UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Roly

lazydaisy

I was wondering if anyone-else has experienced this problem or has any advice. My dog Roly (Chihuahua) sometimes unexpectedly starts to have difficulty breathing. He makes an almost gagging noise and tries to take deep intakes of breath. :( I was wondering if other toy dogs did this because it seems like he is choking and im worried in case it is anything more serious. :unsure: When he starts to do this, i usually stroke his throat gently and try and calm him down because he becomes a bit panicked.

Thanks.

Lazydaisy's Daughter :)

Hi,many Yorkies have problems which sound like this,it's due to the narrow tracheas they have.Zico used to get it occasionally and just like your Roly I found gentle stroking of his throat helped.Do you use a harness with him as a collar can put too much pressure on the neck.I would get him checked out just in case.

ETA just did a quick google check on chihuahua trachea and does look as if it's a similar problem with the breed.

Edited by zico's mum

It does sound like reverse sneezing, kenza does it a lot. I find if I cover her nostrils gently but firmly with the palm of my hand, and hold it there for a few seconds, to stop her breathing it breaks the spasm. In fact when it happens now she looks for me to do it :laugh:

Hope Roly is ok :flowers:

It does sound like reverse sneezing cos trachea problems normally involves coughing. The Viz have this when they get a bit excited sometimes. Just sit him down and keep him calm. I talk to mine and gently stroke them. It's not pleasant for them but is soon over. If they start to panic it gets worse.

Oscar the Wonder Dog had reverse sneeze for a while. If a dog is susceptible to it, it can happen occasionally any time and isn't a problem. If they start having it a lot (several times a day), it might be a sign that the flap of skin at the top of the oesophagus is inflamed, in which case a steroid injection from the vet can help.