UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Much Does An Extension Cost To Build?

phoebejo

I can tell you how much ours was but a lot depends on materials used, size etc etc.

We added a two storey extension to the side of our house. It is 5m x 5m in size, on both floors that is (obviously :rolleyes: ). It is a timber clad extension and I believe brick is more expensive but then our expensive timber shingle roof made up for that!

Taking out bathroom and kitchen fittings etc and just looking at a raw plastered shell with floors, I reckon it was around 60K. We had to do a lot of underpining, which cost a bomb, so providing that isn't needed then you could easy take off another 5k.

Nice house btw :flowers:

Edited by tegk68

The house is similar to mine, what we did was convert the garage into a 4th bedroom. Knocked doorway through from hallway. It wasn't expensive to do but this was years ago. We really didn't have to do much, just a window, add a radiator, wiring and plasterwork and flooring. Lots of people have done this around here and many have added a shower-room/loo. If we had built on top we would have needed a double thickness of walls downstairs to take the weight of the extension, we couldn't afford it so went for converting the garage.

AnnS

Hi,

We have just been looking into this and our builder has told us to work on £750 per sqaure metre for a single storey extension - that is for all the building work and doors and windows...but on top of this you will have plumbing and electrics.

Also you have to take into account the planning application fees as well.

That is an average price, some builders charge a lot more than others, but it gives you a starting point

:thumbsup_still:

Just looked at the house...very nice...if you are thinking of building on top of the garage you would have to check that the footings are right for you to be able to do it...otherwise you will have to knock the garage down and build it up again with the right footings in place.

Been there and done that as well! :liebe94:

We did ours a little over a year ago and all told it was about £40k - that was the demolition of the old extension and the re-building of the new. We have to use expensive lakeland slate here too. The builders costs were actually very reasonable, it was the plumbers and electricians that swallowed up big chunks of the budget. £8 grand alone to the plumbers and about £5 grand to the electricians. The architect and planning process cost us almost £2,000 but then we are in a national park.

There is already planning permission in place for a two storey extension with a utility room downstairs & master bedroom with en-suite upstairs. I wouldn't want it that way though, I'd get rid of the garage, have a dining room & downstairs cloak room with two bedrooms upstairs. It's similar to the house we're already in and that has an extension downstairs to make the kitchen bigger and with one bedroom over the garage and another one over the new kitchen bit. If we stayed here eventually our plan was to get rid if the garage and turn that into a dining room & cloakroom.

It's all accademical now anyway because Mr Hazell says he doesn't like it :rolleyes: I've just taken a de-tour on my way back from the tip and driven past the house. The photo was very kind :laugh: I do like where it is though and the kids could stay at their schools.