UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rat Owners - Sdav

KathyM

Can I advise rat owners and rescues to be particularly vigilant at the moment due to SDAV doing the rounds?

http://www.nfrs.org/sdav.html

17 of my rats are poorly after attending two shows (most likely picked up at the first). Several other ratteries are infected up here, and a rescue is on lockdown following a spate of deaths.

Lisa has lost 3 so far, I haven't lost any but that is more than likely set to change. :( The main symptoms we have seen are:

Most cases are fluffed up

Some have weight loss

Some are lethargic

Some have throat swelling to varying degrees, mostly minor

Some, but not many, have v. slightly enlarged eyes - not so much to notice usually, but because we're watching for symptoms

Some are sneezy, but not many

Some have porphyrin round their eyes and/or nose

Lisa's first death was quite dramaticly obvious as SDAV, and given that enlarged lymph glands and/or eyes are diagnostic symptoms, we are certain we have it here. My rats have been ill for 2 days with no deaths so far. Most healthy adult rats will survive this virus depending on whether they develop secondary infection.

If you think you have a case of this, can I please beg you to contact the NFRS and let them know. xxx

Sirius now has secondary pneumonia and needs a miracle if he's going to make it through the night. He has had all treatment and is sleeping after some brandied and honeyed milk. Anorexia needs to be added to the symptom list, some of my affected rats are refusing food and water and are having to be syringe fed. :mecry:

Thank you all so much! Both boys are still with us. Double D has nearly recovered, I am pleased to say. He was not as ill as Sirius. Sirius is fighting it, he is still desperately ill but is stronger than the other day, just. I am not ready to give up if he's not, he is at least not in pain now as he has good pain relief now. It is a very painful illness for them to have apparently. All others are now recovering well. This is such a bloomin' awful disease. I am very grateful to the NFRS for all their help and support and am glad that all the rat clubs have cancelled shows til autumn now. Unfortunately some people are still selling and homing rats while infected, so it will still be going round no doubt.

We are in lockdown for the next 6 weeks, nothing in, nothing out. Please everyone be very vigilant with your rats. :mecry:

Thanks, looks like we're out of the woods now and we have been very lucky indeed that we have had no losses. Other people affected by this outbreak lost up to 20+ in two days. :( We are still in quarantine for now but are feeling very lucky. Thanks for the support, it was lovely of you all xxx