UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Shaking Puppy Sydrome/cecs

snougles

Back in April I was given a Border Terrier (8 weeks old) with what looked like Parkinsons ! the poor little creature had the most horrendous shakes and was unable to walk properly. As I work from home I was happy to give the dog a chance. I have as done much internet research as I can - the most help coming from the States ! However there has been the odd exchange of email from a UK breeder who is trying to help find a DNA test to help stop the problem. There is even a dedicated forum for the condition too - and mostly the participants are American. My own vet had not heard of the condition and when I took the pup for a check - he suggested putting the dog to sleep. Here I am 9 months down the line with a feisty little Border who walks a bit strangely but can run with the rest of my dogs and have quite a decent life - all things considered.

Is there anyone else on this forum who has experience of this - as I would love to hear from anyone else. I have been told that normally puppies with this problem do not live long and although the videos I have made have indicated a severe case she seems to me to be doing fine. The more I find out the more confused I get.

Thanks - I had not seen that particular web article although I have seen quite similar - always willing to learn as much as I can about it.

Thanks too Celeste for your reply - it does sound as if Pickle has a similar problem - although not quite the same - but what a sweet little pup . Sometimes all the info you get just leaves you totally confused - I know I am. I started out believing she would grow out of it as she got older but am now told not to expect too much.

Hi there CECS is a much debated issue amongst BT owners.So many of the symptoms mimic other conditions it's quite difficult to diagnose.There are some good videos on that site so have a look at those.I know from another forum a member who has worked for several years with Erica Jabroer-ter Luun University of Utrecht (who sadly died recently) collating information - she is happy to help so if you are interested pm me and I'll give you the link to the forum.She's also running a survey here as well.Some of what you have described doesn't sound like CECS from my limited knowledge of the condition as the cramps are generally short lived and the dog returns to normal very soon afterwards :unsure:

Hi there CECS is a much debated issue amongst BT owners.So many of the symptoms mimic other conditions it's quite difficult to diagnose.There are some good videos on that site so have a look at those.I know from another forum a member who has worked for several years with Erica Jabroer-ter Luun University of Utrecht (who sadly died recently) collating information - she is happy to help so if you are interested pm me and I'll give you the link to the forum.She's also running a survey here as well.Some of what you have described doesn't sound like CECS from my limited knowledge of the condition as the cramps are generally short lived and the dog returns to normal very soon afterwards :unsure:

Isn't this site brilliant :biggrin:

Always amazes me that no matter how obscure something is there's usually someone who can get you a wee biy further :biggrin:

Isn't this site brilliant :biggrin:

Always amazes me that no matter how obscure something is there's usually someone who can get you a wee biy further :biggrin:

Thanks Zico's Mum - I am a member of the CECS forum already - I know it was a long shot but I was hoping to find someone reasonably close to me with a similar problem. Bumble definitely was born with a severe problem and has had 2 fits so far - both lasting a relatively short time. It does appear to me that analyzing the fit is the problem to see if it fits the pattern of CECS or ordinary epilepsy. She has wet herself both times but this has occurred after she has come out of the fit and she is still just a puppy. I have been in contact with a border terrier breeder in the New Forest - maybe this is same contact that you have ?

Jan,sounds like it's her? Interesting about the incontinence.I gather that isn't usual during a CECS episode as they retain control of voluntary muscles and remain able to respond to verbal commands as well but as you say she's still a pup.Has Jan seen the video you posted here? Must be so frustrating for you not to be able to identify what's wrong with her :GroupHug:

Jan,sounds like it's her? Interesting about the incontinence.I gather that isn't usual during a CECS episode as they retain control of voluntary muscles and remain able to respond to verbal commands as well but as you say she's still a pup.Has Jan seen the video you posted here? Must be so frustrating for you not to be able to identify what's wrong with her :GroupHug:

Woops tried to quote there but failed miserably !

Yes I have spoken and emailed Jan - she is very helpful and she has seen my video clips. She thought I had quite a bad and serious case with Bumble :mecry: but she seems so feisty and robust in all other respects - all I can do is my best for her !