UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Medical Peeps Please

Mags

My Mam was taken into hospital on Sunday morning in terrible pain. She has had gallstones for a good few years but they never bothered her. After scans, the doctors said that a gallstone had moved to her gall bladder and this caused the pain. She also had a kidney infection.

She had another scan on Monday and there was no sign of the gallstone in the bladder. Doctors think she might have passed it. Would you know that you've passed a stone?? She is not aware that she did.

They are also not sure that it might just have moved again and causing a blockage.

All the doctors that she is seeing are foreign and she's having a bit of a problem understanding them (this comment is meant in no way to cause offence). She has now been told that she has to have an MRI. When I was there this morning, I didn't get to see any doctors or nurses so couldn't ask any questions. My sister will be going in this evening so maybe she might get some answers.

In the meantime, can anyone here tell me what an MRI is for and what will it show up?

I am trying to piece all this together in my head so if anyone can enlighten me, I would be grateful.

Many thanks

an MRI scan gives the medics a 3D image of the body so they can see exactly what the problem is. Your mum will be asked to lie quite still on a bed which passes through the scanner (like a slow moving tunnel), it doesnt take long, is pain free and you hear a buzzing noise, results can take up to a week to come back to you and its a scan thats worth having done :flowers:

An MRI is a bit like a CT scan if that helps cept it's done by magnets,big hoooooge magnets.

It's non-invasive and doesn't hurt and requires no anaesthetic.It's much more accurate than x-rays and can pinpoint exactly where the stone(s) are at the moment.It is usually used to look for stones that are in the biliary tract.

They can tell with this if the stone can be removed.....there are several options like via endoscopy (tube/camera down the gut) or keyhole surgery.

BUPA factsheet

HTH and hope your Mum feels better soon :flowers:

Thank you both and thank you for that link Kats inc (sorry I will remember peoples real names sometime)

Mam is having her MRI tomorrow at 12. As it is in a different hospital, I will go with her. I'm just hoping she won't be too nervous. My brother had one some years ago. He is slightly claustrophic and had a panic attack. I'm sure Mam is remembering that story too

I have had a few MRI scans and had to have sedatives each time as I am claustraphobic. CT scans were easy you can see the light sort of.

I was also put into a lead lined room, completely dark and had to lay there for a long time (or so it seemed) I went to sleep without being sedated - go figure. :laugh:

I am sure you Mum will be fine Mags.

Results are back :)

She does still have stones in the gall bladder but quite a lot have moved to the biliary duct. So she will have to go to another hospital (why can't the one she's in do all these procedures :wacko: ) to have a tube put down to suck them out. Then back to original hospital and can go home the next day.

Hopefully will find out tomorrow when this is taking place.

Keep sending those good thoughts as they are keeping her pain free (well the meds are probably helping too :laugh: ) and she is very thankful to you all for thinking of her :flowers:

I've to do some research on what she shouldn't eat. So between what she can't eat cos of the gallstones and the diabetes, Mam reckons she'll be on plain bread and water soon :laugh:

all best wishes sent to your mum.

Had gallbadder out a couple of years ago and a few stones escaped and have to go and have them out now its no trouble andyou feel so much better afterwards it worth it.

Your mum will certainly notice she feels a lot better after op even if she thought she was fine before believe me.

Thank you all again :flowers:

Mam was let out of hospital this morning for a while. She has to go back tonight. She's very fed up being in hospital but is being very well looked after. All the staff couldn't be nicer.

We're still not sure when she will be having the procedure. Might be next Tuesday

Mam is off to another hospital in the morning for her procedure.

Please send her some more good thoughts.

I was fine on the phone to her this evening until she told me not to be worrying and then I bawled. Luckily I got off the phone first :mecry: