UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Obessive Licking

uke

I've noticed the last couple of days that Yama Moo is spending between 5 and 20 minutes sitting down at random intervals licking her lips & swallowing almost obsessively. Her head is tilted back a little while she does this and she isn't licking at any other parts of her body or any other objects. I've had a good look in her mouth but can't find any signs of infection or injury. Her routine hasn't changed much (I'm in and out with work normally anyway so being left alone for part of a day or having us both home at random short notice is fairly normal for the hounds) and I can't think of anything that might have stressed her.

I'd have booked her into the vet today but the vet she she dislikes is on this week and I don't know how she'll take to having him look inside her mouth (she's a Great Dane and he's afraid of her too so I'd only use him if it's an emergency). Has anyone come across anything like this before?

She's eating and drinking well and in good form apart from this (she's currently sprawled out in front of the fire using Loki collie as a pillow).

Do you think he's producing excess saliva? If so it would be worth getting it checked out quite urgently - it could be something simple like a blocked salivary gland but excessive salivation can be a symptom of other illnesses.

I thought that Yama was a cat :blink: :wacko: but I wish you lots of luck anyway :flowers:

Forget the cat comment :blush: I was getting him mixed up with cycas' Yama Bungle :rolleyes:

I'd echo getting him to the vets though :flowers: It's nearly Monday so will the nicer vet be on next week? :unsure: It's worth getting it checked out even if it turns out to be nothing :flowers: