UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Crossbreed Girl Needs Help - Could We? Should We?

Gog Magog

We've just picked up this lovely lass - looks like maybe lab x collie with a dash of something else :) Her teeth are clean and difficult to approximate age but would say 5-10? On the younger side I'd say though. The house I collected her from had TEN children which she coped with admirably and is one of the sweetest natured dogs I've dealt with

That's the good news, the bad is that she has a growth hanging from her belly. The vets have had a prod and won't say anything about it without doing lots of expensive investigations which we can't pay for. She doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort. She's also on the skinny side. We've been having a talk about is it fair to keep her alive as it could prove to be an expensive task for someone to take on with a possibility that she's got advanced cancer and has to be PTS anyway. She is such a sweetheart though that I thought I'd give it a go and see if anyone is feeling like a gamble!

Any ideas/possibilities let me know :)

ali x

ps will post pics when I get home as my work comp is playing up again!

My GSD x has a lump about the size of a lemon under one of his front legs, it grew from the size of a grape at an alarming rate & we feared the worst as he is almost 10 years old. The vet recommended a fine needle aspiration to ascertain what it was made of before committing to surgery due to his age. The result was back in 2 days & showed it to be a lipoma which is basically a benign growth comprised of fatty tissue & is extremely common. We have decided against surgery at this stage as it isn't bothering him & the vet advised removal would only be necessary if it grows & affects his mobility which may never happen. So my advice would be to go for a fine needle aspiration & assess it from there-the cost of this was £40 which was an awful lot cheaper than the £250 estimated surgery costs!!! Hopefully it will prove to be a harmless lump as with my lovely old boy but if not then at least you will know for sure and be able to do whats best for this poor little girl.

Good luck whatever you decide to do :flowers:

apologies for the delay in replying, I picked a wonderful time to be ill! and my internet at home was playing up so wasn't even able to do anything there.

here's some pics of the girlie - we had a chat with our vet about the fine needle aspiration but they have quoted us around £140 plus! I asked them why it was so much and they said they would have to put her under to do it? I can't slip that much through when its exploratory and not to prevent suffering unfortunately :(

edited to say: arrghh! can't put the photos on again! it really doesn't seem to like my photo bucket account!

Edited by Gog Magog

apologies for the delay in replying, I picked a wonderful time to be ill! and my internet at home was playing up so wasn't even able to do anything there.

here's some pics of the girlie - we had a chat with our vet about the fine needle aspiration but they have quoted us around £140 plus! I asked them why it was so much and they said they would have to put her under to do it? I can't slip that much through when its exploratory and not to prevent suffering unfortunately :(

edited to say: arrghh! can't put the photos on again! it really doesn't seem to like my photo bucket account!

That sounds very expensive for a fine needle aspiration :ohmy:

Not sure why they'd need to put her under unless she's a very 'difficult' dog - which she doesn't sound like :unsure:

Think I'd deffo ask around other vets in the area

Not sure why you post "crossbreed" in the title to be honest. I don't see the relevance of that? :unsure:

If you have the ability to fundraise then why not go for it, at least to find out what her condition is before any other decisions are made :GroupHug:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand the post to be honest but I'm a bit tired at the moment.

Were you hoping a rescue was going to offer this girl a space and then them decide either way and deal with this? Who are "we"? Where is she? I imagine rescues generally would go along with a vets advice. You do wonder why they can't do a biopsy but then we can't see the lump.

a simple fine needle aspiration shouldn't cost that much surely... Akita had one done on a fatty lump years ago, no painkillers or "putting under" was needed at all :unsure: I'd say microchipping was more painful!

edited to add, if a fine needle aspiration is what I think it is lol....

any news? :flowers:

Edited by DanishPastry