UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Worried About Boarding Kennels?

DanishPastry

Well, I was worried about Akita when we had to leave them for a week, in the kennels where I work. I worried about her particularly, as she can get very stressed around strangers when I or Martin are not there, and has sometimes (in the vets for instance) "threatened" to bite staff that had to handle her. My work place take aggressive and nervous dogs in all the time, (and they all coap!) so in my head I knew they would be fine, but in my heart, I still really didn't like leaving them, in case they would be stressed and unhappy.

Well, didn't they do my worries injustice :) they have been perfectly relaxed and happy, eaten all their meals and treats, trotted in and out from the paddock without a worry, and even Akita had loads of cuddles with members of staff!

Of course they were happy to see us, and were happy to be back home, but I would not for a minute worry about leaving them again.

all dogs are different, most of mine that come here have been stressed in kennels and not done well with dog sitters. Some dogs love kennels,all the other dogs and the activity all day but some dogs hate being shut in. I think you have to try things to see what is best for each dog. Glad yours were happy. x

little git didnt want to leave, i had to drag him out (literally) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bet that made you feel a right prat :laugh:

we had 2 shepherd brothers coming in today, me and Vlad took them for the owner, and they pulled us to the kennels so fast she never got a chance to say goodbye :laugh:

I think shepherds like kennels cos there is always something to bark at, and they don't half love the sound of their own voices :rolleyes:

Many years ago I went to collect my dog from his first stay in kennels. The kennel owner let him out into the large enclosed run, which was attached to the end of the kennel block, and said to let him get over his excitement before you take him out.

He jumped all over us then picked up a ball and dropped it for the kennel owner to throw.

When he had calmed down, she said 'Are you going then?' and he ran back into the kennel without even a backward glance.

little git didnt want to leave, i had to drag him out (literally) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

bet that made you feel a right prat :laugh:

Gave me a bloody good laugh at the time :laugh: Cliffy was great. He just liked to sit in his kennel and watch the world go by, bark at the big dogs, throw his toy about a bit and bark a bit more. He was very easy to work with and was so diddy and cute all the staff mothered him, bless him.

As a kennel owner, there is a great sense of satisfaction when a dog wants to say goodbye ( several times) and isnt dragging the owner down the drive to get out.

I was a complete panic merchant - though not as bad as I wanted to be thanks to a certain kennel owner telling me to 'bog off' ;) And mine were fine. Whisper was a little highly strung when she came out as she likes to run and run and run but I wouldn't worry about it as much next time (a little maybe) and would go back to the same place too as I know they are well cared for. Often the dogs don't care that much, where as the owners waste half their holiday fretting! Little s*ds. :rolleyes:

I did know a dog that used to stress a lot though and it is not a nice thing - but the majority will adapt, I think?!

Im sure i would never tell a customer to bog off :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: We now have an enclosed area, only small but a dog that needs to run can chase a ball up and down rather than just go on walks so I could probably tire her out better in future :laugh:

You know how I meant it - I am eternally grateful to you for your reassurance and updates - it was certainly not negative towards you! I just realise with hindsight that panicking does not help a person relax on holiday and that your vast experience should have told me that they were in safe hands - even if they had panicked or stressed out. It's hard when they're your babies though... I don't think anyone could ever tire her but I will, if I go abroad again, allow you to try and prove me wrong.