UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Quick Ollie Update...........

Tempest

Just thought I'd do a quick update on Olls as we were back at the vets yesterday (to get him checked before his insurance with M&S runs out) and he'd been getting worse on his legs in the last few weeks so I was fairly sure we'd need to up his meds :mecry:

Tbh it was pretty much what I was expecting - the neurological condition has got worse and he's got v. little feeling in his back end at all - the vet went over him with a kind of needle poking him and checking for reactions. He's also got patches in his front end with no feeling either so the problem is spreading up the spine (which I think I already knew in all honesty).

I asked her to be be brutally honest with us and explained about the insurance running out and whether she thought we should renew the policy or look elsewhere and she reassured me that there really is no further treatment beyond the steroids and that in her opinoin Olls won't be with us beyond this winter :mecry: She can't give us any type of time scale at all but at the moment all the time we have with him is a massive bonus and on the plus side I've got six weeks off school in the summer to have a v. special last summer with my boy :GroupHug:

On the plus side he can't feel any pain whatsoever, even to the point where he can no longer feel the pain from his arthritis in his hips which is a huuuuuge bonus and the vet told us that as far as he knows there's nothing wrong with him at all and he's probably wondering why we've even taken him to the vets :laugh:

I think as we all get older (both us and our dogs) something is going to eventually catch up with us and I think the positive side of this kind of condition is that it's completely painless and if I could wish anything for Olls that's what I wish for I think, just that he's not feeling any pain :GroupHug:

At the moment I seem to be feeling surprisingly calm and positive about it all. I'm just focussing on the fact that he's had a fab 5 years with us and if he'd stayed in Ireland realistically his life would have ended 5 years ago :( I don't know if it sounds odd but I'm just so pleased that he's not in any pain and that is never going to change - he's never going to know that he's ill and (unlike us humans) he's not going to care if his walk looks odd and if he falls over for no reason and I think knowing that is really helping a lot :GroupHug:

I've decided just not to renew his M&S policy and take the decision to have no insurance for him at all. The vet has given us a six months supply of his steroids and glucosamine (so I can claim all that from M&S before the policy ends) and realistically if he was diagnosed with something else that was life threatening I know we'd opt not to treat it as we wouldn't want to put him through it so for us, I hope, having no insurance is probably the right decision :wacko:

Jules you sound so brave and completely together about Ollie's prognosis, you keep thinking along those lines girl! :GroupHug: Its really good news that Ollie isn't in any pain and as you say, you have the time to really enjoy this summer together. I'm sorry the news wasn't better in the long run but he's a lucky boy to have you to look after him.

Gosh Jules I know I wasn't this pragmatic about when this happened to my first dog Stitch. I was in bits when we got told we only had a few months left with him as the tumour regrew in his spine and he gradually lost the use of his back legs. We said goodbye to him when incontinence was a hairs breath away as Stitch could never tolerate anything like that.

The blessing for you is that Ollie is still totally oblivious to all this and you can really enjoy his last summer and have some wonderful memories.

Love and hugs to Ollie

Thinking of you all. Your outlook on things will help him too. I've noticed positivity can really help them along. There is something I'm wondering and I don't want to build up false hopes. My Dad had something the matter with him about 4 years ago now and we feared the worst with him. He very quickly couldn't use his fingers and the docs said he would be in a wheelchair within months. He was heading that way as he was losing all feeling. He spoke to a chemist in Cheshire (recommended by someone who had a similar condition). He started taking some pills and saw a heck of a difference in a couple of months. My Dad has nothing the matter with him now and is very sprightly at 76. He's back to normal. It was neurological. The pills I think were Alpha Lipoic acid but I can't remember for sure right now and could be getting mixed up. I could find out. I do have the number of the chemist. I realise that possibly a dog can't take our remedies but just thought I would mention it on the off chance you might want to try it. My Dad was and gets very frustrated that the docs won't mention this to people because so many like him could be helped that have ended up in wheelchairs. Whether you wish to pursue this or not I hope your gorgeous boy is with you a good while yet :GroupHug:

Edited by Jacobean

Thanks for that link that's really interesting - we're in touch with a homeopathic vet and he's on Vitamin E too which I think helps with nerve endings so I'll mention this to the vet too :wink:

I think what's helped me stayed positive too is that we thought we were going to lose him back in January so the time since that really has seemed like a bonus and has helped to give me time to mentally prepare for what is ahead. I'm not saying I'll manage to keep my positive outlook but while I've still got it I intend to make the most of it!

I'm also really aware that I don't want Olls picking up on my being down/worried too. He's bright and happy at the moment so I'm doing my best to take my lead from him so to speak and appreciate every moment.

Edited by Tempest

Very sorry to hear what the vet had to say - but you know what Jules, I've met and known of various animals and people that have far exceed vet and doctor expectations.

I think what's helped me stayed positive too is that we thought we were going to lose him back in January so the time since that really has seemed like a bonus and has helped to give me time to mentally prepare for what is ahead. I'm not saying I'll manage to keep my positive outlook but while I've still got it I intend to make the most of it!

Good for you, it's not easy, I know :flowers:

May I put Ollie on the Reiki lists please? If that's ok, do you have a good photo? There's also the distant healing network:

http://www.the-dhn.com/forms/petrequest.html :)

Love to you and Ollie :GroupHug:

Lots of :wub: :wub: :wub: to Ollie and all my respect to you Jules, for being so positive about his condition. It really is inspiring and very likely just what Ollie needs :flowers: :flowers: (and tbh you've just given me a kick up my backside too, because I do struggle to stay positive about Mal, so thanks for that :flowers: )

Aw Jules. Hoping you have a great summer with Olliepops :wub: And if we can be part of that at times too it would be lovely - was lovely to see you over Easter. Ollie has a very, very special place in our hearts here :wub:

Jules, make the most of the time you have left with Ollie and as you can stop worrying about varying treatments that 'might be'. :GroupHug: I hope that every day is sunny this summer so that you and Olls can enjoy every second that you have left to share. :wub: We expect lots of photos of your special boy.