UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Moving From Two Dogs To Three Dogs....

purple_mog

Hey Fugee Folks

I'm seriously wondering if I might be able to offer a home to a 3rd doglet but being me am doing lots and lots of thinking before hand :rolleyes: I am working out the finances side of course (darn credit crunch :angry: ) but also wondered about your experiences.

I'm a little concerned that I may not have enough time to give the quality 1-2-1 that I know a new dog would need - but then I was worried about this with Finn too! When I adopted Farah I found she was incredibly hard work for the first 6 months or so and really Finn did lose out on training and some attention (though we still had our special times together). I just don't know if there's room to squeeze another little'un in! I do work full time (come home most lunchtimes) but all my other time is largely spent with the dogs...

Things like Travel Lodge only taking two dogs per room worried me a bit too - how do you get round that?

I'm actually envious, I remember worrying when I moved up to four and then five :mecry: :laugh: (and wish I blimmin hadn't) :rolleyes:

Seriously, try to be objective about it (difficult I know) and think what you would advise someone else. How often do you use Travelodges? Do you go away a lot? How easily do you walk two, could you manage all three? How much of an impact would it have on your life?

IMO a lot will depend on the dog you are taking on and whether it's an easy dog or not or are there specific problems you will have to work through.

Good luck whatever you decide :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

Definately depends on the dogs you have and the dog you are taking on.

I went from just Tiz and Cromwell (2 very very difficult dogs) and added Sidney (the perfect poopie!!) and found it absolutely no problem at all. I loved having 3 dogs and fine it a really nice number to deal with. That said Sidney is exceptionally easy (well except for his hyperactive nature and lamb hatred), if he'd been a handful to train or wasn't so good off lead I think it would be a different story! In the same way Cooper is a very easy dog to live with so I don't find 4 any more work than the original 2.

The only problem I have is because 3 of them can sometimes react to other dogs I have to get them on lead if I see someone coming and it's quiet hard getting 3 on quickly!! :laugh: I wish all 4 were like Sidney, completely dog/cat/people friendly...what an easy life I'd lead!!! :rolleyes: :laugh:

hmmmm well Finn is still something of a problem child as it were - generally much better than he was but still fearful of certain noises/kids. Farah is totally non-reactive but a bit scatty with fast moving traffic (bounces!) and of course she is deaf. I find walks pretty tiring for me simply because if we're on lead I'm asking them to stay close and work with me - Farah isn't always great at loose leash walking when stuff is exciting :rolleyes: , and off lead I'm watching them like hawks and interacting with them....that doesn't help at all!!!

Farah was very easy in comparison to Finn, the little girlie I'm thinking about is very like Farah but more worky/hyper and also deaf. Not likely to be going off lead for quite some time if ever either...

I don't go away much at all to be honest, and keep telling myself that the dogs would be fine in the car for one night - I'm such a softy!!!

Only worry is that Finn can be antsy in the car and jumpy, and this little girl does seem to bark a lot while travelling...but I'm sure I could sort out a crate or something on the back seat :unsure:

Now it's my turn to give advice :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you are starting to think about getting another, you'll probably get another :biggrin: . It's just what breed/size/age would be best to go with the ones you have already got (my 6 are all terriers). Not all your dogs will want the same type of attention, eg Yena, loves to sit by my feet, but Molly loves the floor, some like to play, others like to sleep. Like mereledog says what do you use the travelodge for, could you get around not stopping there, would somebody look after one of the dogs, or could you afford a tent/caravan if you travel a lot. Food wise, it's not much more expensive to feed 6 dogs as it is to feed 1, a 15kg bag of food last 2-3 weeks at home and I would say on average I spend £2-3 on wet food a week. Insurance, of course is so expensive and if I insured all my lot it would cost a bomb, so we put money away each month, just in case of vet fees. Hope it's helped and we'll wait for pics of the new addition :rolleyes:

IMO a lot will depend on the dog you are taking on and whether it's an easy dog or not or are there specific problems you will have to work through.

