UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Daily Mail Hits Out

Helly

Brilliant article. Now if we had the BBC run a programme on that we may well have a start to stopping cr@ppy breeders breeding dogs that are sick and hopefully, no more poor studs or bitches who have never known a normal life to rescue. Now wouldn't that just be great... wonder if it'll happen in our lifetimes?

Overall a great article. Good for them for covering it, it's a sick trade :mecry: I seem to remember reading that something like 90% of Bichons are now puppy farmed. Horrific.

Would have to disagree on the comment about battery hens not being deprived of proper diet, clean water, sanitation and space though.

Also this quote:

In Britain, the law says a bitch over eight cannot be used for breeding and no bitch can produce more than one litter a year, and no more than six litters in a lifetime.

I don't believe that's correct. I thought that just applied to KC registered litters, which is a bit misleading I think.

Just checked on the KC site and found: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/473

you will need to remember that the Kennel Club will not accept an application to register a litter when: a) The bitch has already whelped six litters, or

b) The bitch was under a year old at the date of mating, or

c) The bitch has already reached the age of eight years at the date of whelping.

And the KC may register litters from bitches over eight depending on circumstances.

I gather for example that a bitch could have one KC registered litter a year and a non-KC registered litter in the same year from the second season :(

Other than that, good for the Daily Mail. Let's hope it reaches some potential puppy buyers and they take note.

As for the Manchester puppy supermarket which claims they don't buy puppies from puppy farmers - where the f*!k else do they come from then?!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just read this, it's terrible that some people put those poor dogs through for money. More power to the Mail's elbow, I just hope those "stars" read it and weep. It is about time we had some decent laws in this country to put a stop to such cruelty.

Barbara

I am very close to the Irish puppy farm mentioned in the article. I have repeately contact the ISPCA with the plea to raid the place. My plea has fallen onto deaf ears. I will email them the article, I will also email it to Irish newspapers.