UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Not To Breed

gooster

One of the women at my work was saying how she was going to breed from her GSD bitch, and I was telling her that she shouldn't due to there being too many dogs who need homes etc etc. I remember reading a link that someone posted that was really hard hitting about why you shouldn't breed from your bitch.

Can anyone remember where on the internet it is, as I can't find it anywhere?

flowers.gif

Ok, if she wants to look at it from a 'purebred' GSD point of view and showing, GSD's have now been excluded from Crufts' qualification due to their sloping backs, poor hips and other health issues so (if she's a responsible breeder) she'd be struggling to find the right stud dog. Showing GSDs is not easy unless you are well up in the latest breed standards at the moment. As the breed standard is basically about dogs which are 'fit for purpose, fit for life', I would suggest that lots of people who would otherwise be looking for gsd puppies might have decided to leave it for a year or two until the breed standard becomes re-established. I know if it were the breed I'm involved in, that's what I'd do. Anyway, why would you want to use a stud dog who isn't fit for either of the above? There are stud dogs out there who are both good and fit but I suspect that anyone who hasn't been involved in the showing world wouldn't know who they are because they won't have been the judges' preference in the days of the 'slopey back GSD' days.

And I agree about most of the other stuff.flowers.gif

Ok, if she wants to look at it from a 'purebred' GSD point of view and showing, GSD's have now been excluded from Crufts' qualification due to their sloping backs, poor hips and other health issues so (if she's a responsible breeder) she'd be struggling to find the right stud dog. Showing GSDs is not easy unless you are well up in the latest breed standards at the moment. As the breed standard is basically about dogs which are 'fit for purpose, fit for life', I would suggest that lots of people who would otherwise be looking for gsd puppies might have decided to leave it for a year or two until the breed standard becomes re-established. I know if it were the breed I'm involved in, that's what I'd do. Anyway, why would you want to use a stud dog who isn't fit for either of the above? There are stud dogs out there who are both good and fit but I suspect that anyone who hasn't been involved in the showing world wouldn't know who they are because they won't have been the judges' preference in the days of the 'slopey back GSD' days.

And I agree about most of the other stuff.flowers.gif

Thanks flowers.gif

My work colleague is lovely, just sometimes her heart rules her head when it comes to animals! She doesn't do showing or any activities with her dogs, just keeps her as a pet. I can imagine if (god forbid) she did breed her dog, she would end up keeping all the puppies as she couldn't give them away!!!