UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

*girly Thread Warning!*

ClazUK

I'm posting this with permission....

I have a colleague who suffers terribly from PMT. We've been trying to discuss this surrounded by male colleagues and she's been trying Vitamin B6 on my recommendation.

Today she told me she was also taking St Johns Wort, which surprised me. Anyway the conversation got a bit awkward due to a young male colleague sitting between us cringing, so she sent me this email:

I do suffer from mild depression, I have done since becoming a single mother and I've struggled immensely since getting over post natal depression in 2006. The PMT has become increasingly worse to the extent that I have quit jobs on the spot and broken relationships up and I had heard about St Johns Wort so figured I would give it ago. I'm reading a book that's all about it and it claims to be the miracle cure for alot of things, PMT included. It kicks in as fast as 2 weeks with some people and doesn't seem to have any side effects so I figured ANYTHING is worth a go, right? Vitb6 doesn't seem to have done much other than given me increased energy in the evening.

If you hear of anything else that may work give me a shout?? I dont particularly want to spend the rest of my days hooked on a over the counter anti depressant :-)

I thought maybe you guys could offer some Fugee advice? :flowers:

I have never suffered PMT until this past year - Im 47 now. Still have regular periods - no night sweats or any of the other meopause symptoms but I know that I need to get this in check. I start feeling "funny" mid cycle and by the time Im due on - I hate the world - which is a totaloy new experience for me.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be glad of some help too. :mecry:

Deppo jabs - I suffer badly with PMT had done for years, I don't need contraception because hubbys been fixed :laugh: but I was talking to the practice nurse at my annual mot and mentioned that I was really getting worn down with it (not to mention hubby was taking the brunt of my temper) and she suggested I go on deppo, this stopped my periods and certainly did help the pmt not to mention I didn't have periods any more. I will say tho that it helped the pmt but it didn't completely stop it, I still got a bit clumsy around the time I would have been ovulating, and my breasts got swollen and tender but I certainly wasn't suffering from the mood swings and crying jags that I used to have so for me it was the best thing since sliced bread - now I'm over 45 I can't have the jabs any more which means I am back to having to cope with the pmt and believe me I am NOT happy about it, the only alternative I have been offered is the mirena but since theres no guarantee that will help the pmt and might make it worse then I am not going that route.

Obviously if your colleague is thinking of having another baby both deppo and mirena take some time to clear from her system so she might need to consider that.

Agnus castus and Seratone 5-HTP.

Taking both of these once a day sorted me right out. I was a hormonal wreck and was an absolute nightmare to live with, one second raging the next in floods of tears. Frankly C deserves a medal. When I started taking these within a very short space of time I felt completely normal, within a couple of weeks.

I've stopped taking them now as I'm back on Cerazette and that is sorting my weirdo hormones out. I have noticed that I can be a bit of a moody mare occasionally though so I'm going to start taking the Seratone 5-HTP again, I shouldn't need the Agnus Castus cos of the pill.

I used to get them from here cheapest I found on the net for the dosage.

Just seen Snow's reply - I was on Depo and it may me bloody suicidal so do be careful. If she thinks it's hormonal may be better trying a pill as it is easy to stop taking, with the injection its there and you're stuck with it.

Edited by khanu

Deppo jabs - I suffer badly with PMT had done for years, I don't need contraception because hubbys been fixed :laugh: but I was talking to the practice nurse at my annual mot and mentioned that I was really getting worn down with it (not to mention hubby was taking the brunt of my temper) and she suggested I go on deppo, this stopped my periods and certainly did help the pmt not to mention I didn't have periods any more. I will say tho that it helped the pmt but it didn't completely stop it, I still got a bit clumsy around the time I would have been ovulating, and my breasts got swollen and tender but I certainly wasn't suffering from the mood swings and crying jags that I used to have so for me it was the best thing since sliced bread - now I'm over 45 I can't have the jabs any more which means I am back to having to cope with the pmt and believe me I am NOT happy about it, the only alternative I have been offered is the mirena but since theres no guarantee that will help the pmt and might make it worse then I am not going that route.

Obviously if your colleague is thinking of having another baby both deppo and mirena take some time to clear from her system so she might need to consider that.

