UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sparky Has A Wee Problem

BillyMalc

Sparks seems to need to wee whenever he gets woken up at night, and he doesn't tell me but wees on the cushion instead (thank doG for leak proof cushion covers!). Last night there was a bit of a disturbance, and surely enough I found a big wee again this morning. It has to be Sparks, because the other 2 are sleeping in bed with me at night. Of course the simple solution would be to let him out in the yard whenever there's something going on, but I don't always hear it, and I'm also pretty useless when I get woken up in the middle of a deep sleep.

Would crate training be a solution? My train of though being that A) he would feel safer in his den so wouldn't be so disturbed by noises (he is VERY noise sensitive) and B) he'd be less likely to wee on his bed.

Any avice most welcome! :flowers:

I've thought of health issues, but it really is noise related, and only at night. They do get a walk right before bed too.

You could give crate training a go. If he is ok with a crate it can't do any harm. You could practise with it in the day when you are at home too.

I would also work on training him to toilet on command. It might help him to learn some self control over? Also, do make sure that you clean the area he has already been on with biological washing powder, though not sure you can get that for vegans? You need something to totally deodorise. Would he be better if he slept in with you in a crate maybe?

Thanks for your replies :flowers: Between them the dogs have a huge cushion (a folded up quilt with a cover), a 'proper' basket, the sofa and a chair. They don't have their designated beds - because Mal is, as you might of seen, the King of Sofa :rolleyes: and it's never been necessary so far to appoint dogs their own beds, even more so as I'm away during the day. At night Mal and Kiera sleep in bed with me, and Sparky sleeps on his own in the living room. It wouldn't be practical to have him in the bedroom too, because he'll want to come on the bed as well, and it simply isn't big enough for 3 dogs and me, so we all will loe out on sleep! Plus what with Malcolm getting a bit older, I do watch out that he's not losing out on certain comforts - such as being able to stretch out in bed :)

Sparks does wee for England on his last walk, but seems to accumulate enough fluid again during the night to let go if he's worried (we've not had any such nights since I have to say! :)).

Sparks toilet training is a story in itself. He's probably been badly abused as a pup for toiletting in the wrong place, and it's taken him ages to do his business even within sight! Poor thing used to run off and hide! Only since he's been with me will he actually poo on his lead (weeing isn't a problem), but he really takes his time when I'm taking the 3 of them out together, so I'm not tooo confident about toilet training him further at this stage - even more so because we are learning so much at the moment as it is :flowers:

I'm wondering if it's anxiety related, ie he frets if something wakes him up in the night and he is alone?

Did he used to do this when you looked after him previously (think he's lived at yours before hasn't he?) or is it something which has only recently started? :flowers:

Timmy wees in the house still. I thought he was over it last year but it didn't last long before he went back to doing it. He doesn't need to go because if he's upstairs in bed with me he can hold it so I think it's anxiety related.

I have a crate you can borrow if you want to try crating him overnight :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

I'm positive it's anxiety related Alex :) And I'm now also sure that he's done it before, but as we also had Sophie in the house, who had a reputation for weeing in the house when she was upset, we always "blamed" her, it never dawned that it could be Sparks - even more so as he doesn't seem to wee up a wall or a chair or something :blush:

I should have a crate coming up in the near future, but if not I'll gladly take you up on your offer, thanks! :flowers:

I'm positive it's anxiety related Alex :) And I'm now also sure that he's done it before, but as we also had Sophie in the house, who had a reputation for weeing in the house when she was upset, we always "blamed" her, it never dawned that it could be Sparks - even more so as he doesn't seem to wee up a wall or a chair or something :blush:

I should have a crate coming up in the near future, but if not I'll gladly take you up on your offer, thanks! :flowers:

How big is Sparks Billy? I have a 30" crate you could have if he will fit in it. I used it for Neo (BC) in the car, though it wasnt really quite big enough.

If so, you could collect it on Sunday. Or I can bring it and you can try it for size? :flowers:

Edited for carp grammar. :rolleyes:

Edited by safneo

LOL, at this rate I will have more crates than I know what to do with! :) Thanks guys, really appreciate it :flowers:

FYI Sparks is a collie X so medium size. Alex lives local to me and she has offered us a crate as well, and I'm hoping that Jo still has a crate - although that's a rather large one and I'd need to wait for her to bring it up. I'll see when Jo can come up, else I'll take Alex up on her kind offer, as she's only up the road - which will make it easier to return the crate as well :)

I'm glad you all think that crate training might be a good idea! :wink:

Billly, what time does he take a drink in the evening before bed?

Can u restrict his intake just a little bit late before bed time.

that way he will hopefull have less to wee if he cant help it

Archie and Cliffy can wee in the house if i don't keep an eye on them

so I time stamp them gulping water, then take them out an hour afterwards.

good luck

We *might* just have solved the problem by, very simply, put a basket in the bedroom so he can sleep there with us, rather than on his own in the living room (the bedroom action in this house is truly astounding! :D ). I wasn't too sure about this before, because he likes to lie in the bed at every given opportunity, and I didn't want any middle of the night antics with Sparks trying to get into bed as well. He's dead good tho - if I tell him that we go to bed (or even without telling him!), he just goes into his basket and looks all nice n snug :wub: Not had any probs since :) :)

Well, last night Sparks slept on the bed with us and Kiera slept in the basket - by their own arrangement :)

The 'house rules' are, as long as I get to sleep on my side of the bed (daily topic of disagreement with Mal :rolleyes: ) and we're not having squabbles about who gets to sleep on the other half, they can sort it out between themselves as far as I'm concerned. Fingers crossed indeed, but so far we've kept it dry for the last few days! :)