UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Suggestions For Arthritic Dog

BillyMalc

I'll be having my neighbour's old dog to stay for a week or so, she'll be arriving tomorrow. She's about 13-14 and has arthritis, hips weakening etc. The problem is that, although I'm sure my neighbour loves her, he doesn't give her anything to help her. According to him she is old, her hips are going and "that's the way it is" :( Whenever she gets too uncomfortable he takes her to the vet and she gets a course of Metacam, but that's it. Don't ask how many times I've already suggested all sorts, he nods and agrees, but that's as far as it goes. :rolleyes:

So I'll have her for a week, maybe 10 days. Is there anything that I could give her that would make a noticeable difference within that period of time? My hope is that, when he sees the difference in her, he will continue and supplements or what have ya.

Thanks for your help! :flowers:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would second Terri's suggestion of Synflex - Alex recommended it on here and I've been giving it to mine for a good while now. If you order early enough in the day that company sends out first class the same day :flowers:

If the owner isn't likely to carry on whatever you try :angry: then maybe a magnetic collar would be a good aswell as hopefully if it helps he would leave it on her as he wouldn't have to go to any effort or expense.

Poor dog :( Thank goodness you are there :flowers:

Glucosamine supplements are certainly what I would try first for my dog, but they often take a week or two to get into the dog's system and start to make any noticeable difference so might not help in the timescale you are talking about.

I have to go against the flow here and say I tried Synflex for a while for Musky and found it much less effective than the Seraquin supplements he was on before that, but I guess different things suit different dogs.

A magnetic collar would be worth a go, I used one with Molly and it definitely helped her.

If the dog is really in discomfort then it may be that she needs to be permanently on a painkiller/anti-inflamatory such as Metacam. Despite possible longer-term side effects it can dramatically change dogs' quality of life once they get past the stage where supplements etc are enough on their own. I appreciate that it's not your dog or your decision, but it sounds as though she needs more help, poor girl.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions, they are really appreciated :flowers:

I've already suggested Synflex off and on for more than a year, and all the other supplements that Mal was on (who had been incorrectly diagnosed with arthritis for more than 2 years :rolleyes: ), but he just doesn't take it on board enough or just forgets to give her supplements on a daily basis. That's why I'm reluctant to get Synflex, because it might get to mine 3 days before she goes home again, and I'll find the bottle with just as much in it on a shelf 3 months later :angry:

I might just order her a magnetic collar though, that doesn't require remembering and it would be so nice to see her walk a bit better again :wub:

Okay, Devil's Claw has been bought in happy anticipation of the Lady's arrival :wink: Now for a magnetic dog collar, would there be any supplier in particular which you'd recommend? I've seen collars for £15 as well as £30 - is it one of those things where you get what you pay for? (I mean, I'm not being tight, but you don't want to know what the dogs would have to say about the thought of £15's worth of sausage money being spent on "jewellery"! :ohmy: :glare: ). I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, and I've had to think about spending such a load of money on a dog who, in all fairness, has got a home and an "owner" who could really afford it if he wanted to. But the thing is, she's not gonna get it of him, and would you let a dog be uncomfortable with arthritis if you knew that something could be done about it? :unsure:

I got mine from the vet. About £35 I think. Look at it this way. You won't ever have to buy another. Make sure Lady's owner gives it you back. I told my pal to borrow it as long as she has Bailey then give it back to me as I will need it for Potty one day.

Hmmm, was thinking that. Okay, that's that sorted, will order one today! :)

Thanks for offer Mog, but I'll buy one and give it to Lady on long term loan :wink:

I tried the liquid Glucosamine, Chondroitin & MSM complex from Holland & Barrett and saw pretty quick and excellent results in both the dogs I am giving it too. It is quite cheap too and often available half price.

Another one which I haven't seen mentioned here is Green Lipped Mussel extract. Good stuff too as it helps with the inflammation!

Vera

Edited by LurcherGirl