UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Picky Eater

celeste

mecry.gif Sorry your dog not eatting well, i personally would ask the vet to do a blood test because im not really sure you can tell an awful lot just feeling over him. Could he has a stomach ucler? he would want to get much in one go then.

I bet you havent tried steakwub.gif , when our last dog was poorly and losing weight we fed her anything she want just to keep her eatting.

You can get a science hill tim that is high cals from the vets (not cheap thou).

What about gratting cheese over his dinner?.

or warming his food up?.

Do keep us update about him.

gillian

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mecry.gif Sorry your dog not eatting well, i personally would ask the vet to do a blood test because im not really sure you can tell an awful lot just feeling over him. Could he has a stomach ucler? he would want to get much in one go then.

I bet you havent tried steakwub.gif , when our last dog was poorly and losing weight we fed her anything she want just to keep her eatting.

You can get a science hill tim that is high cals from the vets (not cheap thou).

What about gratting cheese over his dinner?.

or warming his food up?.

Do keep us update about him.

gillian

Apart from his not eating malarky, Ben's very healthy, and he can scoff raw lamb necks no bother, so I think he is well, but if he does continue to lose weight he will get a blood test, I'll ask about testing him for Gardia too, but tbh, I think once he's gotten into the habit of eating properly he'll be fine.

He ate this afternoon, I had liquidised some lamb liver, so heated it up and mixed it with Orijen, and he scoffed it :biggrin: he spat the kibble out yesterday, but it was Arden Grange, which he doesn't seem to like much :rolleyes:

I also got some yeast flakes, which are supposed to be an appitite stimulate....we'll see.

Edited by celeste

Lucy has been poorly recently and had lost a lot of weight. She looked like a bag of bones. mecry.gif

What I do is get a lambs heart from the butcher, cook up some rice and veg and add the liquidized heart to the rice mix. Lucy sounds a lot like Ben. The slightest noise or anything she's not sure of happens, off she goes!!rolleyes.gif But not with rice mix on her kibble. I checked with the vet and mine was ok with the food that I was feeding her.

What about getting him to work for his food? When Khanu was an only dog he was awful at eating, even when we started feeding raw. He was very much a take it or leave it dog. He wouldn't even take a treat as a freebie. However he would work for his food and eat it happily once he'd earned it - he is a strange one I know.

Maybe you could give him meals as training sessions?

I still did the 10min thing with Khanu and he did start eating better. Now he is in competition with the other dogs he scoffs it down :rolleyes:

Another here that has a fussy dog. Neo wouldnt eat for days if he didnt feel like it then I started feeding him in treat balls/kongs and kibble on our walks in the morning. I took his bowl away for a while. He soon got his 'appetite back' and when I didnt have time to feed him for training I scattered his food around the garden for him to search for. Now I can feed him from a bowl and he eats it when its put down. I am very strict too about not leaving food down. :flowers: Hope you can get him sorted.

Lucy has been poorly recently and had lost a lot of weight. She looked like a bag of bones. mecry.gif

What I do is get a lambs heart from the butcher, cook up some rice and veg and add the liquidized heart to the rice mix. Lucy sounds a lot like Ben. The slightest noise or anything she's not sure of happens, off she goes!!rolleyes.gif But not with rice mix on her kibble. I checked with the vet and mine was ok with the food that I was feeding her.

Mmmmmm, nummy :sick01: but I think Ben would love that, I'll have a look for lamb or Ox hearts tomorrow.

I had originally scatter fed Ben when he first came, but he quickly lost interest, I think this dog is clearly telling me he wants meat, and he wants it raw :listen:

Celeste, have you tried Landywoods for their frozen minced meats. This is the company I use for my dogs and 1lb of tripe is only around 39p and lamb about 40p a pound. Going from memory so not massively accurate, but here is their website

http://www.landywoods.co.uk/

That would cut your food bill down. As you know when I travel I mix their minced meat with Orijen but when at home they get this for breakfast and then more rmb's for dinner.

Sounds like Freecycle or ebay will be having a call from you. Good luck

Sometimes Eddie has his uses, being a fridge engineer, he's going to see if we can get one for nowt, failing that, I'll use my vouchers I get from being a BARB panel member, and still get one for nowt :biggrin:

Ben's had his first taste of home prepared meals, he loved it :partytime: he had rabbit, cooked veg and pasta, I know strictly speaking BARF isn't supposed to have carb's but since I'm trying to get weight on him I'll use it for the time being.

We are BARB panel members too !!!! Small world. We are going to use our vouchers for a recordable DVD after Christmas.

If you are homecooking for him, try oats they are excellent for putting weight on. Good porridge for breakfast, that'll stick to his ribs.

No way !!!!....we're an elite group don't cha know :biggrin: :comic19:

I'll try some oats, I think I have some in the cupboard,should I cook them first ? guessing they'd be pretty indigestible raw

He ate ALL his three teas ! :partytime:

I think thats the most he's ever eaten in his life :laugh: well, a normal amount anyway, splitting his meals up into small portions seems to have been the way to go, and the home cooking of course, can hardly wait to be posting for idea's to slim him down again :laughingsmiley: