UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Calling Avon Ladies!

ReikiAnge

Is anyone here an Avon "lady" - or gentleman?! :unsure:

I wondered if you would recommend it as a way to earn money, what hours you work (and when), how much storage space you need (might be a problem as we don't have any!) and if it's a decent wage?

No idea if there's any demand for it in my village but I've not been given an Avon catalogue in the years I've been here so I thought I would look into it, might be a nice way to earn a little money.

Apparently it's a load of myther and there are lots of hidden costs. My pal just looked into it and said it was not worth it. I know you do not get any commission if your order is not over a certain amount.

There are a couple of women that do it at work and I do order 2 or 3 times a year.

Good luck if you decided to go ahead with it though.

I stopped selling it last year Ange. For the hours you put in you get peanuts. I kept doing it because I got on with the customers well. Avon charge for everything apart from order forms. If you have any specific questions just send me a pm. It's not something to rely on as an income. Plus you have to pay tax on it as well cos you're supposed to be self employed to sell it. It's a lot of harrassment for little return. It also doesn't fit around your own life very well. I had problems trying to go on holiday.

It's not a wage.

Edited by Jacobean

Thanks for the thoughts :flowers:

I can't/don't want to do a party type thing, was more thinking of something I could walk around to locally but I don't think it's going to be a good plan financially. We already have a regular Betterware woman.

I did think of getting involved in Body Shop a few years back but I wouldn't touch them now as they sold out to L'Oreal, one of the worst companies for animal testing. Will never get my head around that one :( Shame as I used to love Body Shop's stuff.

Thanks for the thoughts :flowers:

I can't/don't want to do a party type thing, was more thinking of something I could walk around to locally but I don't think it's going to be a good plan financially. We already have a regular Betterware woman.

I did think of getting involved in Body Shop a few years back but I wouldn't touch them now as they sold out to L'Oreal, one of the worst companies for animal testing. Will never get my head around that one :( Shame as I used to love Body Shop's stuff.

Sorry about the Body shop mention, did'nt realise they had sold out to an animal testing company :(

We've had a girl at work doing Avon for years and she's made a very good profit out it , BUT only today she's said that her orders have dropped dramatically and she's had a lot of complaints that the products have gone very expensive!! They have to pay for the posh advertising they've been doing recently some how!! She's seriously thinking of stopping..shame but looks like another company getting greedy. :glare:

Sorry about the Body shop mention, did'nt realise they had sold out to an animal testing company :(

No need to apologise :flowers: It would have been a good suggestion otherwise and I think lots of people are still unaware.

I understand Body Shop still don't test on their own products, but my concern is the likelihood its profits end up in the hands of the main L'Oreal company and I think it gives L'Oreal a bit of an animal friendly "front" and chance to trade on the Body Shop's good name that they don't deserve, hence my no longer buying from them. Darn shame isn't it. I suspect there are still lots of people buying from BS that don't have a clue.

That's interesting Jacky and another reason perhaps to abandon this idea :laugh:

You are so right about BS, I had alot of their products given to me at Xmas by well meaning people who know of my ethics, I obviously didn't tell them right there and then but I've made sure my family know I no longer want anything to do with BS. I was absolutely gutted when she did that, I had always looked up to her as a strong minded business woman with ethics and felt very let down (also their vanilla the only perfume I could tolerate so I now have no nice smell!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) :laugh:

I have done Avon for almost 13 years :).

If you live in a village rather than having a few streets in a town as your "territory" it is much easier as you're not competing with other Avon reps

It's not really enough earnings wise to rely on as a salary, but it can be profitable, especially round Christmas time.

My orders have dropped off a bit recently for several reasons. One is that because I work full time but I'm heading towards retirement, I'm not looking for new customers, so when someone moves away or dies, I don't try to replace them on my customer list. Another reason for declining orders is that with the credit crunch people are cutting down a lot.

Once I retire, I intend to build it up to a nice little earner.

If you want any information, please feel free to PM me :biggrin: