UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Scary Moment On The Train Last Night.......

Tempest

I went to see Wicked yesterday in London with some friends and we had a really fab day out and went for dinner afterwards :) They both travel on a different train line to me so I got the National Express train out of Liverpool St back to Essex - I've travelled home a fair few times quite late (well it was only 22:15!) and the train is always relatively packed with people coming home from a day/night out :)

Anyways at Stratford these 4 lads got on to my carriage shouting and swearing and they were either drunk/or on drugs and basically pretty abusive and loud :( The guy sitting behind me asked them to 'mind their language' at which point they all came over and started yelling and swearing at him calling him a 'bald ****' and the guys wife was begging him to just not get involved.

Then the lads kind of turned on each other and started fighting - one punched the other square on the jaw and he fell backwards and then got up and started fighting back. Was horrid and I totally panicked - it was all happening right near me but I was trapped and couldn't really get out of the way. So I just stayed still and it died down fairly quickly but a few minutes later the fight started again and I was weighing up whether to make a run for it (was worried that if one of them decided to run I'd get caught up in it) or stay put :err: A couple of male commuters leapt up at this point as it was getting out of hand and tried to pull them off each other - at which point I decided to make a run for it and get into the next carriage (which I did thank goodness!!)

I sat next to a lady in the other carriage and she was telling me that she always travels home on this particular train line as it's a lot safer than the C2C one!!! She said last time there was a fight someone called the police and they kept the train at the station for 2 hours!!!!!

Anyways just got me thinking that what do you do in these kind of situations? I know the behaviour of these lads just isn't acceptable but can see why no-one wants to get involved as you could get a smack in the mouth or even worse knifed of something but it's seriously put me off of travelling home alone again :err: Can also sort of see why no-one calls the police as they just want to get home by this point and not delayed for the hours it would take to sort out :err:

How scarey! :GroupHug: I don't know what I'd have done but might have been tempted to pull the communication cord, althought that could have led to trouble for you. So I don't really have any advice.

I was horrified last week when the woman who told some kids to be quiet at the cinema was attacked with bleach afterwards. I did exactly the same a couple of years ago but didn't have any trouble afterwards - I wouldn't do it again.

It's quite acceptable to pull the communication cord if there is violence going on, or indeed any situation where the safety of passengers is at risk. I once pulled it because all the doors on one compartment had jammed and passengers couldn't get out at a station. No one dared pull it in case they got prosecuted and they all looked horrified when I did. But the guard didn't complain, or even ask who the culprit was.

The dire warnings of huge fines are there to prevent frivolous use.

Isn't there a saying something along the lines of 'for an evil man to succeed all it takes is for one good man to do nothing'. I was in a similar situation today, which I'll post about in a minute. I was terrified, and my OH walked away from me because I was embaressing him, but I couldn't step back and do nothing.

We seem to live in a culture where the possibility of getting bullied has made us all frightened of doing anything, and this is how bullies work - at home, in the family, at school and work - people are too frightened to do anything because of what might happen..........

Pull the cord or make sure you have the number for the police, the British Transport Police I think are usually involved in transport, don't know their remit though. If necessary move into another carriage and pull the cord. I can see why people don't want to pull the cord if it delays a late train home by 2 hours, but...not at the risk of safety to all.

Ah I didn't even know there was a cord to speak to the driver - there's an emergency stop lever thingy but I wouldn't have wanted to pull that as it would just stop the train :unsure:

I definately don't think I'd intervene where people are clearly drunk/on drugs as I think you really could be met with a very violent response :unsure:

I have replied on DP also but in the interests of others who may not know about the emergency system on trains:

According to my OH who is a british transport police officer you should:

Pull the emergency cord/handle- it doesn't automatically stop the train by the way

The BTP will be alerted and will pick up the offenders at the next station.

Should the train arrive at the next station before the BTP (happensmore often when at stations outside large towns/built up areas) thenthe train will pull in to station but doors remain locked until theyarrive.

They will know what carriage because they will be able to tell what carriage set off the alarm.

OH also says this:

Don't be the person to just sit there pretending they don't exist likethe carriage full of people who allowed a group of thugs to strip apoor woman naked on an underground train.

If they are being violent that's one thing, but so so often if oneperson stand up and is counted everyone else will suddenly back you.

Me I tend to act first and think later, in things like that, possiblybecause I was taught how to handle myself at a pretty young age. I justthink if you sit there and do nothing you are part of the problem.

I remember when I was about 14/15 a man was having a row with hisgirlfriend on a green that was packed with people. He started hittingher and everyone just sat there watching, tutting and shacking theirheads. I was livid so ran over and started yelling at him to leave heralone etc. and after a few seconds I was suddenly surrounded by thoseonlookers who weren't prepared to be the first person but werecertainly prepared to back someone once the man had been challenged.

OH also says this:

Don't be the person to just sit there pretending they don't exist likethe carriage full of people who allowed a group of thugs to strip apoor woman naked on an underground train.

That is horrendous. Shame on them all, no excuses nothing. I am lost for words.

xxx