UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs And The Credit Crunch

cheryl33

Now that I am having to live on my old age pension I have my house up for sale because of the running costs. I only heat the rooms I use which has cut down on the heating bills, I gave my house insurance up so I could keep my dogs insurance up and my dogs food was bought before mine. There have been times when all I have had to eat has been porrige but I never thought of giving my dogs up.

My dogs helped me through Bill passing away and that first year without him, I couldn't give them up to have more myself.

I couldn't give them up to have more myself.

Me neither, but the people I was thinking of in earlier posts are those going through terrible situations, such as being evicted from their homes. While people can sit and say they'd keep their dogs even if they were homeless, I am not going to criticise someone for making the decision that their dog would be better off going through a good rescue into a new home.

I can think of one person who was evicted and had to rehome their dog via rescue - I don't know them but from reading their story it clearly was a difficult and heartbreaking decision but they put their dog first and the last thing they need is to be judged.

There will always be people that will give up their dogs too easily, or shouldn't even have got them in the first place - I'm not defending them - but there are genuine cases too.

Even though I don't have much money I am lucky, my house is my own and I also have a caravan I could move into if I needed to, I may have to do that when I leave this house and before I move into another. I also have the love of 6 dogs, what more could anyone ask fo. :wub:

• 1 month later...
I couldn't give them up to have more myself.

Me neither

I'm really struggling too (loss of work and been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, thankfully mild but its a struggle some days) and am just about hanging on to the house, have cut back on all the pets food to the cheapest possible + I live on next to nothing and haven't had a good 'supermarket shop' for months as I can't afford to - my pets are very much my life (sadly two are struggling - thankfully I held on to their insurance policies even though I have to find fares to referral vets and excess payments each time I see the vet because of Ed's age) . Things are pretty sh* but I am hopeful - I have to be to keep going - I've just spend a weekend camping, a great 'free' break (well no more than I would've spent on food at home anyway) and goes to show how you can enjoy life simply and cheaply sometimes and have a good time.

It annoys me when I hear others who say they can't afford their pets yet they have holidays, smoke, etc. and never consider may be re-evaluating and finding ways to cut back.

• 1 month later...

Im afraid im quite selfish and if it came to it we would live in a tent before i even considered giving anyone up. Insurance is very hard to cover FOR 6 dogs and food is too but thats because i choose to find them an expensive food, i have added cheaper to it and we now shop in Morrisons and buy up all the oops and cheap meat and freeze it.

I dont go out, i rarely drink, i dont smoke, the dogs have got me through many hard times and i couldnt just give up on them. If i didnt have them im sure i would be rich in money but not in soul!

Well I am still holding outpretty well, things are on the look up. I have started to sort out being able to claim some benefits next month if I really need it, and can prove how low my income is ( !!!).

Teddy Texas will only eat "First Class" chicken dishes, although he would prefer Rabbit. No doubt he would actually eat something else but I couldnt live though the way he loooks at me. 75 p a go , with a big hadnful of organis brown rice. I have got the cost of my own meals down to the same cost thanks to Sainsbury's cheap brand of ready meals,, which are excellent---cottage pie, lasagne etc helps with the diet followed by an 12p rice pudding, I have a bread machine so bake all of my own bread ,, when I can be bothered ( a bit of a saving there)'

I also get the odd treat from allotment owners or the people who raid the out of date stuff from behind the supermarkets----- I need to get a juicer, so that I can make my own cider ( at this time of years lots of apples going to waste both there and stil on the trees in the park. Also damsond. cherries and plumb line the canal around the back,,, scrumping with a very big basket.

I am thinking about letting out a room when I have got it emptied. I dont know if I can find someone who is TT friendly or if i should seek someone with their own dog.

I am collecting various old materials and building a hot water device in the greenhouse, which gets far too hot at times.in direct sunlight.. This years Strawbs were good but the cucumbers and tomatoes were a waste of time. Reversed radiators to take the heat out should help.

I am hoping to sell a couple of electronic organs and buy a woodburning stove,before the winter. and a device for the fridge.