UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rescue Stories Book

olivea

This may be a little off the wall but having recently read quite a few books about dogs, fiction and non-fiction, I wondered if we could compile a book of rescue stories and have it published with all of the proceeds going into various rescues. I know that Battersea have published one written by one of the workers there, but this would be more widespread. A sort of anthology of rescue stories from volunteers. Maybe just a few pages to each story, and the stories would have to be happy endings, sad endings, funny stories, stories to make people realist what happens to animals and the amount of people who do actually care enough to be part of a rescue system. To include all aspects e.g. transporting, fostering etc. I guess as a start the first chapter could be the process of how a dog is rescued, what is entailed.

Does anyone think there is any mileage in this - I don't mind doing some research into how to get it published, and to be the central point for collating all of the stories.

Not sure how we would split the proceeds but that's something to be thought about later. I'll put this forward to other forums too but be grateful for all comments - even if you think it's loony!!!!!laugh.gif

Waddyathink???????????

I think it's a brilliant idea :flowers:

People here have such a variety of experiences and wonderful - sometimes heartbreaking - stories to tell about their rescue dogs, it would be fabulous to see some of them in print for a good cause.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - had some positive feedback so i'm going to give it a go.

I think this may take some time to compile so ideally I would like stories pm'd to me by mid December, then while I'm off over Christmas going to spend some time compiling it then will bounce it off a couple of people to get some feedback - in particular off a "non-doggy" person to see if it is getting the message across.

Ideally I would like a rescue story from start to finish, so - why the animal needed rescuing in the first place, it's circumstances before it was rescued, how it was transopted - how far, how many etc, where it went to next, presumably fostered, how it was while it was fostered, what problems the animal may have had, how they were overcome etc and then the end bit, hopefully re-homed after xx time, but also if it ended its' days in foster. A good start, middle and end. Also, some pics please. We need a good mix of sad, happy, funny, heartbreaking.

I am going to try and get some help, maybe from someone studying journalism who might be interested in helping, then try and get someone who would do a good deal on printing it. Otherwise it's going to be a copy run off my printer!!

I don't just want dog rescue although that will be the main feature of the book, also looking for other rescue stories.

If I only get half a dozen stories then I don't think it'll be worth doing so I'm hoping for a good response.

Maybe we could also have a section on how an animal is rescued i.e. how do we find out about the animal in need, how it is fostered, how it is transported, what happens next etc etc. Something that will raise awareness about the volume of people involved in an animal being rescued.

Also, perhaps a quote on each chapter, or a poem.

Please let me have anything you think should be included.

Looking forward to the stories flooding in.

Haven't a clue how the donations will be distributed but will cross that bridge if I have to come to it.

Get writing......................... rolleyes.gif

ANYBODY KNOW HOW I CAN COPY THIS TO PASTE ONTO OTHER FORUMS???

Thanks for that Eve. As I'm requesting stories from people that should get around the permissions and copyright aspect.

If anyone else thinks of anything I should be considering please let me know.

I now have the help of a former journalist and an artist (for illustrations) to assist on a voluntary basis - whoopee biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds very much like a book i get shipped over from candada called Chicken Soup, its lovely stories about pets and what they did..and one of my aunts always ships them and then they get passed around my friends.. and they accepted one of my stories once and they are from all over the world and the stories are fantastic.. some sad, some good etc etc but everyone i know who picks it up loves it...