UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Work Issues..........

K9Fran

My boss is lovely, I love my job, but..........

I was taken on as an administrator/accounts person - 30 hours a week. Since the start of May I've worked 2 x 6 day weeks and about 9 houirs overtime on top of that. I'm working the same basic hours that my predecessor did, only our turnover has more than doubled. I worked 50 mins extra yesterday, and was told I could leave early today - it's #3 son's 12th birthday, so that worked nicely. When I got in this morning, my boss needed another intensive project done (as part of the stuff I'd been doing yesterday) as well as the day to day admin, so instead of leaving 50 mins early, I got to leave 15 mins early.

My boss is one of those people that nobody ever says no to - he asks you to do things, and you find yourself doing them because he's so nice and you can't think of a good enough reason not to do as he asks, but just occasionally, I'd like to be able to leave 'on time' and get home to my family (especiallly as my OH works weird shifts, so we only spend 2 weekends in every 5 together).

Now I know you are going to say -'why don't you tell him how you feel'. I don't because I've got myself into such a state about it that as soon as I start to think about it, I start to cry :(

Would it be appropriate to put it in an email, and what do I say?

:GroupHug: not really sure how you would phrase the email, but do you get paid over time? If so your boss probably doesn't think further than "its ok she's paid for staying on, not taking advantage" so maybe just say that working lots of overtime constantly is putting a strain on your life outside of work and you can only do maximum of 2hrs overtime a week or something like that ...

Not sure if that is any help but good luck!

I was hoping some clever training/assertiveness/HR person would come along and comment so I didn't have to!

To be honest, my opinion is that for something like this, in the first instance you need to talk "face to face". If I received an e-mail, however nicely written, saying what you obviously need to say, I think I would be at least hurt, and possibly not receive it as well as you intended, and there would be no chance of a dialogue.

My suggestion would be to sit down with yourself first, and work out what you want to say and how.

You've already covered a lot of this in you post -

"I enjoy my job

You are a good boss to work for because ......

As you are aware since I took on this role there has been an increase in work

I don't mind doing additional hours occasionally (if that's true)

However ........."

Then go on to explain that you appreciate that urgent work does come up at short notice, however to do the extra hours needed to complete this, impacts on your family life.

Or ask for the overtime if that's what you need.

The open it up by asking if there's a way this can be resolved.

Let's face it, your boss may honestly think that work is the most important thing in your life!

Having worked out the constructive things you want to say about your job boss, and the things you want changing, by all means send an e-mail to your boss or his Secretary saying "you'd like a meeting, for half an hour, subject does not require any advance preparation by your boss. Make sure this is held in your boss' office with the door closed - or if he doesn't have an office, ask for a room to be booked for the meeting.

I can absolutely understand why this could make you :mecry: - but we'll all be here for you. And if it was me, one of the reasons I would be :mecry: is because it is so important to you to spend that special time with your family - so why not give yourself the chance to enjoy your job AND your family life. Lucky you. :)

Feel free to chuck it all back at us now. :)

Can you do a quick calculation of how much more paperwork there is now that turnover has doubled? It might give both you and your boss a way of working out how many more hours are needed to get the job done properly.

Some good advice above. In your place I'd ask for a short meeting rather than write an email, but it would be a good plan to take along your list of good/bad things as bullet points to make sure that everything gets talked about. I'd also ask for a follow up meeting a week or so later to discuss a plan of action for resolving the problems.

Hope you can get it sorted out :GroupHug:

Thank you lovely sensible Fugees.

We are a very small company - it's literally just me and my boss (and the office dog, who is probably on my side, as she hates it as much as I do when work interupts her family life), so I AM the secretary - so note to self - book meeting with the boss!

I couldn't believe it when I looked at my mobile this morning, to see a message from him asking about a booking we'd made for one of our performers -had I asked for the payment cheque to be made payable to the right person?...... I replied asking what he wanted me to do about it, the performer had the contact details for the client and should have contacted them, and he came back saying nothing, the performer had contacted the client. But it's disrupted my whole day. It's complicated by the fact that although it is my mobile, the sim card is a contract which is paid for by the company.......

Update - made a Dr appt first thing, as been feeling rubbish all weekend - panic attacks when all I was doing was watching F1 (go Jenson!).

His diagnosis - my employer is overdrawn at the bank of Fran!

I told my boss when I came in, he seemed fine, then got a weird phone call from a friend of his ex wife (of 3 years) and has now bolted to his GF for a cuddle, leaving me on my own for lunch........ I'm ignoring the phone while I'm taking my lunch break :mecry:

I'm ignoring the phone while I'm taking my lunch break :mecry:

Leave the building now, go for a walk, find somewhere to sit with your sandwiches, whatever. Get out so you can't feel guilty if the 'phone does ring.

(Don't tell me, you're in the middle of an industrial estate, and it's pouring down with rain!)

Thanks Mrs B, no, I'm really lucky, I work from my bosses house in a lovely residental area. Phone rang three times in 30 mins, then boss walked in complaining that somebody had phoned him because they couldn't get an answer on the office phone (they hadn't left an answer phone message) - I told him I must have been in the loo!