UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Books Did You Read As A Child?

Mrs B

Books Aisling has had for set text work over the last few years

Of Mice and Men

Great Expectations

Tempest

there are more but I can't remember what they are , I know she has had a lot of poems to read as well

I remember I had

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Catcher in the Rye

Animal Farm

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel
to add Animal Farm

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaaah such nostalgia :biggrin:

I learnt to read before starting school. My dad used to sit me on his lap and make me read some of the words from the newspaper, started with ands and thes and went from there. As my dad's favourite paper was the Sporting Life, I was soon able to read phrases like 'by a nose' 'photo finish' '10 to 1 on' :laugh:

At infants school it was Janet and John.

At junior school it was on to a set of colour coded reading books called wide range readers. I loved those as the stories were really exciting - at least I thought so.

I too am an Enid Blyton girl - read Famous Five, Secret Seven, Mallory Towers and St Clairs. Loved the boarding school books and was desperate to go to a school like theirs :rolleyes: I re-read all the boarding school books a few years ago and I still liked them even though they're so outdated now. I loved Heidi when I was 8-10, don't know how many times I read that.

Secondary school was all pretty boring - Shakespeare play every year (yuck) - did Macbeth for O level

Novels included Under the Greenwood Tree, Lord of the Flies ( scared me :ohmy:), Cider with Rosie, Great Expectations, Animal Farm but I have no idea what I did for O level - obviously didn't make much of an impression :laugh: And we always did a poetry anthology (double yuck)

But I loved reading then and still do now and I read a whole variety of stuff from chick lit to classics :biggrin:

No Lesley it wasn't them. Thanks though. :flowers:

Might be Scotslass. Have had a look on Amazon. Story seems to fit. I think I'll have a read of that again. Thanks :flowers:

I tried to read Heidi no end of times as a child and never managed to get very far with it.

There was a fantastic book called "The Tree That Sat Down" that I enjoyed when I was around 12/13

Edited by Jacobean

The reading series at my primary school was Dick and Dora with Nip the dog and Fluff the cat. I already had the basics of reading before I started school, and still remember the absolute tedium of those awful repetitive stories "Oh look Dora, Fluff is in the tree" "Yes Dick, Fluff is in the tree" Arghhhh :wacko:

To make things worse, at my tiny village school there were only two other children the same age as me, and for some reason we weren't allowed to change our story books until all three of us had finished the previous one, if I finished it before the others I was told to go back and read it again! At home at the same age I was reading Beatrix Potter and Winnie the Pooh to myself.

Somehow I managed not to be put off reading for life and was an avid reader as a child (still am), I loved the Katie books, The Secret Garden, Noel Streatfield (White Boots and Ballet Shoes), Black Beauty, The Jungle Book, Alice in Wonderland as well as Enid Blyton and a whole range of boarding-school-and-pony type books. I particularly loved a series of adventure books by Willard Price, all based around animals in some way - African Adventure, Safari Adventure, Whale Adventure etc - and used to get them out of the library and read them again and again :laugh:

Strangely I can't remember now which set books I did for 'O' level (as it was then). I did Emma for 'A' level, which sadly resulted in ruining a wonderful book for me, as even 35 years later I've never been able to face reading it again :(

This going to be a total long shot I'm sure. Is anyone on here Welsh and can relate to the following:

"Ble mae Mott?"

"Mae Mott yn y fasged"

:laugh: :laugh:

Also remember reading Aesop's Fables as a child and loved them. The ladybird books, of course, loved them. The Catcher in Rye is another also. I also read the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew. Enid Blyton of course.

At school, I remember reading A Midsummer night's dream, Othello, Macbeth, Hamlet, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, The French Leiutenant's woman and prob more that I've forgotten.

Someone put me out of my misery and tell me the name of that Shakesperean play within a play - Hamlet I think, 2 chap's names. Something like Goldenstein and ???? are dead :wacko:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern - in Hamlet, but also stars in their own right in a hilarious Tom Stoppard Play, it was that which was called Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Edited by Fee

This going to be a total long shot I'm sure. Is anyone on here Welsh and can relate to the following:

"Ble mae Mott?"

"Mae Mott yn y fasged"

:laugh: :laugh:

Ah yes ...

Mae Sioned yn mynd i'r siop.

Rhodri a Simon yn mynd i'r siop.

Shw mae Sioned.

Shw mae Rhodri.

Shw mae Simon.

:laugh:

I have always had a love of reading and when i was naughty as a child

i was sent to my room

not much punishment when we only had a black n white telly with 3 channels,

as my room had a massive bookcase so stuck my nose into a book and I was in heaven.

Just remembered my dad had all the Jennings books and read and re-read them

over and over again.

I forgot about of mice & men, and catcher in the rye, at school they were

dull dull dull, am sure if i re-read them they would be stand out classics

I loved the hobbit and lord of the rings, read them at primary school but not since.

Ah yes ...

Mae Sioned yn mynd i'r siop.

Rhodri a Simon yn mynd i'r siop.

Shw mae Sioned.

Shw mae Rhodri.

Shw mae Simon.

:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: Oh the memories. Can you recall what the books were called? The characters were all stick men and women and dogs of course :laugh:

ooh books have always loved them! read very early too as did my daughter. Can't really remember what I did for O' Level but know 'Merchant of Venice' was in there - is not for me but my daughter who is in her 20's loves it & still goes to Stratford when she gets the chance to watch a play.

I read to her from day one really - wonderful books i had enjoyed, 'The Secret garden', 'The Borrowers', all of the Narnia tales, the 'Last Battle' being my favourite...I could go on...I can remember at primary school her teacher saying 'you can't possibly have read Animal Farm' but we had, how lovely it was to share those books again. I also discovered Roald Dhal & we read every one, saw every play we could get to, our tastes have changed slightly but we still both read a lot of the same books & prefer them to films.

I grew up on Enid Blyton books and loved going to the library and gettign new books out. I also wanted to go to one of the boarding schools in the stories. I am sure Elinor Brent-Dyer (a fellow lass from South Shields!) did some boarding school stories as well.

A Level English was:

Hamlet

Richard II

Jane Austen's Persuasion

Wuthering Heights - Still my favourite book

Faustus

Chaucer's Wife of Bath's Tale

Wilfred Owen's War poetry

Watership Down was a favourite along with Secrets of Niamh (think that was the name). Loved the Borrowers too! :flowers: My sister had some of the Brian Jacques Redwall series which I liked reading when she wasn't looking. :biggrin:

Oooh, I'd forgotten about the Narnia books, I adored them, and loved reading them all again to my own children. White Fang and Tarka the Otter were favourites too.

I also discovered Agatha Christie when I was about 12 and read the lot!

This thread is bringing back so many memories :flowers: