UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hello! From Horse Rescue (and Dogs)

palomino

Hello all!

I'm in Devon and I rescue horses. I have a small non-profit organisation called Last Angel Equine Defence. Soon to be renamed Last Angel Equine Rescue (as we've had the 'defence' bit in the name for too long, and we think it's time to lose the word!) I'm on a steep learning curve! Not with horse rehabilitation, I know how to do that part! But with all the other necessary things needed to turn the organisation into a charity etc etc. My goodness, it's a maze!! But, slowly but surely we're getting there :)

My other project is Pound Dog Rescue Link. It's basically an information site and I set it up about a year ago. But I'm soon going to be handing the admin of it to someone who has the time to give to it. (I hope!) As, I don't seem to have enough time to do all of it now. But I will still be involved in it and will still do all I can though to help dogs as well as horses :)

Here are some pics of the rescued ponies (so far)

Below is Alfie. This is his 'Before' picture. Alfie is a 13.1hh Welsh Section B X (at least that's what we think he is!) Alfie came to us from a dealer. He was very ill with a chronic chest infection when he first arrived, plus he had a very heavy worm burden (the like of which I've never seen before) and he was also absolutely terrified of people, to the point where he was visibly shaking. The first thing I did when he arrived was take off his headcollar, which was far too tight and had obviously not been taken off for some time. Then I gave him some time and space alone, and only went into his stable to give him his hay, feed and water. He needed to see the vet, trimmer and dentist, so I knew a headcollar would need to go back on him, but I knew that any contact I had with him at this early stage was so important. Actually, all it needed was approach and retreat. I did a bit of a 'monty roberts' :laugh: to the point where Alfie realised I must've read the books, (minus the headcollar) and then just added the headcollar. Showed it to him, let him sniff it and then when I had his interest in it, I moved it away from him. Aha! I could almost see Alfie thinking, why doesn't this woman want me to smell that headcollar?! hmmm, I must investigate this further! I just kept taking it away from him and as I did, he just wanted to be nearer to it even more. All obvious stuff, but I just love the way it works. Why needlessly force them? Apart from the fact that it's a rude way to behave to a horse, it never does any good! So, from there on, our relationship grew stronger and stronger, and before long he completely trusted me. He still has a problem with men, and the only man he really trusts is my husband. When the vet comes, he hates it, but he feels a bit better if he is examined outside, and not in his stable. Poor boy, there's just some horrible memory there that he still can't shift. His chest infection took quite a long time to recover from, But, he is a healthy, happy little soul now, and full of joy and mischief :D He is an absolute sweetheart.

Alfie_before_cropped.jpg

Alfie's 'After' pic. Ah, that's better :)

Alfie_after_large.jpg

Candy

Candy_exmoor.jpg

Candy, 14.1hh Palomino Mare, approximately 24 years old.

The day that I first met Candy, she was standing miserably, lonely and neglected, on a dis-used piece of waste land within a housing estate, and the information I had learned about her future sickened me...she was due to go to slaughter. I was told it was because she had bucked and bolted when someone tried to ride her. Not a good reason to slaughter a horse!!! And, in all the time I have known her, she has never bucked or bolted. Quite an acheivement for any horse! This just proves to me again, that it is usually the way a horse is treated that determines a behaviour.

Candy had 'shut down' emotionally and she was also a very defensive mare, due to the fact that she was unloved and uncared for. After the initial foot care, vet treatment and dentistry was carried out, it took 3 months to gain her trust enough for her to come to me. I spent every day sitting in her paddock reading books and magazines, (much to the amusement of everyone at the livery yard where she was at the time.) Eventually though, she decided that she would come over and see what this odd woman was doing sitting in her paddock every day! And that was it! That was the point at which we became the best of friends. There is nothing like seeing a horse who has lost all trust in humans come around and be willing to trust again.

She is very prone to Laminitis, and I sometimes wonder if that was another reason why she was no longer wanted. Yes, Laminitis can be a difficult condition to manage, but it isn't impossible to manage! It would have been such a waste of a beautiful life.

It took a long time for Candy to gain trust in people, but eventually she trusted again. Once she gained her confidence, her wonderful nature had a chance to shine through. She just needed some understanding, patience and of course, love.

Anyway, this is a long post! sorry! it's nice to 'meet' you all, and I'm pleased to be here

Cathy x

Hello Cathy and welcome to The Refuge - we have a couple of rescues here who also work with horses and dogs and I'm sure they'll be along soon to welcome you themselves :flowers:

Hello! Thank you for the welcome. Why are you the wielder of the pointy stick? Intriguing...

Cathy :)

Hi Cathy :wavey:

Welcome to the Refuge :flowers:

Hello Yantan, thank you for welcoming me. :wavey:

Cathy :)

Hi Cathy! :)

Welcome to the Refuge! You'll find quite a few horsey peeps on here to talk shop with, I'm sure.

Your stories are heart warming, please keep em coming :flowers: I used to be a "horsey girl", but unfortunately always at the wrong side of things, i.e. working as a stable hand at riding stables, where horses need to make money or else are sold off (to slaughter usually :( ). At one point I couldn't stand it any longer, and turned away from this type of involvement with horses. Now my only contact with them is giving the occasional horse I meet in a field, when out on a dog walk, a fuss. They still hold a special place in my heart though :wub:

Hi Cathy! :)

Welcome to the Refuge! You'll find quite a few horsey peeps on here to talk shop with, I'm sure.

Your stories are heart warming, please keep em coming :flowers: I used to be a "horsey girl", but unfortunately always at the wrong side of things, i.e. working as a stable hand at riding stables, where horses need to make money or else are sold off (to slaughter usually :( ). At one point I couldn't stand it any longer, and turned away from this type of involvement with horses. Now my only contact with them is giving the occasional horse I meet in a field, when out on a dog walk, a fuss. They still hold a special place in my heart though :wub:

Hi BillyMalc

Nice to meet you and thank you for the welcome :flowers: What you mentioned about your work in the past with horses must have been tough :( But, once a 'horseygirl' always a 'horseygirl' eh? :biggrin:

x

hello Cathy good to see you back up and running

Hello :biggrin:

Thank you, we're very pleased to be up and running again too!

Hi Cathy :wavey:

Hi Lea

Thank you for the welcome. Very nice to meet you :flowers:

• 2 weeks later...