UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oh (d)ear!

BillyMalc

I've never done my dogs either & nor did my parents and our dogs never had problems with their ears. Harry's 8 now and the vet commented recently on how clean his ears were so I guess nature is doing its thing.

Akita is nearly 12 and has never needed hers cleaned either. We never do it to any of ours.

It will depend on the dog and ear carriage as to whether their ears need checking/cleaning. The two GSDs with prick ears never do, neither does Syd the saluki who although has drop ears they aren't close to his head. Breck the working springer though has ears that need cleaning every now and then (I suspect less than a show springer probably would though) and I check them a couple of times a week as ear infections can set in quickly.

ETA: If your dog doesn't like the ear drops/cleaning then you need to counter condition it. ie. pair the presence of the drops with food, then the drops in your hand, then the drops near their head etc etc. so that eventually they will be happy to have the drops put in as it predicts the arrival of food (think pavlovs bell).

Edited by khanu

Hmmm, will leave the hooligans' ears in that case, but Mal's got floppy ears and they get really dirty sometimes. He's the one who's not really bothered tho, so I just might finish this bottle (will take me about 3 years I guess :wacko:) and should there then be a need for "ear cleaning operations" I'll have a look into Thornitt :flowers:

Another thornit convert here - 2 years ago Nog had a severe ear infection we had all kinds of drops and stuff from the vet and he was a nightmare to try and get his ears done, it ended up with him having to go in and be sedated for a full deep clean (and they never did find out what had inflamed them) I was told I had to regularily clean & check his ears from then on to ensure it never flared up again (I was always convinced it was a bit of pollen or a grass seed that was the start of it) - melf told me about thornit and I have not looked back since. From a dog who used to scream blue murder and head for the hills at the sight of the cotton wool I now have a dog who at the sight of the thrornit tub heads to me at 100mph and rests his head on my knee ready for a session of ear massaging which he finds utterly blissful letting out little groans and grunts of pleasure and nudging my arm if I stop :laugh: It's brilliant stuff - a small tub from ebay lasts forever as you really do only need a small pinch of the powder, it also smells lovely, I've taken to rubbing it between his toes as well whenever they look a little red.

Izzy Flynn and Polly never have a problem with their ears - touch wood but poor old Hun has to have drops quite frequently.. I was going to the vet at £50 odd pounds a time but have discovered that Johnsons ear drops at £3.45 per bottle does the same. She now comes to me if her ears are sore - rolls over and I do the drops. We have squinty eyes and "ooh Mum I dont like this face" but she does the roll over every time :rolleyes:

I wont be going to the vets for drops any more - it would normally take 3 to 4 days for their drops to work whereas Johnsons works straight away - within hours the horrible brown stuff disappears and everything is clean and clear

Yet another Thornit user here :rolleyes: Been using the stuff for about 15 years now. We have had many dogs come to us with horrendous ear problems and we have tried all the veterinary stuff to no avail. What I find with drops/ointments etc is that they keep the ears moist when in fact infections seem to clear up much better when the ear can be dried out which is what Thornit does.

We have has a couple of dogs with pseudomonas in their ears which is very resistant to antibiotics but by using Thornit quite intensively for a while it has cleared it up :)

You just sprikle a teeny pinch of the powder into the ear - don't just tip it as the idea is not to get it on the eardrum, I tend to dip my fingers into the pot and grab a pinch then rub that into the ear then massage the ear so it's all coated inside.