UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Following On From The To Buy Or Rescue Thread

one.eyed.dog

Its on my list simply because I'd like a wee/poo free house for a change :laugh:

In a lot of ogs yes it can be overcome and they can be trained or retrained. The ones I've had have had medical issues which have caused loss of bowel and/or bladder control so they've not been able to help it.

It's not something I get annoyed about, but it can be very frustrating.

I can understand that and if you are taking a oldie on is something to consider, but if you are taking on a dog with no medical problems then it's something to work through. :)

Susie is mainly house trained, but sometimes she does forget and will poo in the house (when she has to go, she has to go), often if she's been running around :rolleyes:

Edited by kats n greys

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never house trained a dog in my life. If it was a toss up between a house trained one and an untrained one I go for house trained. Purely because I don't want wee and poo in my house. If the dog is ill that is a different matter.

I always use that as a plus point when someone is talking about buying a dog. I just say about rescues usually being house trained.

I'm lazy I guess.

after 40 years of housetraining almost every dog that came through the door I have had enough of the mess. Pixi is still not 100% clean so I vow now that I will never have another "dirty" dog. I am too old and too ill and I have a grumpy hubby so dogs that are not housetrained are not on my list.

As for pure breed dogs having health problems,often by mixing breeds you can get the health problems of all the mixed in breeds. Its not as clear cut as mixing up the breeds gets rid of the health problems,often they are magnified ! A well bred,pure bred dog stands a better chance of being healthy than a poorly bred,uncared for mutt surely? altho personally, I love a small scruffy mutt and that will probably be my next dog.x

All of mine are rescues and over 30 years I have had a mixture of pedigrees and x breeds - but all through sanctuarys, my vet and some just dumped. My lifestyle has changed with age and I can no longer manage dogs with bad temperaments which may need to be separated, or dogs which are not cat tolerant, dog friendly and child safe. I can't manage young,dogs needing lots of exercise and training as I have in the past, at one time managing a pack of 8 of varying ages, sizes etc. which were all walked twice daily and I worked full time as well! At the time my mother was alive and lived with me and provided a considerable amount of daily care for the dogs and cats, in a bigger house and garden at the foot of a country park. I now live in a terraced cottage with a small garden but lots of walks minutes away, but the advent of grandchildren, arthritis and the need to continue to work part time has led me to modify my foster/adoption life; I have 3 elderly dogs, 2 labs and a deaf collie x, all rescues within the last 3 years at ages 12, 13 and 14 now, and all with health problems ranging from heart murmurs to arthritis and tumours. I also have a 2 yr. old foster Bichon who I have rehabilitated to rehome and she is in the process of introductions just now.

I love the oldies and have no issues with health problems, simply adapt and pay the vet's bills!

My last foster was an elderly GSD with epilepsy and CDRM (rather like Ian's dog) and she was a wonderful dog who brought great joy in the few months she was with me until she went to the Bridge in Jauary.

I must admit I am quite prepared to work on house training as I have with the Bichon, but I would think twice before taking on a dog with long term house training issues as you do get to a stage in life when you really don't want to be shampooing carpets and permanently mopping floors!

Of choice I will support elderly dogs and in my experience they want a comfortable life for their remaining years, with good food, vet care when necessary, gentle walks and lots of love ; they also give so much back.

Labradors are another breed I would not take as rescue as they are so intensivly puppy farmed the risk of getting one of those with mayjor health problems would be pretty high.

Other dogs I would always take as rescue.

Personally, I don't agree with that statement. It's impossible to guarantee health, regardless of how well bred a dog is.

Bumpy had excellent bloodlines and was bred as a working dog who spent the first 8 years of his life as a gamekeepers dog. Despite his good breeding, he still lost his sight.

I said it in the other thread and have many times before, after the expense and heartache I've had with Henry, if I was ever to get another Westie I would go a breeder. I know you can't guarantee their health but at least I could get an inkling

I think most people,regardless of whether they in rescue or not,have breeds that they would not take. People who like lurchery/grey types probably wouldn't take a hyper staffy or a GSD lover probably wouldn't want a yappy,disobedient terrier etc

:laugh: I have both a GSD and a little terrier, it's quite a popular combination round here :D

I have to admit that after the major aggression problems we had with Monty ( :wub: I still miss him ) I would be very wary of taking on another large dog with aggression problems, don't do puppies so thats not an option

When ex took Minke and Barney, it left Dex an only dog, he was miserable and so was I so we had a little trawl of the internet.

My requirements were

Adult in rescue

Dex and noo dog got on

I knew I couldn't cope with a dog with separation anxiety as I have to work so it wouldn't be fair on the dog or my neighbours and I didn't have the luxury of the time to spend trying to overcome it

My would be nice if list was

Noo dog liked me :rolleyes:

Was generally dog friendly, as it was always possible that ex would suddenly turn up and Minke and Barney would be back, and it's still possible with Minke

Housetrained would be good

I had absolutely no idea about what breed or cross would fit in but I'm not a little dog person (and Dex had been used to wrestling with 9 stone Minke) and I thought a bitch but not as mahoosive as Minke so I could walk them together a bit more easily. I initially made enquiries about a staffie bitch but she had moved to another rescue and they didn't reply then I spotted a fat lab cross bitch whose description seemed to tick all of the boxes. A few emails later we went and met and Dex and I found our fatty Fleur girl :wub: and the rest is history.

