UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Alfie Update

emma_pen

Alfie will be 6 months old this weekend. It’s a milestone for him and for me, because he came pretty close to not reaching this age and if I hadn’t been drawn to him that day things could have been so different for both of us.

He has now been with us for 2 months. And those two months have been filled with every emotion & feeling possible. I’ve been anxious, stressed, worried, exhausted, drained and upset. And of course I’ve been happy, pleased, content and optimistic too. And of course still overwhelmed and very grateful for the help I’ve recieved. It’s restored my faith in the human race in a world filled with so much cruelty and disregard for other species.

I really didn’t know what to expect that Friday night when he was on his way, I certainly didn’t know how on earth I would be able to get the money together, and I didn’t know how I would get through if we lost Alfie. The journey has been a strange and amazing one.

I took this pup on to foster, like many before him, and did have full intentions of rehoming him once he was well enough - I had enough with 3 permanent dogs! I think the moment I knew he was with me to stay was when I left him at the vet school in Liverpool for his surgery the next day.

Before that day, I had firmly in my mind what kind of home I would be looking for etc. I made the trip to Liverpool with Alfie in the back of Mick’s car (being sick, I remember well!) and sat in the waiting room until the vet was ready to see us. I was still fine at this point. It was when I had to leave the consulting room without him that it hit me. I promised Alfie I’d come back for him, though at that point I was still unsure whether I’d ever see him again. But of course you can’t keep a good dog down, and Alfie has fought his way through every hurdle life has thrown at him with the full enthusiasm that accompanies being a golden retriever puppy.

I saw a great quote today that really sums Alfie up:

“A puppy is but a dog, plus high spirits and minus common sense.†- Agnes Repplier

Alfie is the optimist of the family - he is NEVER down, even when he feels unwell. He is forever up for a game and a laugh and every single person he meets has to smile at him, even non-dog lovers. He is doing really well health-wise, very active and with a great (sometimes TOO great!) appetite. He is now down to very low dose Frusemide with no ill effects. I fully expect him to be with us for many years to come.

So, Happy Half-Birthday my beautiful, special, one-in-a-million, Little Man.

ALFIE’S VIDEO

^^ Please click the link above to watch Alfie’s video.

Alfie's Blog : http://alfiesheart.co.uk/