UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Autumn Glory Dog Walk, Near Pontypridd, Mid Glam

AlTRPD

Not to worry, Amy, you live close enough to come along anytime to suit you, really, just let me know, and I can unlock the car park gate and open the room up for you. :)

I rode Merlyn up onto the open ground earlier today, and did a quick recce for sheep and things, and no sign of any there or in the adjacent fields, although there are ponies grazing in a field near the top.

On the way back, I passed a tree where a buzzard often perches, and it was there! It rose when I was only about 30 feet away, then moved from telegraph post to telegraph post ahead of me. Beautiful sight, and what seems like a massive wingspan. Of course, Merlyn used that as an excuse to behave more like a 3 years old instead of a 23 years old horse, and got himself in a right sweat. :wacko:

I wish there was someone living near enough, and with enough experience, to help exercise that old reprobate! He hardly walked a step all the way home, and was, instead, jogging sideways and cavorting like some hairy clown. My back could have done without that, and I just hope I can walk okay tomorrow! :laugh: Definitely need another date with Radox! :laugh: Mind you, after mucking out and spreading the last of the bark chips over the car park, I'd have needed that anyway.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with so many having dropped out for various reasons, I wasn't sure if this would go ahead or not, although Peter's wife, Sarah, and daughter Amy arrived at the scheduled time. We enjoyed a cuppa and some sandwiches and biscuits before deciding to set out at about twenty past eleven, when it seemed as if we'd be the only ones to make it.

12thNov007.jpg

Scampi seemed a little bemused, but then decided to catch up with the others. (I'm not sure if he realised the collie was not Moss, his usual walking companion.

12thNov006.jpg

I'm not really sure if Scampi knew who he was out for a walk with, as he seems quite vacant at times, now. ;) He then decided to walk ahead with young Amy.

12thNov008.jpg

However, by the time we were on the homeward stretch, Scampi was lagging well behind.He's slowed up a lot over recent months, but then, at 15, I guess he is entitle to take life at a slower pace.

12thNov010.jpg

Once back at Llys Trerobert, he was more than ready to hop up into the car and sleep off his exertions, bless him.

While we were out on the hillside, Phebe (Owl) - delayed by an accident on the M4 - had arrived, so after Sarah and Amy had left for home and their Sunday lunch, and Phebe and I had enjoyed another cuppa and a sandwich or two, we set out with Phebe's two dogs, Whispa and Polly. This time I decided to leave Scampi in the car, where he was sound asleep on a carpet, and enjoying the wintery sunshine coming in through the rear window. I did invite him out and along with us, but he'd other ideas, and went straight back to sleep!

It was quite wet underfoot 12thNov016.jpg and I thought I'd got Whispa into this photo, but it seems not! She was having a great time, whilst dear little Polly also appeared to be enjoying herself, despite her 14 years and encroaching sight problem. She was certainly putting her nose into action, and not backwards at finding fox poop! ;)

Phebe and I walked up to the oak tree where the buzzard often perches, but didn't catch sight of him today. 12thNov014.jpg

12thNov015.jpg

We also paused on the high, open ground, hoping to be able to look over the Bristol Channel to Somerset, but it was a little cloudy, and it is hard to tell if we could see the Somerset coastline or just a darker bit of cloud in the far distance, and behind Phebe in this picture.

12thNov013.jpg

I thought I'd taken more photos than this, and including some of Phoebe's dogs, but suspect I couldn't have pressed the button hard enough a few times. (My hands are not at their best at present. ::) )

Despite there not being many of us, it was an enjoyable, but tiring day, and by the time we returned in the afternoon, and had another cuppa, it was time for me to feed the horses for the night. ;)

At least these pictures will give you all some idea of the countryside and its potential for walks for those of you who'd like to come along and explore this area in the future. :) ???

And you even got my exciting new wellies in the picture :laugh: The girls loved their adventure, and Polly was in very good form and beetling along at a fair pace. They both fell asleep as soon as we got back on to the M4, and apart from Wispa waking up and shouting near Port Talbot because she had forgotten where she was :rolleyes: the journey was peaceful.

Wispa has been measured for a harness and lead, and altogether we had a great time. Thank you Al for your hospitality. :flowers:

You were very welcome, Phebe, and it was lovely to meet you and to put a face to the name 'Owl' on here.

I shall look forward to seeing you again, and when you are able to visit the area. Now that we have the new building at Llys Trerobert, I am hoping many more forum members will visit, and take advantage of the off-road parking and chance to explore the lovely walks that are on the doorstep. :biggrin:

BTW - I love the colour of those wellies. Never seen them in blue before. :wink:

Edited by AlTRPD