UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Do Most Vets Care?

Ian

Thing is, most vet practices are businesses involving quite a few people........... At the time I was upset but looking back now, I can see that there is not a lot of point blaming the entire practice for the fact that a very young woman who had not been doing the job very long handled things badly................

I actually agree with a lot of what you've said Victoria. Though in the first vets case money payment before you leave is their standard policy, card terminals at the ready etc. I didn't actually expect a card but would have expected them to have given it a respectable period - say two weeks minimum - if they hadn't taken the money there & then as offered.

I didn't even get a response when I (eventually) paid them & wrote telling them exactly wht I'd made them wait, so it presumably wasn't just an error.

Vet & nurse themselves had actually been very patient with me / for Jo (waiting for us to be "ready" for about 45 minutes)

We don't have a close relationship with any of the vets at our usual practice as there are now quite a few of them and we generally don't see the same one. However the receptionists are generally very nice and mostly the vets are too, even though I do tend to have lots of questions for them.

When we had to have Sweetie pts they were great, we asked for a home visit for the pts and then a private cremation and money was definitely not the priority for them. We didn't have to pay until we went in to pick up her ashes so that was all handled very compassionately and without pressure to pay.

Things are very different with our holistic vet, probably in some ways because we're on the same wavelength.

I think vets usually know there longstanding clients. My last vet's attitude was 'we know you won't disappear'.

On the other hand, one day someone who was not a regular client came in with a dog to pts. He was asked for payment, when he registered at reception, before he saw the vet.

I don't know about my current one as I have only made a handful of visits, but they are well thought of locally.

Our vet and his team are fantastic-very professional and compassionateflowers.gif

We always have a card off them when our pets leave for the Bridge.

So many times we have had to call him in the middle of the night and gone to the surgery to be greeted with a big smile. He is so obliging and understanding.

He doesn't charge hideous prices eitherrolleyes.gif

He never rushes us when we go to the surgery and takes his time and explains everything and doesn't talk to us like we are idiots! We are so luckysmile.gif

i don't really know what my vet is like as Rosie only goes for her booster. In the 7 years that I have had her ( from 6 weeks) She has been twice for grass seeds in her ear and to an emergency vet once when an abscess that I didn't know about burst. You can bet your bottom dollar though that if I didn't have insurance I would be forever at the vets. Touch wood I haven't changed my fortune :wink:

the emergency vet came out a couple of years ago to my mums dog for at home pts. It was a locum vet, the practice knew my mum as she'd just spent just short of 500 pounds having a tumour removed from mitzi's stomach, but still they did the pts, and just as they finished loading her body into the car, they asked for payment....that was uncaring..

Although I have already commented on my vet's practice I thought I would share this morning's experience :biggrin:

I took Cozzy cat for her sinusitis and colitis and George with a wart problem (they had started oozing)

If it's really busy we wait outside as it's less stressful and one of the staff comes out for us. All the staff that man the desk are hands-on. One of them is a trained vet nurse whilst the others also work in the boarding side of my vet's business. They just take it in turns to do reception. They all know us, tho there are a couple of newer one's who cannot remember my name, but know both my dogs' names :laugh:

Anyway this morning our vet came out for us himself and he bent down at the knees and called George. I let go of George's lead and he rushed over to "uncle Ronnie" tail a-wagging. Uncle Ronnie made a big fuss of him and told him he was looking well.

Inside we had a 20 minute consultation where he examined Cozzy and gave me some advice on her coat and an injection that was to help both with her sinusitis and the colitis and then pronounced her in great condition for her age - she's 18 - and laughed when he recalled seeing her for the first time. She was 3 weeks old and tiny. She had been thrown over a garden wall and left to die. Fortunately someone found her and she came into the rescue I helped out at. He didn't think she would make it after we rushed her straight too him :biggrin:

He then cleaned George's warts up, discussed the possibility of having him in for a minor op on them but told me he would prefer to give George something that would just quiet him rather than a full blown anaesthetic if it came to it. We discussed George's epilepsy and he updated the graph he keeps on George's seizures and then finally he checked out the 2 benign tumours George has and ruled out an op again as they haven't grown significantly in the last few months.

And the cost of all this? £16.79 I paid there and then but had I chosen to hold it over to a future date it wouldn't have been a problem. I have had to do this on a few occasions after I have gone without my debit card :rolleyes: The response I usually get it is "Oh just pay whenever". I know they aren't as liberal with everyone as some would take advantage but all their long standing customers who are reliable get the same "pay whenever" response.

I have also had the bill for euthanasia waived on more than one occasion and a member of staff has personally brought the ashes back to me (mind you she does live on my street but I still think it was a nice thing to do) I said to her "oh I need to pay you" and she replied "not now. Don't worry about it,just when you feel more like".

He will be a huge miss when he retires. I don't think we will see his like again :(