UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is This A Uk Spider? *warning* Contains Spider Photos!

ReikiAnge

OK, I have warned you in the title, but for the spider-phobic amongst you, this is your last warning.

*Warning* this thread contains photos of spiders.

If you don't like spiders, go away now.

Have you gone yet? Good.

For anyone left, these are rubbish photos I know as I was not going to let the thing loose, but could someone *please* tell me this is a harmless British garden spider and not something that snuck in with a bunch of bananas/box from overseas etc.

It has a few "spots" of a lighter, more red colouring on its back as you can just about make out in the photos. It's not huge, we have had other house spiders much bigger in leg length, but they are nice friendly ones that don't worry me like this one.

Dogs037ii.jpg

Dogs051ii.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a look at a few websites too Ange, I thought I was getting somewhere but the rear of the abdomen looked a bit more 'pointy' in yours pics than the one I thought it may have been and I wasn't sure about markings (I was looking at nuctenea umbratica)

http://www.nicksspiders.com/nicksspiders/order.htm

This page has some quite good pics on it:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/thum..._thumbnails.htm

Perhaps you could narrow it down a bit by the markings on the spider's back?

Good luck! :unsure: :)

If it makes you feel better i have a large one of those in my garden shed, i just assume it to be a normal spider :unsure:

I'm not sure if it makes me feel better or you worse :laugh:

I wouldn't be letting it go anytime soon Ange, just in case :unsure:

That was my sentiment too!

I'm not bothered by spiders, thankfully given we have an old cottage, but these just seem "different".

Thanks for the links, Karen we looked at those before and couldn't see anything similar, though the fake widow looked a bit similar body wise etc.

:unsure:

About 30 of them.

Only joking.

There's that one and there's another one that looks sort of similar but I can't see the patches on the back.

Does anyone know if you can email photos to a spider expert? If the poor thing is a harmless spider I would like to let him/her go but I'm worried just in case.

I have more photos, which might be a bit clearer. You'll be thrilled to know :unsure:

I do indeed appreciate your efforts :flowers: So much that I might send you one of them - it could keep Trev's crickets under control perhaps :dry:

I don't usually mind spiders but looking at close-up photos is not pleasant so I am grateful to everyone forcing themselves to look at these.

*Warning* more photos coming ...

OK, more photos ...

The spider's "underneath"

Spider013ii.jpg

and hopefully a bit clearer a shot of the top side:

Spider020ii.jpg

It's not huge, the close-ups are making it look bigger than it is I think, but I am a bit :unsure: still

I have to say looking at those pics it sure as heck doesn't look like a normal house type spider - not that I've ever stuck my face close enough to one to be able to say with certainty *shudder* but that doesn't half look very dark more black than brown :wacko:

It doesn't look like a normal house spider to me either.

In the last photo I've posted you can see the pattern on the thing's back a little more clearly.

I think it's a dark brown with lighter patches.

H. E. L. P. What do I do?

I think so too Terri, am worried I've scared her off with my offer to send it to her :unsure:

I have PMd Rudi too as I noticed on the other spider thread that she said her brother kept spiders.

I read on that thread that someone found a black widow with their grapes from ASDA :unsure: We got grapes last week but they were from Tesco not ASDA - do you think we're safe :unsure: