UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Car Advice Thread - Honda Cr-v/rav 4

merledogs

I have been looking at new cars online :biggrin:

I have always wanted a 4x4 - not cos I want to go off road particularly but because I like the high up driving position and there would be tons of space for 5 dogs.

I was going to get another estate car (Volvo) but the insurance groups are quite high so I have decided to fulfil my ambition and go for a 4x4 instead.

The ones I am looking at are all 2 litre engines (which is the same as my current Laguna estate) but whereas my Laguna is insurance group 13 according to Parkers, the off roaders are all insurance group 11, so lower than the Laguna!

I have done some reading up of reviews on the Freelander, Rav4, Honda CR-V and Hyundai Santa Fe and have decided that the Freelanders are not reliable enough. The Santa Fe has 3.5 stars for reliability by the CR-V and Rav4 are supposed to be extremely reliable so I am going with one of those I think, though if I see a Santa Fe I like, I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I am liking the look of this CR-V at the moment and if it's available I may pop up and see it. I am going to take the RAC or AA man with me so they can check it out for me cos I don't have a clue except that I like the colour :rolleyes:

I would prefer an automatic though, but there aren't as many of them about so a bit limited in choice.

Just wondered if anyone here has a CR-V and if so, what do you think of it, is it comfortable, are parts expensive, etc. Any advice welcomed :flowers:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a Rav4 and a CRV, absolutely loved them both. I only had the 3-door Rav4 and the boot was tiny so when we got Jake I traded it in for the CRV. Then I had to trade in the CRV because we got wobbly Princess Fairy Lurcher Tess and it was a bit high for her to jump into :rolleyes:

When I get back from work I'll dig out my paperwork and see what I paid for repairs and insurance and stuff, if that helps.

I had a CRV and hated it....only because it was sluggish. I'd always wanted one and traded in my Civic T R

Had it six months with no problems at all.

The weak point on them is the rear diffs. Find an empty space, and drive it around on full lock. If you hear any sort of crunching/rubbing noise, the diff plates have become dry and will need replacing.

Another one to consider is the Nissan X Trail, nice and high, has the option of 2 or 4 wheel drive so you can change to suit road conditions. It's very similar in size to the CRV. It's pretty nippy, only thing I don't like is the spare wheel is under the boot floor so have to remove dog guard/tailgate to get at it.

AnnS

I've had a rummage in my paperwork mountain.

The CRV I had was a 2.2 diesel and I got about 39-40mpg.

Great to drive, dead comfy and well-laid out interior. Not a 'first away from the lights' car but once it was moving it went like a bat.

The CRV switches to 4WD only when it feels the wheels slipping, but I still went through a set of tyres every 12 months (about £80 per tyre) although to be fair I was doing about 21,000 miles a year.

£340 to insure.

Last service bill was £130.

Fabulously reliable. Only had it in the garage once, for brake pads replacing.

Can't think of anything I didn't like about it really, apart from as I said earlier, the boot (massive amount of space) was a bit high for an ancient lurcher to jump into.

If I have enough money next time I'm looking, I'd consider a Subaru Forester now that Subaru are doing diesels. Friend has one and it's a bit higher than a non 4WD but more like an estate. Her two portly Labradors do very well in the boot but I dunno if it would take five dogs comfortably.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you go see the car, it looks nice :flowers:

Edited to say it had the best NCAP crash test ratings in its class, or at least that was the case in 2005 when I bought it.

Edited by JulesB

I don't have the CR-V but I do have a Honda Civic and in terms of reliability, it's been fantastic. I bought it as an 03 plate ex-demonstrator from the main dealer when it was 6 months old and had done 7,000 miles. Apart from yearly servicing and having the cam belt changed at 75,000 miles, I've never had a problem with it. It's now done 101,000 miles :ohmy:

I nearly bought a CR-V when i got the kennels but when i took a big crate along it didnt fit in and that was the only thing that stopped me. Everything else i wanted in a 4x4 was in that vehicle. I did like the intelligent 4 wheel drive system. As the crate was too tight a fit, i opted for the jeep grand cherokee instead. Its a deisel, it does around 36-38 to the gallon, has lots of comfort and gadgets and with the seats down is big enough to camp in let alone fit all my dogs in :laugh: The 04/54 plates are the ones that had the mercedes deisel engine put in which are considered one of the best engines around in their class.

Thanks for all your help, and particularly JulesB for digging out all the paperwork :liebe94:

I had an insurance quote for one yesterday and it was £430, which is £100 more than I pay at the moment for my Laguna, which I can cope with.

Seen a couple of Santa Fe's online that I like as well plus I'll have a look at the alternatives suggested :flowers:

did you go through the comparrison sites for that quote alex? Seems quite high or is it a brand new one you are buying? I know im cracking on a bit in age, but my jeep only costs me £498 a year with full business usage added on though i was quoted £296 for just normal driving about cover

That quote was with my current insurer, Sheila's Wheels. I have found a cheaper one for £250 with SureTerm direct but it's only for social, domestic and pleasure and I need the current level I'm on, which also has commuting to more than one place of work, but I assume it wouldn't be that much more expensive. I will look into it further as and when I find a car I want to buy :flowers:

I have an automatic Rav 4 (aka the dogbus) and it's the most reliable car I've ever owned. I love it. I take the back seats out completely which turns it from a nice comfy car into a dog bus but that's why I bought it! I particularly like the low loading boot so nice and easy for the dogs to get in and out.

Would totally recommend it although mines an R reg with about 120,000 miles on the clock now so I'm guessing the newer ones will be different. If I could afford it though I'd replace it with exactly the same (just newer!) :laugh:

I also looked at the CRV's but I think the boot space swung it for me in the end.

Good luck!