UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Your Ultimate Waterproof Coat

BillyMalc

Looking at our "lovely summer" (NOT!) of torrential rain - I shall be imposing myself on "Mal's" sofa in a minute to watch a DVD - I'm thinking that I could well do with a proper waterproof coat. I've got a wax coat which isn't too bad, but quite open at the top, and last year I bought a 'Marmot' jacket to keep me warm and dry on Ben Nevis - well it didn't :rolleyes: It's definitely a windstopper and shower proof, but proper English rain proof it ain't!

So now I'm looking for something that will keep me warm and dry during those monsoon type rain storms, but will also be breathable enough so that you don't work up a sweat - no point in staying dry from the outside in when you get soaked from the inside out! So what's your recommendations for a coat that keeps you comfy during those long dog walks in hideous weather?

I've just bought a drizabone waxed coat and hood off eBay, which is pretty much impenetrable. I also have a Barbour waxed baseball cap cos even though the hood covers my head it won't keep the rain off my face, so with a combination of cap and hood it keeps my face dry :biggrin:

Shame I didn't wear it when I went out earlier cos I got soaked through to the skin :rolleyes:

I wish I had known Billy, I gave a coat to the PDSA charity shop.

My brother bought it for me from Poland. It was featherlight, bit like crocs are on the feet, kept cool no matter what you were doing and nothing, but nothing got through that coat.

I just got bored with it. :( I could have sent it up to you, it had many years wear left in and was in good condition.

If I ever converse with sil again I will ask her for another one.

Dont think you can beat goretex as it is an actual waterproof (and breathable) membrane rather than just a coating on material which requires reproofing.

Although I am a great fan of ebay, beware the great goretex offers there as many are fake.

If you have a TK MAXX near you, keep checking them out as they get goretex coats and shoes occasionally but they sell really quickly! (because the price is so good!)

I've got the Harry Hall Haxby Coat. It's not at all stylish, I look like a bag lady and it's certainly not going to win any favours with Triny and Susanna...but it's so waterproof I couldn't give a sh*t what I look like!!! :laugh:

Plus only cost me £20 off ebay so I'm happy!!!

297e_2.JPG