, i.e. if it's a gentle bend the limit point will probably be constantly moving at a reasonable pace so that gives you an idea of the speed you can take it at (not taking into account what may be on the opposite side of the road or any turnings of course!)

Conclusion:

Best to ask someone else :wink: .

it's not the easiest thing to explain in words :wacko:

I would say that if you are driving and the bend continues to 'open up' as you go then you are driving at less than the limit point. If the converging points of the bend seem to move at the same speed as you and stay constant, then you are matching the limit point/speed of the bend. If the converging points of the bend are coming towards you, you are going too fast!!

The other thing most abused is the safe gap, an easy rule of thumb in good conditions to maintain at least a two second gap. Wait till the car in front passes a fixed point and you should not reach it until two seconds later. try saying *only a fool breaks the two second rule* and that is about right. That gap increases as the conditions worsen.

I was thinking of this thread when I reversed my van this afternoon, very very slowly and carefully thank god! The neighbours fencing to my right is 6 ft high, so I can't see what's coming from that direction until my side screen is past the fence. Fortunately most people realise this - one of my dippy neighbours, having a little girl with her, unfortunately isn't one of them. It was just as well that I didn't have music on and heard a noise outside my van, and through the back window just saw something that could be the top of someone's head, passing right behind it! :ohmy: So slammed the brakes, and sure enough, dippy neighbour and little girl popped up on the side, waving and completely unaware that at least the little girl could of been crushed underneath me van! So told them to come round and told the woman that I'd not seen them at all. She assumed I'd seen them in my rear view mirror! This woman doesn't drive and obviously doesn't have a clue what the range of a rear view mirror is. I will have to tell her again tho, to please please PLEASE make eye contact with a driver, to make sure that she's been seen! Freaked me out big time!

Saying that Billy, I'm doing some work on at the moment on driveway deaths, very scary and happens because like you said, drivers often cannot see a small child as their heads might not even come above the bumper. Worse in America with larger vehicles. Young children can dash out so quickly and simply not be seen. There's been some very tragic cases where children have for instance, gone out of the house to wave goodbye to Dad without Dad realising and sadly, been fatally knocked down as the car pulled out of the drive. Awful to live with as a parent :(

Your neighbour might want to think about a child's size compared to a car or van!

I was thinking of this thread when I reversed my van this afternoon, very very slowly and carefully thank god! The neighbours fencing to my right is 6 ft high, so I can't see what's coming from that direction until my side screen is past the fence. Fortunately most people realise this - one of my dippy neighbours, having a little girl with her, unfortunately isn't one of them. It was just as well that I didn't have music on and heard a noise outside my van, and through the back window just saw something that could be the top of someone's head, passing right behind it! :ohmy: So slammed the brakes, and sure enough, dippy neighbour and little girl popped up on the side, waving and completely unaware that at least the little girl could of been crushed underneath me van! So told them to come round and told the woman that I'd not seen them at all. She assumed I'd seen them in my rear view mirror! This woman doesn't drive and obviously doesn't have a clue what the range of a rear view mirror is. I will have to tell her again tho, to please please PLEASE make eye contact with a driver, to make sure that she's been seen! Freaked me out big time!

You should get a reversing mirror which allows you to see behind the van

Saying that Billy, I'm doing some work on at the moment on driveway deaths, very scary and happens because like you said, drivers often cannot see a small child as their heads might not even come above the bumper. Worse in America with larger vehicles. Young children can dash out so quickly and simply not be seen. There's been some very tragic cases where children have for instance, gone out of the house to wave goodbye to Dad without Dad realising and sadly, been fatally knocked down as the car pulled out of the drive. Awful to live with as a parent :(

Your neighbour might want to think about a child's size compared to a car or van!

My friend had an old, deaf dog who liked to lie on the drive most of the day.

One day she ran over him.