UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Back To Being A Puppy?

lil_me

My oldest pooch Megan a GSD is getting very puppy like in her behaviour, which is annoying the heck out of me

Things like -

Knocking bins over to steal from them

Eating poop

Chewing things she shouldn't

Knocking stuff over in general

Is this 'normal' for an old dog? Any experience/advice appreciated...

Thanks

Any change in behaviour should really be checked by a vet.......... Thyroid problems can lead to appetite increase (and decrease) sight problems could lead to knocking things over, and plain old attention seeking can't be ruled out either.

I've had very good results with Aktivait for my old, so much so, I'm just off to order some more......

Hi thanks for your reply, she's been on supplements since we got her back about 19 months ago

This morning she's shredded the boys advent calendars and a book

I will contact the vet Monday, I'd spoken to her last week about Megan's antics and she never suggested anything like that.

Vet believes she has basically doggy dementia :mecry: said if we take her in again be prepared for her not to come home. She's also been soiling in the house, had to deal with many poo piles this morning and other things aswell. Not the thyroid as she's not over hungry with her 'normal' food. Said we can keep as we are for as long as we're happy to cope with all of the problems. I just don't know if I will be able to make the decision for her to go. I know she has the arthritis, cataracts starting too but most days she's still happy apart from when she gets upset because she's done wrong or because she's pooped everywhere (which I don't tell her off for as I don't think she can help it any more but she feels guilty).

Edited by lil_me

That sounds pretty much like my Bonnie. Although she hasn't been destructive, she hides away in a corner/her bed for most of the day, coming out for a scritch mid evening, leaps and bounds at me when I come down in the morning, or home from work (all four feet off the ground we are talking about here - and she's 16!) She has trouble holding her back legs together on the tiled kitchen floor though, and some days she seems to drink a lot (but with three dogs, it's hard to tell). She eats well, isn't losing condition, her coat is shiny, and most importantly, she still 'grins' (all be it toothlessly!) I said to my OH a few months ago that I'd be surprised if she saw this Christmas, but she's still with us! (Touching wood)

You're right not to tell her off for pooping (I don't think it ever has any benefit, even if the dog isn't old). Don't let the fear of taking her in again and not bringing her home again stop you taking her back if you are concerned about her - I think that's a very irresponsible thing for the vet to say. When you do have to think about Euthanasia though - better a day too soon than a day too late.

Enjoy her while you can - I'm sure she' brought you far more happiness than sadness over the years.

Thanks, I know what the vet mean't by it that each time we take her back there may be nothing more they can do. My vet is very honest, I respect them very much for that, they are never out to just make a living as they run a stray service rather than a run of the mill surgery but have seen several of mine on many occasions, doing a lot for them, inc some very short notice ones when we've took another rescue on.

We've had her back over a year now, we expected her to last a couple of months as she could barely walk when she came back to us, but she's here what must be 18 months later. I just wish those who dumped her could have seen it. I think she's enjoyed her retirement with us, we got a caravan this year and she's been lady of her manor when we have been away, adoring the attention, she's always the favourite with everyone.

I know what you mean by a day too soon than a day too late, my father was left with a very very large bill for his last dog after he eventually gave up, they tried too much IMO as he was in surgery constantly with hernias, bowel ops etc etc and it just prolonged a very sad ending.

Won't let me edit so will have to add this bit, must be over 18 months now as some of her story is on here http://www.therefuge.org.uk/forums/index.p...c=28608&hl= from July 2007.

Decided unless anything extreme happens between now and New Year I am not going to even consider PTS too much, I don't mind the clean ups if I know she doesn't mean it. Luckily all hard floors apart from the rugs and I own a vax/steamer so it's not too bad.

First off, :GroupHug: for you and Megan.

I had a foster last year, Connie, and she spent her retirement months with me. She was away with the fairies, bless her. She only had one eye and the remaining one was cloudy with cataracts. She had a dental which removed 9 teeth and was skinny, wobbly and pretty much deaf. She would forget where she was and be walking towards the door and poo as she went along. Thankfully, laminate flooring!

Connie didn't really interact with me, or the other dogs, but she seemed happy enough in her own way. I had to make the decision to let her go when her hips were getting so bad that she couldn't support herself to go to the loo and the day she'd lost the sparkle in her eye was the day I knew she'd reached the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your message :GroupHug:

Megan is booked to see the vet this afternoon, this morning she'd collapsed, poop everywhere again. She seemed to pick up a bit so took her for a short walk, she kept falling all the time. I can't make the decision, I just can't, so have asked my vet, who is ever so lovely but very honest to give me her opinion this afternoon. I didn't want to do anything before Xmas really, didn't want to loose her and increase upset (I have a person funeral on Xmas eve aswell now) but she's not coping, she just looks sad all the time at the minute and crying when she falls. Will see what the vet says this afternoon but :mecry: just thinking about maybe not bringing her home.

Thank you, Megan was PTS at 4pm today :mecry: was awful, cried every one of the 11 miles home, vet said she felt given all of her medical issues especially that she only had one good leg left it was the best thing, that to prolong her suffering for her only to get worse, she was going downhill quickly but had some good days, would have been selfish when the option is there to allow her to go peacefully and stop suffering any more. Fran I think you might have been right. Other dog seems lost.

Thank you for your thoughts :GroupHug: