UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Who Has Been To Egypt?

cheryl33

Yo! We're thinking of going to Egypt next year and was looking for some Fugees who have been....as I know some of you have!

When is the best time to go, eg: not too hot and not too cold? Nicest resorts? Tours/excursions? Places to avoid?

Prefer not to stay in a high rise family hotel so if anyone can recommend somewhere nice, it would be muchly appreciated!

Thanks xx

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

red sea has sea and sand and not a lot else unless you want to take a 4 hour drive to culture

Luxor has no sea, lovely pools and masses of culture.

Red sea tends to have mainly all inclusive deals so you can get good offers on late deals but there isnt a lot to do... luxor is best booked as a bed and breakfast and go out exploring. Luxor is the place i have visited 30 odd times now so i can offer masses of advice. Red sea is somewhere i went once and hated it but each to there own. if you want sea and sand there are other fugees who have been who can tell you more about it :flowers:

Ooooo, lucky you :) it would be amazing to see the pyramids at dawn or dusk.

I haven't been myself but my friend went about ten years ago and I'm afraid she said she'd never set foot in the place again, solely because of the cruelty she saw towards animals, in the main it was dogs, cats and donkey's that were the victims :( , she was in Luxor, I suppose it would depend on which areas you went to.

Ooooo, lucky you :) it would be amazing to see the pyramids at dawn or dusk.

I haven't been myself but my friend went about ten years ago and I'm afraid she said she'd never set foot in the place again, solely because of the cruelty she saw towards animals, in the main it was dogs, cats and donkey's that were the victims :( , she was in Luxor, I suppose it would depend on which areas you went to.

I think between them, Brooke and ACE have made major breakthroughs in animal care and now its not as upsetting seeing the animals as a result. Most of the donkeys now have padding under the harnesses, the horses are better fed and watered and the dogs all look a bit worn and knackered but are generally fed reasonably well. Some of the carriage drivers dont feed their horses too well but tend to get grief off other drivers, as well as tourists, and reps from brooke and ACE.

The pyramids do look lovely at dawn and dusk.... sadly they are in the shittyest city known to man and I would be happy if I never saw Cairo again.

When I went aaaages ago did the whole tourist package; a few days in Luxor seeing the sights followed by a Nile cruise to Aswan and back, flew to Cairo for a couple of days to see the Cairo museum and pyramids then back down to Luxor for a couple of days R&R. I was kernackerred from all that yomping round tombs and temples :laugh: as most of the trips started at silly o'clock in the morning and there was just too much to see to try and fit in a fortnight. It was a fantastic experience and I'd love to go back one day.

i did a nile cruise a few years ago-and whilst some of the sights were truly breathtaking-magical.

i would never set foot in the place again. i found that within 5 ft of the boat i was a atrget of almost physical violence (pushing, shoving, physically grabbed-i had several people physically try and force me onto horse drawn carriages-i even got trapped by a group of sellers when seperated from OH who would not let me through-)

maybe its just me but being surrounded by bored teenagers armed with machine guns (security) did not warm the cockles of my heart.

it got to the stage that female passengers alone would not go out......if you were with a bloke it was less-marginally aggressive.

Oh and the grafitti suggesting that the infidels go home or burn to death kinda didnt make me feel welcome

i also found that having to fight people off All the time-from the bloke that ran off with my case at the airport and refused to return it-till i paid him "a tip" etc to the guide who followed me round a tomb cursing me as i wouldnt pay him to show me round (there were no real guides-just locals who will point at something-and then ask yo for money!)became exhausting.

fee

I've done Sharm with Gary (the ex) which could have been anywhere - tourist resort, loads of hotels, nothing to do. The nearest life is Naama Bay but it's very very touristy and very agressive, saleswise. We did a couple of fantastic trips out - star gazing in the desert and a 4x4 safari.

I then did Luxor with Helly & Jules which was totally different, real culture, a real city and real people getting on with their lives. I'm sure it helped loads having someone Egypt-savvy with me, but I felt totally safe there and relatively unhassled by the salesmen etc..

You cannot beat Egyptian hospitality and customer care - the hotels are amazing, the food great and the customer service second to none.

i did a nile cruise a few years ago-and whilst some of the sights were truly breathtaking-magical.

i would never set foot in the place again. i found that within 5 ft of the boat i was a atrget of almost physical violence (pushing, shoving, physically grabbed-i had several people physically try and force me onto horse drawn carriages-i even got trapped by a group of sellers when seperated from OH who would not let me through-)

maybe its just me but being surrounded by bored teenagers armed with machine guns (security) did not warm the cockles of my heart.

it got to the stage that female passengers alone would not go out......if you were with a bloke it was less-marginally aggressive.

Oh and the grafitti suggesting that the infidels go home or burn to death kinda didnt make me feel welcome

i also found that having to fight people off All the time-from the bloke that ran off with my case at the airport and refused to return it-till i paid him "a tip" etc to the guide who followed me round a tomb cursing me as i wouldnt pay him to show me round (there were no real guides-just locals who will point at something-and then ask yo for money!)became exhausting.

fee

where on earth in egypt did that happen. Im honestly truly saddened when I see experiences like that and if nothing else the tourist police all over luxor are there to stop that kind of thing. Nowadays, you march over to one, complain loudly and more often than not the offenders are hauled off to get a severe rollocking and/or an afternoon in jail to contemplate the sport of annoying tourists. consequently the hassle in luxor is a lot more laid back and polite and most accept no means no.

maybe looking like a bouncer has its plus sides as ive never experienced anything like that :unsure:

Thanks for your input guys. Sorry to those who haven't had a good time or won't go back but we are very keen to go and I imagine we'll be booking it over the weekend (taking advantage of £10pp deposits!!)

We've found a lovely hotel in Sharm El Sheik but an even nicer one in Luxor but I'm leaving it to Adam to decide....! x