UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Life Without Dogs?

ClazUK

Ange answered for me :flowers:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommuni...afety/DG_071712

There was nothing wrong with our appliance to the eye, no history of faults of any kind, not an old machine or overloaded socket, no clue whatsoever. Didn't stop it going up in flames and nearly taking us all with it.

As Ange said, its about risk level with the items that you do not need to leave on. If out all day though, leaving a TV or radio on with no-one in the house would be too big a risk for me (now).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The risk of electrical fire I presume. Stuff like fridges/freezers can't be turned off but I do turn off everything I can when we're out, switching things off at the mains. I do leave a stereo on which is a risk but apart from the fridge/freezer and the phone, that's it really if I'm out for more than an hour or so.

I never ever leave the washing machine running if we're out.

No, I wouldn't leave the washing machine or tumble dryer (an electrician told me the latter was a bad fire risk), but I've also seen insurance companies suggest leaving radios on, and I don't think they'd be doing that if there was a significant fire risk. A stereo is presumably about the same risk as a radio?

Mind you, when you've spent much of your life inhabiting ancient houses with open coal fires (which you obviously can't put out every time you leave the house), it tends to take the edge off your anxieties about the odd electrical appliance. :laugh:

You know even now I think about walking out with things still switched on at the mains and even about putting 'just one' load of washing on at night so it's ready for the morning when I've been really short on clean stuff. Then I get reminded almost instantaneously and the "I'm not risking my dogs dying" throws itself around in my head with true force. I've been there and know the very very real consequences. I was told not to leave things on before the fire and I didn't take the warning seriously. It's too late for us now to heed that warning but not for others.

Sorry to hikack Claz :GroupHug:

Ange answered for me :flowers:

As Ange said, its about risk level with the items that you do not need to leave on. If out all day though, leaving a TV or radio on with no-one in the house would be too big a risk for me (now).

Oh yes, I realised it was a fire risk you meant. :flowers:

I'm neurotic about safety anyway - I would never have an electric blanket now, for example - but I can't imagine many of us would stay out all day and leave large appliances on. At most, I've left Bonnie for a few hours, and I do risk leaving the radio on for that period (very new radio, completely out of any of the pets' reach, can't fall down on them etc.) because it's more calming for her than silence, I believe.

You know even now I think about walking out with things still switched on at the mains and even about putting 'just one' load of washing on at night so it's ready for the morning when I've been really short on clean stuff. Then I get reminded almost instantaneously and the "I'm not risking my dogs dying" throws itself around in my head with true force. I've been there and know the very very real consequences. I was told not to leave things on before the fire and I didn't take the warning seriously. It's too late for us now to heed that warning but not for others.

Sorry to hikack Claz :GroupHug:

One thing I would ask about though - does that mean it's not safe to use the slow cooker I've just bought? If I go out, I mean. I can't see myself ever leaving it on while Bonnie's alone in the house, but it rather defeats the purpose if I have to stand guard over it all day (or night). Or are they safe because they are so low-voltage?

One thing I would ask about though - does that mean it's not safe to use the slow cooker I've just bought? If I go out, I mean. I can't see myself ever leaving it on while Bonnie's alone in the house, but it rather defeats the purpose if I have to stand guard over it all day (or night). Or are they safe because they are so low-voltage?

They aren't low voltage :unsure:

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be 'dog-free' for a years. I'm lucky Henry is an easy dog and as long as he has been fed and taken for a walk, he will quite happily sit and watch TV while I go out :rolleyes:

It did cross my mind a few years ago when I was moving every 6 months in rented accommodation that it would be easier if I was dog free, but i cant imagine my life without him.

Due to no having any close family round to mind him, I rely heavily on kennels and have no hesitation in putting him there as I know he will be safe. I do find it a bit strange when people say they couldnt bear to put their dogs in kennels to go away - there is so much of the world to see :) I live for my holidays and as soon as Henry goes in the kennels for 7 days then thats 'me' time as the rest of my year is taken up with poo picking/vet bills/day care bills etc etc :)

Some of us may have dogs that can't cope in kennels. :wink: Neo has enough problems without coming home after my holidays suffering with SA too. :(

I don't think I'll ever be dog free. For that matter, I don't think i'll ever be multiple dog free. I don't like myself when I'm not around dogs and I'm certainly not happy not being around dogs. I have never understood the "tie" that people mention, I simply don't see dogs as a tie. I can't suddenly bimble off without making plans, and to kennel all the dogs and cats usually costs as much as a holiday, when I go. It doesn't stop me though, I simply just add that cost to the holiday and that's what my holiday costs. When people have to go home early from somewhere to get their kids fed/to bed etc etc etc, noone says that they are a tie and I see my pets as no different (though my pets are in no way a replacement child!), I just simply don't see them as a tie but a benefit and for that benefit, I make arrangements. I've lost relationships, friends and family from visiting or inviting me out, but quite frankly, I'd rather live my life my way than live it theirs...

