UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Presentation For Interview For Fundraising Job Next Week...

Tempest

I've got an interview next Thursday for the role of Events Fundraiser at my local hospice.

If I get it, it really would be my dream job and fit in perfectly around the hounds.

BUT I've got to give a 5 min presentation about an event I'd organise for the hospice. I've got to explain why I chose it, how I'd organise it, the budget, how much I'd expect to raise and all the organisational details really :unsure:

I'm thinking of either option for a Halloween themed Murder Mystery Night or a Race Night and I've been looking online for ideas but if anyone has ever organised anything like this before I'd be really grateful for some advice.

I think its the costing that's proving to be most tricky as I would hope that as its for charity you'd be able to blag lots of freebies and do it on quite a good budget. I've looked at some companies online that organise Murder Mystery Nights but they seem to cost a fortune :(

Any info anyone could provide would be fab :rolleyes:

I did a forensics course a while ago and we had to solve a murder.

It was done online but I imagine you could work out what would be needed cost wise and I could email you the story etc.

Cost of costumes would be nil as you could use everyday clothes.

Hi

I'm a Fundraising Manager & funnily enough I am interviewing this week for a new recruit & asking them to do a similar presentation.

From my point of view it it less about which event you choose but more about how you go about organising it, marketing it, pricing.....

For a Murder Mystery night I would be approaching a local amateur dramatic society to see if they would help in return for publicity for their group.

Most, but not all, race night are bought in as a package with or without a host. The cheaper ones are where you just buy in the films/tickets/instuctions. In that case you need a good lively and entertaining host - someone like a local auctioneer might be a good prospect.

Good luck

Liz

Of course, if the job turns out to be the same one that Tempest is holding interviews for, just think how impressed she would be if you did a presentation based on a murder mystery night involving the local amateur dramatic society. Great proof that you are good at taking on and using ideas :) .

It sounds as though the presentation will be looking more for a mini-business plan type of presentation to show how good you would be at turning a profit rather than the event itself.

Good luck with the interview and good luck with the interviewing both of you.

My thoughts for what it is worth is that if the cost of the event is high e.g. the murder mystery the return from that event should also be high. Ask one of the companies that do the MMN what kind of return a client can hope to make on tickets, other fund raising opportunities that can be built in to the night such as an auction for the murder weapon at the end of the night or similar.

A friend of mine organised a fashion show for her local MS centre which was a good night. That's an example of a small event that was relatively quick to organise, but accordingly smaller amount raised, plus publicity.

Pm me if you want to know any more.

How about approaching a local restaurant to do a fixed price menu, sell tickets to cover the price of the meal plus a bit extra & on the night have an auction with things donated by local businesses/shops? play a few games too like Irish bingo.Beer & Skittle nights seem popular too.

I have been to a murder mystery weekend, it was good - there are companies on the net that do it all for you for a fixed price good luck :flowers:

Sorry guys - I've been away for the weekend so only just catching up with this thread now.

I've decided to opt for the Murder Mystery night and look into the idea of having a local amateur dramatics society or GCSE/A level drama students help out to keep costs low :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the ideas :wink: