UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hens In Cumbria - Can Anyone Offer A Home

GAILEY

Can anyone help please by offering homes to brown laying hens who are otherwise going to be killed at the end of the weekend.

A local farm is clearing out (which I think is required by law after a year or so) and has already sent about 2500 for slaughter. However, some escaped during the capture operation and the farmer has agreed that if homes can be found he'll let them go that was rather than for (presumably) dog food. Apparently, they are over their "time" now and he can't keep them past the weekend.

They are brown layers - about a year and a half old.

If anyone can offer any homes I would be very happy - not sure if he would ask anything for them - if so it'll only be a matter of pence I'm sure, as I think they are actually charged these days for removal of birds for slaughter, so hopefully they'll be free -

I am near Appleby. Gailey

Can't help :sad02: but I wondered if the Battery Hen Welfare Trust could: http://www.bhwt.org.uk/index.php?

It could be worth trying places like Animal Aid and Viva too in case they have anyone in the area who could help, though I realise time is off the essence and I'm not sure they'll have anyone around over the w/end.

Hoping someone will be able to help :flowers:

• 2 weeks later...