There's always a way to make things work, it's harder than most people have to work at it who don't own pets, but hey, who said life was meant to be easy? :unsure:

I wonder if its about lifestyle too, as in relationships? My OH isnt a doggy person as such. He does love them but doesnt get involved in the day to day stuff really except the odd feed and getting up 10 times in the evening to let them in or out of the garden :rolleyes: He will walk one of them when we take them on holiday but he would rather not go on holiday where we have to take them. It certainly isnt a relaxing holiday having a dog/person aggressive dog with you. He is pushing to go abroad and wants to go for two weeks. We have only been abroad once in the 6 yrs that we have had them, despite half my family being abroad. :rolleyes: I cant bear to leave them for one week never mind two. :( Also, working F/T now and walking both dogs separately and dealing with home and kids I am always exhausted and rarely have time or energy for fun. I dont think that I want any more permanent residents once my two are gone, though they arent even 6 yet, but will consider fostering as can't imagine living without dogs for long.

I am the one with SA in this household! :wacko: Seriously, I just about get through a working day, but then all I want is to get home to my guys! I've spent a few days in Holland last summer, because my mum was ill, and I had good friends looking after Mal and Kiera. They had a great time, but I was missing them like mad :(

I'm glad that I have done lots of travelling before I settled down with Mal, then added Kiera and recently added Sparky, because I used to love it! I've now got no wish whatsoever to pootle off on my own somewhere, if it's not with the guys I'd much rather stay at home. I can see he point of someone who still has the travel bug lingering though, or who has only recently hit by it, or wants to do something different that cannot involve dogs. I'm just glad that I've got rid of all those niggles before I settled down :) I couldn't imagine life without dogs anymore now, and I feel the same as Sherlock Bones about them :)

I haven't taken any of my dogs on holiday with me. I would consider it, but I think because of their natures, I think it would also be my idea, and theirs, of a het up tense hell. I'd take one or two but all three... :( fills me with dread.

Perhaps it's not good to admit, but people often ask when I'm on holiday, if I miss my animals: but in the main, I don't. We all need our time away from each other and the lack of responsibility that I have on holiday refreshes me. I did miss them in Africa this year but that was a month away and I walked and walked through wonderful areas they'd have loved - though they wouldn't have loved the wildlife waiting to eat them :laugh: Towards the end of the trip, we saw more and more pet dogs, and I spent time with them. On a vineyard, we set up our tent in a shed because the rain was so bad and in the middle of the night, my friend came back from a drunken night at the bar, and brought a staffie with her. She spent the night with me in my sleeping bag and she lay on me with her head on my neck all night just like my Cassie does. It really brought home that I needed my dogs, and that night I missed them all so much but at the same time it made me appreciate the time I have with them, and apart from them. :wub: I can honestly see me settling down with anyone who doesn't like them either, it would niggle me too much :laugh:

Okay correction, I'd feel almost the same as Sherlock Bones! :wink:

I don't think there's anything wrong with spending time away from your dogs if they are happy and well looked after. It's just that I don't want to; I'm not happy when I'm away from 'the guys'.

And after a string of unsuccessful, shortlived relationships, and not even a fling in more recent years, I've come to the conclusion that I'm simply not 'relationship material'. Just as well, because I'd pity the person who would have to play second best to my dogs and put up with my niggles and habits as well! :rolleyes: :laugh:

I'm glad that I have done lots of travelling before I settled down with Mal, then added Kiera and recently added Sparky, because I used to love it! I've now got no wish whatsoever to pootle off on my own somewhere, if it's not with the guys I'd much rather stay at home. I can see he point of someone who still has the travel bug lingering though, or who has only recently hit by it, or wants to do something different that cannot involve dogs. I'm just glad that I've got rid of all those niggles before I settled down :) I couldn't imagine life without dogs anymore now, and I feel the same as Sherlock Bones about them :)

Me too. I waited 20 years before I could have my own dogs (as an adult) and still feel I missed out. Yes, I enjoyed the travelling but sometimes I just did it for travelling's sake because I couldn't think of anything else to do to excite me. I spent all day out walking with my two on saturday (after a short agility lesson) but in 'my old life' doing something on a saturday meant either working or going to the pub. Am sure my pets keep me sane - I don't feel alone with them even though am on my own and am sure I'd never have had such a positive experience of moving house 7 years ago if I didn't have them. I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am sure I'd seize up completely if I didn't have to walk them (+ am sure it helps re endorphins as well) so all in all the best prescription.

Oh my desire to have dogs far outweighs my travel bug, or I'd not have adopted M-M. I adore my dogs and I don't like being away from them. I think it's me that suffers with SA too Billy :laugh:

Rob and I should have gone travelling when we first met, but we didn't and so I imagine we will either do it a bit later in life or at some point find a good dog sitter who can stay here so we can visit a few places together :)