UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Kennel Cough Vaccs...

TaraMoochi

last year one of my girls had kennel cough shortly after the weekend, what is your opinion on the vaccs?

I have them booked in for this afternoon, but have visions of them all sneezing right after its been done and £90 sneezed all over me by the woofies!

I would always rather be safe in getting it done, but what do you do? - do your dogs get the vaccs... mine are all very old, but well :flowers:

xx

Kennel Cough is a bit like the flu there are a number of different varities and the vaccination I dont think covers them all.

As Louie is young and what his trainer calls a 'social butterfly' he seems to have built up a tolerance. When there has been an outbreak of KC in our club he hasnt caught it (thankfully).

I think if you have got an older or infirm dog its something to maybe consider.

Holly has the squirt up the nose every year, she did not get KC last year after mixing with your dogs. She does not sneeze it out after either. I think it is well worth while, aspecially as she is getting older.

Barbara

It depends very much on when you are going. The vet will tell you its effective after 3 days but they can shed the virus that was sprayed up the nose for a bit longer. I always insist on my incoming borders to have it at least a week before they arrive. For all the different strains, I have to admit, by insisting on KC through our busier months, we have fared far better in the KC stakes than when we didnt used to ask for it.

So.. if Catherine gets her ladies done this afternoon, they could spread KC to other dogs for a week or so? Did I get that bit right??

Please excuse me for daft questions, I have been bunged on reception this morning and have a large phone exchange thing to mess up :rolleyes:

yes that is correct. If they were coming in kennels on friday, I would not accept them if they had their KC vaccs today. Its worth asking the vet which brand they use and what is the latest info on it, but to the be on the safe side, I ask for a clear week, preferably 2 weeks to be safe. The one time I accepted 2 boxers that had been done 3 days before, I had an outbreak of kennel cough 4 days later ( 3 -5 days to manifest from catching it to coughing or sneezing)

I would say for an outdoor trip like this, if all the dogs are happy and healthy I would forget the squirt up the nose. In a kennel environment, where lots of dogs are inside one building and an airborn virus gets loose it spreads far quicker than in an outdoor senario.

:flowers: Thank you for all the replies - they don't mix with other dogs except for these weekends or the very rare walk with other dogs.

The vet said they should be ok for friday with the one they use as they know we are going away on Friday for the camping weekend (they know all about our Oldies Camping weekends!) xx

I asked my vet a few months ago about the possibility of a recently vaccinated dog shedding live KC virus, and he reassured me that used to be the case with some of the older vaccines but not with any that are licensed in the UK currently.

The 14-days-after-vaccination rule for most boarding kennels is because the vaccine takes 2-3 days to become fully active, so in theory the dog could become infected during this time. The incubation period for KC is up to 10 days, so you can't be sure a dog doesn't have kennel cough until 3 days + 10 days after vaccination.

Just ask them to confirm, that while we know your own dogs will be fine and covered after 3 days, that they can be sure your dogs wont be 'shedding' a live virus after 4 days. All vets are happy to check the labels on Intrac and Nobivac and read the bit where it says effective after 3 days... many dont read down to the bit where it says can be shed up to ' x number of days' and therefore infect other dogs :flowers:

I asked my vet a few months ago about the possibility of a recently vaccinated dog shedding live KC virus, and he reassured me that used to be the case with some of the older vaccines but not with any that are licensed in the UK currently.

The 14-days-after-vaccination rule for most boarding kennels is because the vaccine takes 2-3 days to become fully active, so in theory the dog could become infected during this time. The incubation period for KC is up to 10 days, so you can't be sure a dog doesn't have kennel cough until 3 days + 10 days after vaccination.

thats what my vet told me to be fair, and maybe I was just unlucky, but the only 2 dogs in who had been vaccinated 3 days before arrived and so did kennel cough within the week. Consequently now I use the 2 week rule where ever possible to cover me arse :laugh:

ok called the vets, its nobivac and the vet nurse will check with the vet and call me back around 2.30 to let me know what the live shedding time is!

So basically if its over 3 days, then its best or everyone else's dogs that we don't get it done today - is that right? I had no idea it was so complicated, mine never go into kennels, and I suddenly thought about it on Friday! :flowers:

xx

If you are worried about your dogs getting KC why don't you use the homeopathic nosodes as a preventative especially as they are older. The only time my previous dogs got kennel cough was when they were given the vaccine and as they got older it was nasty. Haven't given a kennel cough vaccine in years and my dogs never get it.

Edited by Anne Grose