UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Big Job Dilemia.........

Tempest

Having a huge 'job crosscroads' dilemia at the moment that I'd really appreciate some help with :)

At the moment I'm on a one term contract in a primary school after being secondary english trained and working in secondary schools but being out of teaching for a few years.

Over the last few week's I'd been keeping my eyes peeled for work from September and saw a part time English post offered at a local grammar school that I'd done my main teaching practice at in 2000 (so year's ago now). I decided to apply and give it a go and was offered the job this week but there are some issues over timetabling with it that are making it hard to accept. I'd need to keep 2 days free to also do supply as I can't live on just doing part time only and I'd made that clear at interview but in the offer letter they said that my timetable would 'have to fit in with the needs of the school' which could mean it being spread across 5 days which wouldn't obviously work for me :err:

I phoned the head yesterday and explained my concerns and basically he was very understanding but really wants me for the job and wants me to go in and see him next week to see how we can sort things out and I get the impression that he's going to bend over backwards to try and make the job work for me.

Then just to throw something else into the mix the head at the school I'm at now called me in to her office on Friday to tell me that there IS going to be a post available at my current school from September. It's just a one year fixed contract but it's with a Year 3/4 class (which is what I have now) but there's another teacher at the school who has been with them on a two term contract so to be fair to both of us the post is going to be advertised and we'd both have to apply etc - so I may not get it at all. Having said that I think I would probably stand a fairly good chance.

At the moment I just feel in a total qandry. I have to say that I have found my first half term with my own class tough. I know we've had Ofsted and it's been a real baptism of fire but I do feel totally and utterly knackered most of the time (which I know most teachers do!). I do LOVE the staff at the school though and find it a v. friendly place to work but the kids are pretty challenging and I do find dealing with some of the behaviours on a day to day basis v. v. draining and I think that's my biggest concern (but you do feel like you're actually making a difference to the kids and giving them some stability). Whereas at the grammar school there would be no behaviour issues but the staff are very stuffy and not so friendly but I'll hopefully feel less exhausted :err: The other issue is that the marking workload at the grammar school (with GCSE and A level classes will be huuuuuge!)

The other thing that I quite like about the grammar school job is that they'd offer me the chance to spend 2 periods a week going into primary schools as a kind of 'literacy liason officer' between primary/secondary and I think that could be a good opportunity too.

I think the main issue is that I really don't feel like I know myself where I want to be in 5 years and what path I want to go down and I'm just totally totally confused!!!! I also know that I need to make some kind of decision fairly quickly and that isn't helping me decide either

If the grammar school can organise a timetable which suits you, I would take that post. It is so wearing to deal with disruptive behaviour day after day. As a teacher you are paid to teach not to be worn out with endless crowd control issues. In the end you will feel so fed up and worn out that you will start to hate teaching. Just think how lovely it would be to teach your own subject and not have the hassel of the problems you are expereincing now. I started my teaching career being very idealistic, but now when I go to a school with children who actually want to learn and have basic manners, it it a pleasure to teach them.

See what the head has to offer. That may make any decision easier for you.

Make a list of the pro's and cons on each job. That may help you.

You say the grammar school staff are stuffy. Are you basing this on your previous experience? Things may have changed over the years.

Although you would have extra marking with exams, that would only be a certain times.

Job satisfaction counts for a lot - just look at the number of people on hear who are unhappy in their work.

Provided working hours/days can be agreed, go for the Grammar School. If you are finding it tough after one term where you are now, imagine how you'll feel after a couple of years. You might think the Grammar School staff are stuffy, but maybe they will be okay once you get to know them.

Edited by merledogs

You say the grammar school staff are stuffy. Are you basing this on your previous experience? Things may have changed over the years.

Although you would have extra marking with exams, that would only be a certain times.

Yep am basing that on previous experience and the fact that most of the staff are still the same as when I was there before - I think it's the kind of place that once people get a job there they don't leave! Most of break/lunch time seemed to be spent discussing grammatical issues and the like lol!

The extra marking would mainly relate to coursework so that would be ongoing throughout the year really but I have to say I think marking piles of essays at home is less tiring that dealing with behavioural issues.

Thanks for all the input though guys - I think what's making it particularly hard is that I think I've really 'fitted in' well with the staff at the school I'm currently at - without blowing my own trumpet I think I've impressed them with how well I've coped in what have been v. difficult circumstances and it's a really great feeling to know you're respected and well thought of at work.

where ever you go will have its own peculiar set of problems.

I know you will have to deal with the parennts from hell at the grammar school, who will personally blame you when there prodigy doesn't get the A* that they knew they should have got, there will be a lot of pressure on you with grades etc

I have found that being in a challenging school is extremely hard for the first year , but then lots of things seem to slip into place etc, IF the head and SMT are supportive and realistic

I can only speak from my own experience of teaching many years ago. My first teaching job was in an Inner London primary school with all the issues of control and difficult behaviours that you'd expect in that situation. It was tough, and it was exhausting (though less so after a while - you do build up a repertoire of ways to deal with things over time) but the staff and the head were wonderful - totally supportive of one another and a really good bunch of people to work with.

My next job was in a selective middle school out in the suburbs. I thought it would be a doddle after the first job, which in some ways it was; the children were fine, well behaved and motivated with supportive parents, but the atmosphere among the staff was horrible, it was all bitching and back-biting and the head ran the place like a little Hitler. I hated it, and it was that experience rather than the 'difficult' school that put me off teaching.

Of course I'm not saying the grammar school would be as bad as that, but a nasty atmosphere and unfriendly staff can be every bit as exhausting as dealing with difficult children and can wear you down over time. If the grammar school staff are just 'stuffy' then that's probably survivable!

Good luck with whatever you decide :flowers:

Have no experience of teaching and wouldn't want to advise either way Jules, but working for a good/bad boss with good/bad colleagues can make such a difference in any job, I would certainly hold that in consideration :) The best of luck for whatever you decide :flowers:

where ever you go will have its own peculiar set of problems.

I know you will have to deal with the parennts from hell at the grammar school, who will personally blame you when there prodigy doesn't get the A* that they knew they should have got, there will be a lot of pressure on you with grades etc

You're exactly right there elricc and that's one of the things I'm quite worried about too :unsure:

I think that after thinking about it all weekend I've decided to bite the bullet and go for the job in my current primary school. It is quite a big risk as I might not even get it as the other teacher on contract has been there for 2 terms but if I don't try for it I think I'll regret it.

I think ultimately my heart lies in primary and I really do love the staff/atmosphere in my current school and I think that's really important. The other issue is that the salary is going to be hugely more to stay there (as it gets a London fringe allowance) so I think it's the difference between about 15,500 for three days a week at the grammar school and 27,500 for full time at my current school - so not to be sneezed at really :wink:

I have only been a parent that has helped in school when my children were young. (hopefully not from hell!! :biggrin: ) Got no advice, but HUGE admiration for people that teach. To my mind it is one of the most difficult jobs on this planet.. Good luck with whatever you decide. :flowers: