UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

V. Girly, Women Only, Advice/confirmation Please

KathyM

Hi you lot

Can't believe I'm asking advice on this, Connie would kill me but I need to make sure I get this right as you only get one chance as a mother!

Connie turned 10 in January. She has started growing up in the form of hair, boobies, spots and temper, earlier than expected but all fairly smooth so far - she's got far more confidence than I had, so that's great. This morning she came to me saying it hurt when she wees and she had some blood come out of her vagina (she has a "kit" ready, so was fairly prepared). She was absolutely certain the blood came from her vagina but it wasn't much. She said it hurt just after a wee, an ache in her privates, not in her tummy, which said to me maybe she was wrong and this is a wee infection. She went out with her cousins earlier to watch a race come along the end of the road, and when she came home she complained it had hurt to sit on the stone wall. She has been very brave and grown up and let me check "down below" (she used to get thrush a lot as a young child - seriously someone should delete this thread when it's over as the archive could mortify her as an adult lol). There isn't anything going on at the minute. She is not bleeding tonight, but she is absolutely certain it came from her vagina and I believe her from our chat (on a side note how cool is it that she came to us with no embarrassment AT all!).

I need to get this right. She has swimming in the morning and a basket ball game tomorrow evening. My gut instinct is to keep her off tomorrow and take her to the docs to get a wee sample done, but part of me says that will crucify her if it's me not recognising a weird first period. Even if I don't go to the docs (eg. if it becomes very apparent it is her first period) I think her having the day off is appropriate as the boys won't be about (she has two older nosey bros) and we get to make sure she's okay emotionally too. I dunno about you lot but I remember my first like it was yesterday and it means a lot to me to get this right for her.

Just wanted to check with you whether I'm doing things right. She has not bled since this morning which makes me think it's not a period, but she is adamant it wasn't in her wee/coming from that area. However, the pain does seem to only occur after a wee. Do I take her to the docs in the morning and risk embarrassing her?

She would absolutely kill me for posting this so if any of you ever meet her don't bloody mention it!! :rolleyes:

I think I would take her to the docs Kathy - the hurting when wee-ing sounds like it *might* be cystitis to me - don't know if you've had it but it can be mild discomfort or horribly painful, I've had both :(

I've taken cranberry juice for it and also drunk lemon barley water (which was what a pharmacist recommended when I was in agony, before I got to a doctor) - don't know if you have either of those in (any barley water will do I think). Even if it's not that, it won't do her any harm until she can get to the docs, will it?

Hope she's ok :GroupHug:

To be absolutely safe, I'd take her to the doctor and check, Kathy. I remember being on holiday when I was 10 and having a few spots of blood one day...and then absolutely zilch till I was 14, when my periods started properly (we were slow in those days... :rolleyes: ). However, I don't remember being sore that first time. I guess it could be quite normal, though - my own daughter's menstrual pattern has always been completely different from mine, for example, so it's hard even for caring mums to know everything. :GroupHug:

It's great that she feels confident enough to talk openly about it all. I know she probably won't want to go to the doctor, but maybe you could say that because she's had thrush before, it's better to have it checked out. If you have a special day together, and do something nice afterwards, she'll probably forgive you. :flowers:

You're a good mum, Kathy. You've done a fantastic job giving Connie the confidence to come to you and be so open. I agree with Ange and Scotslass about going to the doc with the bleeding and pain - just doesn't sound like a period pain. Getting your GP to check is a wise decision. Hope she is ok and I'm sure she'll forgive you.

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: for you both - not easy being a mum or a pre teenager.

If your daughter is getting the pain every time she wees then it's definitely worth a visit to the docs - if it's not cystitis she may have a small graze/ abrasion in that area that is causing the stinging when she wees.

Congratulations by the way as you have obviously have a very close and open relationship with your daughter as she feels at ease in talking to you about this.

Hope she feels more comfortable soon :GroupHug:

Morning chapettes! Thank you very much for your advice all of you, you've confirmed I wasn't being over protective mum and I've booked her in to see the docs this morning. She has not spotted at all since she wiped yesterday morning, so I think that might be coincidental and unrelated? Maybe timing just brought both issues on at the same time, doesn't sound too insane.

She doesn't have any irritation or graze down below (good thinking though!), the pain is apparently an aching "inside" pain in her privates themselves after she wees. She says it isn't burning or stinging, which is what threw me off with the location of the pain (I would've expected a wee infection ache to be a bit higher up, and lower pain to be stinging, but we're all different lol). I made her drink loads before bed and while the pain is still there this morning she says it's not as bad as yesterday, but lasts longer after the wee. She didn't want to make a fuss yesterday because she didn't want to let the basketball team down today. :( She now has confirmation from the school that they will find someone to take her place (the team only has three players even with her so I'm pretty sure they're screwed with or without her lol).

Anyway, thank you all so much for the advice, I think nature has slung two things at us at once and thankfully one has decided to go on hold for a little while!

Well we've just got back (nipped to Morrisons for essentials for Connie too, like chocklit :laugh: ).

She had stage fright when the doc asked her to produce a sample at the docs, but was busting by Morrisons so we nipped a sample back to the docs for the nurse to test. She doesn't have a wee infection (but then her wee was literally colourless and diluted by drinking tonnes through the night and morning). Apparently nothing shows up at all. Doc didn't think she had a wee infection anyway as apparently her symptoms and where the pain is don't fit. He thinks it's something puberty related and has given her some ibuprofen tablets. He's taken her at her word for the bleeding and she has therefore had her first period. Wish mine had been like that!!!

Her wee in Morrisons and her subsequent wee at the docs (lol only after the sample was done!) were painless, so we're hoping if there was anything brewing it was flushed out by the amount of liquid she's had.

She is now sat on the end of the sofa oblivious to what I'm typing on here and munching on Bombay mix and chocolate orange segments. A good healthy diet there. I suppose it's a downhill slippery slope from here to chocolate, Bombay mix, Always Ultra and Clearasil. :laugh: She is, jokes aside, much more relaxed this aft and is she says very relieved that it's all sorted. I am amazed how unphased she's been by this, she's talked to both Baz and I about things of her own volition so I think we're ok there. Phew!

Thank you all for your help! :GroupHug:

Ooo I dunno about that. I've got Dan recovering from a head injury he got at school today (some bullies slammed a gate into his forehead and he is now officially Klingon), and just found out my grant is no longer arriving on 6th, but is now coming on 20th. Dan's birthday is 15th and we were relying on the grant :( Wonderful! God knows what we'll do now but I doubt he'll be getting either of the two things he would like (not that he expected both)!

It's my own fault - Mother's Day was kindof shite, so we said we rerun it today as "Family Day" and obviously whenever anyone's planning anything nice in this house something has to go horribly wrong. :rolleyes: