UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Autumn Glory Dog Walk, Near Pontypridd, Mid Glam

AlTRPD

Now that the trees are changing colour, and we are in that 'Season of Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness' the countryside near my home can provide some lovely scenery and pleasant walks, with or without dogs. These along woodland tracks and open spaces on what was once an old colliery site and also adjacent forestry commission land.

If such a walk were to be arranged for a Sunday morning, and perhaps early in November, I am wondering how many people might be interested in attending?

The location is about three miles north of Pontypridd, although, depending upon numbers, and the abilities of the walkers, and the duration of any walk, there are a couple of choices for the actual venue. It might even be possible to arrange a guide for those capable and fit enough to do a longer, more demanding walk, and for those who may only wish to do a gentle, shorter stroll.

If you are interested, perhaps you could post here with preferences? Once I have a rough idea of potential numbers and requirements, if anyone at all fancies the idea, perhaps some more definite plans can be made. Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any preference for day, date, time, please?

If there aren't going to be many cars, and with oldie dogs, it might be best to meet at Llys Trerobert (see this link: Llys Trerobert and from there we can simply cross the river bridge and access the cycle trail and wend our way gently up the woodland tracks to the open hillside where the more energetic dogs can play chase, and the oldies (including me) just potter around and take photos. Either that, or walk one of the circular routes. Three miles would be roughly an hour's walk at a steady pace, I reckon.

Excellent. If you look in post 5 of this thread, there is a link for Llys Trerobert's address, and the RAC have a good route finder facility on the net for those who need it. Parking can cope with about 4 - 5 cars on the yard, although there's still work to be done on the car park, so it is rough ground at present.

We should have the TRPD building available by then to get in out of any rain and enjoy a flask of tea and sandwich, so don't forget to bring those if required.

There's a lot of work still to do there to create the bird garden, but yesterday a green woodpecker and a heron flew over, and the hedge behind the building where we have hung feeders was alive with various tits, a wren and a robin, amongst others. As work progresses, we hope to bring feeders around to the front of the building to see more of those. Also the cheeky squirrels that take nuts, race away down the fields and bury them. :laugh:

I'll get the ponies in that morning, and anyone who wants to can have a wander over the fields to the stream on the far side where sometimes in the autumn lots of gold finches can be seen feeding on the beech mast.

Edited by AlTRPD

Amy, I am told that some seats have been erected up on that top, open area, and for those of us who may need a rest. :closedeyes:

I'll try and take a toddle up there on Merlyn before the walk, and get some photos, so that people can get an idea of the views, scenery and countryside.