Agreed! If I had 'easy' dogs then I could have six. As it is, I have three. All have issues, one way or another.

Alfie is the hardest work due to his fear aggression. He needs off-lead exercise but I can't risk letting him off when other dogs are around so we needs eyes in the back of our head and quick reactions. It's ok when there's two of us but it can hard work for one. I'm lucky in that I can take them out for walks when most other people aren't around, which is more fun for us all.

I used to work full time and come home to the dogs every lunchtime. I always think three is a nice number if they're left because they've got other company and can interact with each other...or just sleep as mine mainly did. I always found - still do - that I have enough time for them individually because they usually let me know when they want something or I can see the signs.

I didn't find walking three any different really. I walk two on my right because it's my strongest arm, being right-handed, and one on my left.

It got more of a squeeze in the car (Alfie likes his personal space :rolleyes: ) so I ended up getting a bigger car.

It always irritates me when I see holiday home adverts that say 'Two small dogs'. My parents have two small dogs but they are far more trouble than my three big dogs and jump all over anyones furniture. If you can see past things like that and find the other plentiful supply of holiday cottages that are a bit more open-minded then going away should be fine.

I can totally see your dilemia as I sometimes think about going from 2 to 3 and I think it definately depends on the dog and what your routine is :rolleyes:

The problem I have is that on my own I can't really walk the pair of mine together as Ollie finds it a real struggle now to keep up with Jess and I hate to feel that he's been rushed or dragged along on the walk so I tend to take them seperately.

If someone else is with me (e.g. my mum who usually walks with us twice a week) I can take both as Olls plods along with her and I can go mad with Jess :laugh:

I've often thought that as Olls does a lot of pootling with me on my own that I could easily have another oldie to plod along with us :laugh: Having said that its things like insurance, food and vet costs that have to be considered. Also my two get along brilliantly together and I'd be worried about upsetting the balance.

I also do a lot with Jess in the way of training and agility and I worry that she wouldn't get as much time for this if I had 3 dogs :unsure: Although if I had another oldie I'd probably get to spend as much 'active' time with her :unsure: Gawd you've got me talking myself into it now :laugh:

I think if you think you will definately be able to cope with walking three - or alternatively doing more walks each day if you're taking them seperately then you'll be fine. I think if you think that could be difficult then its more problematic possibly?

For me it's, does the dog need us as a home? can we offer the environment that suits them?

I agre if you are thinking then you will.

I am not one of life's planners, when we were students we had 8 dogs and managed, its just where your priorities lie and how much you are willing to adjust away from a "normal" life lol

For the first time I am currently down to 2 dogs and really miss having a third as my oldest died last year aged 15. I have 2 very large elderly labs. and occasionally exercise them separately as one is more mobile - and cantankerous with other dogs! - than the other; I used to exercise the third with the older, placid dog and I also worked, and still do.

It will depend entirely on the third dog, the size, and how he/she fits in with your others. It's a bit harder work with 3 but really can work. Good luck!

Sally.

I too am down to two and really miss having a third but like others I have to be very careful that a new dog doesn't upset my two and fits my lifestyle. My Ebbi and Kizzy are very easy dogs and as i am disabled and my condition varies from day to day I need another easy one. I still take in one rescue at a time and find them homes but it doesn't stop me yearning for a permanant 3rd. I think the vital thing is finding the right dog to suit your circumstances. Make a list of what sort of dog would suit your home,what you can offer and what traits or behaviour you cannot take on and then see what dog is available that suits you. I know this sounds clinical but if you take on a dog that disrupts a harmonious home or upsets your existing dogs then neither you nor your new dog will be happy.Good luck.x :flowers:

thankyou all so much for your replies :flowers: As it happens third doglet is going on hold - work have just approved me doing a postgrad diploma thingy in university teaching alongside my actual job so I just don't think it would be right to take on a new dog at the same time :mecry: But I know little Wiccaweys Cracker will find a much better home anyway, and next year I'll definitely be on the look out!