Snow do your surgery do the implants? I have a friend in her forties that has the implant fitted and I gather the benefits are pretty much the same as the deppo injection, I too have debated the deppo for pmt etc as like yourself I don't need contraception as H is also "fixed" :laugh:

Snow do your surgery do the implants? I have a friend in her forties that has the implant fitted and I gather the benefits are pretty much the same as the deppo injection, I too have debated the deppo for pmt etc as like yourself I don't need contraception as H is also "fixed" :laugh:

I asked about the implants - the Dr is currently "considering" whether I can have them he's sent me down the "lets rule everything else out first route" :laugh: So I've been retested to see if I am premenopausal (I'm not) and I'm awaiting the results of the ultra sound I had before Xmas because of dysmenorrhea (which is new) - I'm regular as clockwork in fact as hubby will attest I know almost to the hour when I'll start but the older I get the worse they get :rolleyes: he jokes that HE suffers from premenstrual tension, menstrual tension and post menstrual tension :rolleyes: :laugh: the scanning person told me everything seemed perfectly fine when I had the scans so there's nothing physical causing it... just me ormones... :rolleyes: As my Dr explained once you hit 45 many of the options aren't available as they are contraindicated for people of "a certain age" :rolleyes:

I asked about the implants - the Dr is currently "considering" whether I can have them he's sent me down the "lets rule everything else out first route" :laugh: So I've been retested to see if I am premenopausal (I'm not) and I'm awaiting the results of the ultra sound I had before Xmas because of dysmenorrhea (which is new) - I'm regular as clockwork in fact as hubby will attest I know almost to the hour when I'll start but the older I get the worse they get :rolleyes: he jokes that HE suffers from premenstrual tension, menstrual tension and post menstrual tension :rolleyes: :laugh: the scanning person told me everything seemed perfectly fine when I had the scans so there's nothing physical causing it... just me ormones... :rolleyes: As my Dr explained once you hit 45 many of the options aren't available as they are contraindicated for people of "a certain age" :rolleyes:

Oh joy, give it a few years and I can see H having me committed :ohmy: :rolleyes:

What does Seratone 5-HTP do?? Or the Angus thingy. I don't need contraception as I have been fixed but need help with the PMT :unsure:

Agnus Castus linky helps sort out fluctuating hormones - you may find it useful

Seratone 5-HTP linky can help with mood energy and stress levels. For some reason it also seems to help me with my headaches/migraines as these have become worse over the last few months since I've stopped taking it, but since i think they are stressed linked it shouldn't be surprising really

Seratone 5-HTP linky can help with mood energy and stress levels. For some reason it also seems to help me with my headaches/migraines as these have become worse over the last few months since I've stopped taking it, but since i think they are stressed linked it shouldn't be surprising really

I've been taking 5-HTP. I buy mine from Higher Nature, good quality stuff and it's under £10 for a month's supply or you can buy a larger quantity at a better rate. I have horrendous PMT sometimes. I've not been having a great time lately and I'm not sure yet how much the 5-HTP has helped but I suspect I'd have felt worse without it. Higher Nature said it can take 4-6 weeks to kick in I think, usually.

I took St Johns Wort some years ago, not specifically for PMT, just for my general life at that time and I'm sure it helped.

I had a very bad experience with the contraceptive pill many years ago, so I can't/won't take anything remotely like that again.

Claz, I hope your colleague can find something to help :GroupHug: Have they looked at their diet?

OH used St John's Wort recently for depression and it definitely worked. He used the tincture which can be bought from Boots, it's supposed to be better than tablets as it contains everything from the plant & isn't just an extract.

Re the PND, did your friend have counselling for that? I'd recommend it if not, even now :flowers:

Nothing works for my PMT and I won't touch hormones or homeopathy (I tried it for bereavement & it was so hit and miss with me that it was counterproductive) so I've learned to deal with it but it isn't easy.

OH used St John's Wort recently for depression and it definitely worked. He used the tincture which can be bought from Boots, it's supposed to be better than tablets as it contains everything from the plant & isn't just an extract.

Holland and Barrett sell a tincture too, that's what I used.