Waffle, waffle - personality and fitting in with lifestyle beats looks/breed imho

Like I said on t'other thread, I'd basically have a wish list which I would discuss with any rescue, should I have space for another dog, and I'd be open to meet any dog who they would think would be happy to live with us. It would then depend completely on whether we'd all get along with the new addition or not, whether they'd come home with us or not.

I work full time, and as long as I don't win the lottery that won't be changing.

I live in a council flat, on the ground floor with a small yard, enclosed by a 4 ft high fence.

I walk my dogs a good half hour (with, if at all possible, time off lead) before work, a neighbour gives them a quick walk at lunch time and as soon as I get home from work we go out, and regularly to one of our further afield places where they have at least an hour's walk, most of it off lead. Just before bed they have another short walk.

We go for longer walks, of several hours, during the weekends.

I couldn't have a dog who's dog aggressive, seeing as there are already 2 other dogs in the house, and an enormous number of dogs living round here.

Cat aggressive I'm not bothered about; Kiera would chase them for all they're worth, so she stays on lead until we get to the park.

I'd love it if the dog were child friendly - I'm not particularly and I'm sure that Sparks at least picks up on that; I'm finding it hard to be excited in his presence about seeing a kid from up close but I wish he were reliable. If only because we'd be in for a load of trouble if he'd accidently hurt one :rolleyes:

I think that that'd be about it.

Greyhounds wouldn't be my breed of choice, because they appear very delicate and I understand that they are couch potatoes. I love to go for hours and hours on the moors, the woods, the hills and I'd ideally have a dog who'd enjoy that as well. Purely based on looks I'd just love a trailie, a foxhound or a bloodhound, but I doubt it very much that they would be happy with the kind of life style and accommodation that I have to offer so that's not gonna happen.

Kiera was the "teenager from hell" (yes she was, angel faces can be deceiving! :devil:) and I got Sparky because he had behavioural problems. Both of them have taught me and are still teaching me an awful lot, and I am really humbled by their forgiving nature when I c0ck up again and their willingness to learn with me. I do feel like I'm better equipped than before (but by NO means anywhere close to an expert!) to deal with a less easy going dog, and as long as I felt that I had somewhere to go with any problems I might come up against, I would take one on that had been rejected by other people.

I'm not at all fussed about health problems - specially if you already know that there are health issues. Mal has been incorrectly diagnosed so many times that it's been a miracle that he lived as long as he did. If you know what the health issues are then you can educate yourself and try to find ways to help that dog to overcome them (Wendy's Wiggle being a prime example! :flowers:) or at least make their lives as good as they can be within their limits. :)

i have had a mix of pure breeds-some whose pedigrees went back as far as the eye can see to various totally unknowns.

im prepared to take the risk....i tend to think that good food/sleep/execise and keep a lotof health issues manageable-after that its luck

my requirments are simple

happy to be left a bit

must like home cooked food

jazz lover

short coated

enjoy a good walk-but no bouncing tigger like

like a routine

not a yappy dog-a woof is OK

er-no wonder i have hounds!

fee

Our greyhounds will walk for miles with us, sleep well afterwards, but no trouble walking for ages :)

Mine too, but she is right about them being delicate.

LOL at fee4 requiring her dogs to like jazz. What do you do if you adopt one and take it home and it demands you play Iron Maiden??? :unsure: :laugh:

Our greyhounds will walk for miles with us, sleep well afterwards, but no trouble walking for ages :)

Mine too, but if you've worked out how to get yours to go over a fence or stile could you please share the secret? :laugh:

For myself, I'd source any from somewhere that met my ethics and my requirements. At the moment that's something that's best met by the rescue system.

I don't rule out going to a (well-researched) breeder at some stage in the future, but my home life is just not suitable for a pup right now. No matter, there's loads of great dogs in the rescue system.

Edited by Terrier

Mine too, but if you've worked out how to get yours to go over a fence or stile could you please share the secret? :laugh:

simple pick em up :D would be ever so rude to expect a greyhound to do that now wouldn't it :laugh: :rolleyes:

basically my requirement are..

good temperament, with kids and other dogs, can be left for a few hours,

and now, wouldnt of thought of it before but recall off lead, as Elvis (greyhound) has NONE..and cannot run free..I do miss that in him ALOT I must admit, it makes me extremely sad :wink:

and thats it..well I will never say never but always try to opt for dogs over 2 - 3 yrs old also.

Health wouldnt come into it for me, nor looks, nor sex, nor breed.