UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

All Those Who Live Alone

Kathyw

I've never felt frightened living alone and now after 10 years living with someone I spent 3 weeks in France on my own in the middle of nowhere but with the dogs and I loved it. I suppose its fortunate that although very old the house doesn't creak. When I was down there on my own just before Christmas I did have a scarey moment though. It was just before going to bed and I'd let the dogs out for their last pee, I was in the kitchen when I heard the most frightening roar I'd ever heard, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I rushed to the front door just in time for 3 hounds to come tearing inside at full speed, they weren't hanging around outside either! It was a wild boar who sounded quite cross. :ohmy:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived on my own on and off over the years, i was never scared at all when i had the dogs. It's been a month since i lost Coin and i do feel less safe now he isn't here but i don't think about it much. Although in 2 weeks 'm going to spend 3 months in Northern California sleeping alone in a tent, and i am a bit worried that i might be scared at night..

But not really from people, since it's very isolated, more from the fact there are bears in the area, so if i hear a noise at night i think i will just stick my head in my sleeping bag and pray! :unsure:

I live alone with just the dogs but it never bothers me. I am a very light sleeper so hear every noise and sleep with all the internal doors open so the dogs can have the run of the house and also have the windows open at night (weather permitting!).

Am sure I would not feel so comfortable if I didn't have the dogs though - my two have huge barks and only the completely insane would be likely to try and get in once they heard that racket.

Last night Lottie woke me up at 35 minutes past midnight growling. I checked the house and all I could hear was Dad snoring. We went out for a little walk and then went back to bed. She got back in bed with me and growled and growled and growled. I have not slept all night. She just would not settle.

I can only assume it was Lucy or Mum paying a visit. Mind you, I normally know when Lucy is about. Did'nt dare go in Mum's room though. I don't mind Lucy showing up but, I think Mum would freak me out to much.

Wow you lot are brave.

If I hear a noise the last thing I would do is go looking for what made the noise. they always do that in scary movies while I am shouting - stay where you are'.

I do watch a lots of true crime stuff and probably scare myself silly.

Once when I was reading 'Helter Skelter' I only read the book when people were around - it went under the cupboard when I was alone and would stay there till someone else was around.

I am a lot better now - I had to get used to it when Ray was away in hospital so much - I even have the spider thing almost sorted.

I just sleep with the tall fan blowing over the bed so they cannot come down and touch me. :rolleyes: :)

I've lived alone in my own flat for nearly 7 years now and I can count the times that I have been really worried on one hand. Of course it helps that I know that Kiera would bark at the slightest intrusion (as long as they are not mice, because she does keep her gob shut then!), but, living on the ground floor, the only thing I feel I can't do is having the window open at night when it's warm - which obviously doesn't happen that often in this part of the country anyway. We live on a fairly rough estate and I just don't want to tempt anyone to come in at night and see if there's anything to be had. For one thing, because the b@st@rds can sue you if you kick the hell out of them for being in your house! :mad:

I used to be more worried than I am now.I think it's an age thing.I probably was easily influenced and watched too many scary things on TV.Now I'm a wimp and don't watch them so I don't scare myself :laugh:

I back onto woods so it could be creepy but funnily enough I really don't feel unsafe here at all.I love being on my own actually.Jasmine is a good alarm system and comes in growling (even though she's a cat!) if anyone comes near the house day or night.

I live in a terraced cottage in a country area with my 2 elderly but very alert dogs and with 2 much younger and noisier dogs next door. Occasionally very late at night when I'm letting the geriatrics out for a last wee I've heard the faint sound of church bells across the fields and while I'm never frightened it has been a bit spooky! A bit reminiscent of the old Peter Cushing films for those old enough to remember them!

I think you lot are all very brave. I'm a complete wuss and hate being on my own at night. OH worked away between September and December for years and I was a wreck while he was away.

A couple of weeks ago OH went to bed early and I was pootling about on the laptop. Around 11.30 Como ran out into the garden doing his "Big Dog" bark and sounding really scared. It frightened the life out of me because it was too dark to see up the garden and it was really quiet out there. He was obviously spooked by something.

I never watch scary films or listen to scary stories on the radio or read anything creepy.

I think it goes back to when I lived at home and my older brother used to delight in scaring me with ghost stories, turning the light out as I went upstairs, shutting me in dark cupboards etc. He used to chase me with spiders too. He was not a nice person.

Although I live with OH when he's away I'm usually ok! We have a security light out the back and its usually the spiders that turn it on for me! At Uni my next door neighbour (in rooms rather then houses) in my first year had to sleep with the TV on, trying to go to sleep with murder mystery playing when you couldn't see what was going on was rather interesting and that women in prison programme, can't remember the name, but there were often stabbings etc in it. She still can't stay on her own!

Although I live with OH when he's away I'm usually ok! We have a security light out the back and its usually the spiders that turn it on for me! At Uni my next door neighbour (in rooms rather then houses) in my first year had to sleep with the TV on, trying to go to sleep with murder mystery playing when you couldn't see what was going on was rather interesting and that women in prison programme, can't remember the name, but there were often stabbings etc in it. She still can't stay on her own!

Prisoner cell block H :biggrin:

Last night Harri was growling in his sleep, then he woke up and all the hairs were up on his back, I went downstairs with him to check everything, I was scared, but thought I should encourage his awarness of noise skills, but kept thinking of scary things whilst he was checking everything :unsure: