UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice Needed

gooster

A few of you may have seen my looking for a new farm post, and today I may have found one, but need to deliberate a few things over before taking the final step.

The new farm is amazing, outdoor school which is free to use; indoor school that is in process of being built, again free to use once done; post and rail fencing, with separate fields for mares and geldings; big airy stables; lovely farmer as an owner etc. The downsides are, that he would not get 24/7 turnout even in the summer, which means I would have to do my early starts every single day (no lie ins :( ), it is £20 a week more expensive than I am paying now, however that does include hay, which my current livery doesn't.

From speaking to my mum, who came with me to view the new place, she thinks it is amazing and I should go there now, however she is not the one who will have to be up to turn him out every day followed by driving 110 miles a day and a full day's work.

There is someone who will turn out the horses for you, however there is a charge for this.

On the other hand, my current farm has poorly maintained barbed wire fencing, too many horses for the land (so much so that we are already having to bring them out of the field to graze on the lanes leading up the field, and it is only August!!), all gates are tied on with baling twine etc. We have just found out that the field that was kept for winter grazing is now being used for the farmer's daugher in law's horses, so now we are going to have no winter grazing.

I am absolutely hopeless at making decisions, and I just don't know what to do. I am hoping for a pay rise in the next couple of weeks or so, so if that goes through, it will help pay for the cost of morning turnout for me.

I also feel that if I was bringing him in at night, he would probably get ridden in the school more often, as the temptation now is to just check he still has 4 legs and then go home for an early tea!!

So, does anyone keep theirs stabled at night all year round on DIY, if so, how do you cope?

Does anyone also have any advice/suggestions as to what I can do??

Not had a horse for years, but when I did have mine, I paid more for a nicer yard, had the same kind of amenities that you are being offered and jumped at the chance to move there. I paid the extra to have her turned out in the morning, to save me an extra hour and mileage. Horses had to be in by 7pm but that was no hardship. I got to the yard around 6 ish, mucked out and got her in. I would say its worth the extra cost.

i don't have horses ( i think they are great though), you say it is £20 more a week but this includes hay where as your current one doesn't, what i was thinking was perhaps the cost of the hay that you currently pay for, (you will no longer have to pay) cover the cost of the person to turn him out for you (hope that makes some sense)

Good point about the hay, but at the moment in summer he is costing me £56 a month to keep, as he is out 24/7. At the new place he will be costing me £136 a month + bedding + turnout charges. Although I will get to ride him and enjoy him. I suppose when you actually work out how much extra it will cost, it isn't that much more, but am still not sure.

Will have to email boss and see if payrise has been approved yet!!

Is there a chance someone at the yard is like you and would appreciate you turning their horse out and they do yours maybe a morning or two a week so you both get a lie in on your morning off.

Mine are stabled each night throughout the year and as i'm on my own theres no one but me to do them and some mornings it is a struggle to get up around 5ish to do them then walk Izzie. Make sure you take into account price of extra bedding compared to what you're using now. The new place sounds much better than where you are and i hate barbed wire after my horse escaped years ago and jumped into a farmers field landing on barbed wire and ended up being stiched up, so i'd move on that basis alone!

I have a friend who has an ex racehorse. What she does is take it in turns with other ladies at the stables to look after each others so it's not an every day thing. Although I guess it takes longer on the days you do it as you have more to deal with. Is that an option? The new farm sounds great.

As you will have no winter grazing at your present yard, I'd say that the extra £20 a week will be about the same as you'll have to pay if you stay where you are. I'm paying £3 a bale for hay off the field - good quality hay, I'll admit - and my horse eats 20 lbs a night. Our grazing at home is gone now as we, like a lot of places, haven't had enough rain to get the grass growing so I also have to feed a day net in the field!

I'm told that hay will be at a premium price this year due to the lack of rain (here) although in some areas the hay crop may have been swamped by too much rain - who knows? :laugh:

In your situation, I would almost definitely move and benefit from the good fencing, well managed land etc. I would also definitely find the money somehow to pay for morning turnout.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you :flowers:

You haven't had enough rain?

I hate you! [tantrums]

I know we're on clay so it does go bone dry quickly but the only place in our paddocks which has any give is where I inadvertently left the hose running for 2 hours :rolleyes:

I think it's because we're so far south east but although we have had a bit of rain (not much by SW standards :laugh: ) it hasn't penetrated the ground. It's raining here tonight (started about an hour ago) but it isn't raining hard. We seem to have a sub-climate in this area so when the weather men say it will be dull, it's bright sunshine and when they say it will be chilly, we have deep snow :)

We do not have 24hr grazing, but around here that is common so its not something I miss, plus Loki is scared of the dark and can't go out at night safely :rolleyes:

Once you settle in I expect that you would find someone to buddy up with, as most people do at our yard (I am sad and like doing Loki morning and evening, but then I don't have a life :laugh: ) You may want to check that it is okay to swap favours as sometimes if a yard has assistance there is a rule you have to use it if you don't do your horse yourself.

Again hay included in your livery is fantastic but check there are no restrictions, such as if you need to box rest him do you have to pay for the extra hay? Also check where the hay comes from and the quality, as if they use horrible hay it can get tricky when its included (I ended up paying for haylage on top which I really wouldn't recommend :wink: )

Can you tell I have been on the yard from hell :rolleyes:

If you get good answers on those things I think you should move there, sounds lovely :biggrin:

They grow their own hay/haylage, so you know exactly where it has come from. The haylage smells gorgeous!! The farmer said that so long as none goes to waste, there is no restrictions, if you waste a load though, they'll just have a word with you, which I think is fair enough!

I actually quite like getting my own morning whinny from Blue, so it isn't really the fact I have to go twice a day, it's the having to get up early which I don't like!! I coped during the winter though, and I suppose if I don't have to do a battle through mud just to get him to the field every morning, that would save some time!! Will definitely see if there is anyone I can 'buddy up' with, even if it just means I get a lie in a couple of times a week!

I spoke to my boss today, and my pay rise has been accepted, and they are just in the process of sorting out me being able to claim expenses for fuel and parking, which will save me loads of money (wot can get spent on Bluebiggrin.gif )

I am pretty much 100% sure I am going to move, as whilst it will be a big wrench to leave where I am, where I know people, Blue just isn't getting ridden as much as I would like, as the facilities just don't allow for it!