UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Does Anyone

Judith gsd

I am keen to try feeding raw meaty bone feeding for my 3 gsds, but apart from finding somewhere to a spare freezer and then it costing to run it, finding decent supplies, and worrying about giving them a variety, it seems quite daunting. I have given them a couple of goes at bones in the last 6 days and they loved them. Already any obvious marks on the side of Wolfie's teeth seem to have gone, despite feeding PlaqueOff daily.

I wondered if anyone could offer any guidance on here?

Thanking you in anticipation!

I like this book Raw Feeding

Tom Lonsdale is another good author - I'd avoid the Ian Billinghurst stuff unless you can borrow it.

I don't feed huge amounts of bone, my dogs get marrow bones every couple of weeks when I can get hold of them, which they do consume in a couple of days, whole chicken carcasses and minced chicken and turkey with the bone in. I personally don't feed lamb bones. The staple is tripe which has a good balance of calcium/phosphorus. They also get lamb, beef and oily fish. Then I whizz together fruit, cooked or raw vegetables, whole eggs, garlic, herbs, different oils (cod, flax, evening primrose, olive) aloe vera etc., about three times a week. They also get table scraps, pasta, rice, oats and I use Burns mixer when I get round to buying it.

It is daunting starting off but you just need to give them a varied diet rather than worry too much about ratios and proportions. I use Landywoods for the meat.

Do your research.

Read books such as The Barf Diet by Billinghurst, Works Wonders by Tom Lonsdale, Natural Nutrition for Cats and Dogs by Kymythy Schultze

If you google for BARF or raw diet you will find several sites with information.

Join one or more of the raw feeding lists on Yahoo

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/BritBarf/

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/BritishCanineBarfHealth/

There is information in the files and in the archives on both lists.

You do not need to be feeding a raw diet to join.

Re the freezers - for two dogs I run two extra freezers. I don't know about all the meat delivery companies but Landywoods have a minimum order of about £40 to £50 and when a pack of tripe costs 30p, that's quite a lot of packets. Chicken carcasses and things like marrow bones take up quite a bit of space. I also buy chunked heart which the dogs like to chew at while it's still frozen.

I feed mine raw but not just rmb, they have a combination of mince, rmb's etc. I run 3 freezers 1 for me and the other 2 for them. Even with the cost of the electricity (approx extra £5 a month...I'm on a card so can judge it easily) I'm still paying alot less over the month for their food . I can fit 4 boxes of mince (40 x 450gm packs) and at least 4 bags of chunks in the 2 freezers, costing around £80 which lasts 2 months approx. I then get rmb's and chicken legs from the butcher once a week. I'm lucky he doesn't charge me for the bones and keeps a good selection aside for me (usually far to many so I share with my friend) and I pay less for the chicken as he gives me the stuff that he can't sell (dodgy looking ones or too big). I give them fish once a week but just get a bag of white fish from Tesco's. :wink:

I feed my lot raw, again bought mostly from Landywoods, I have a large chest freezer that is used purely for them which costs about £60 to fill and lasts about 6 weeks (or at least it did, but now I have 1 more mouth to feed I am still working out the different timing!!!)

My lot get a combination of fish once or twice a week, minced meat/bones every day they aren't having fish, sometimes with added minced veg, and marrow bones once or twice a week as an extra, I avoid feeding pasta/rice type foods cos one of mine has got a severe allergy to sttarchy foods so isn't a good idea to have it around incase he gets hold of it.

I also add a supplement called SA37, more for my peace of mind than anything else as they all seemed fine on the diet before I started feeding it, I also add Grizzly Salmon Oil to their feed every day which really helps their coats to shine.

Go for it, my lot have been so much happier and healthier since they have been on it, judge the amount on the dog, I vary how much they have each day depending on how their weight looks and how much exercise they are doing, it is not a precise science but even my vet (fiercly anti-raw feeding, has to admit that they are all very healthy and in great condition!!

I have been to the butchers again, and have come away with a large bag of goodies, but how much of it is actually raw meaty bones I will have to find out. I think I will have to look into one of the large pet meat suppliers that you mention, as feeding all three big dogs will be expensive.

I give them pilchards on top of the Burns, and they get the liquid drained off onto their food, as I don't want to make the foster kittens food too mushy or too salty.

I am also concerned about the risk of raw beef I have posted this link:-

http://www.pugwelfare-rescue.org.uk/beware_parasite.html

So in order to feed raw beef, I need to freeze it first, to be on the safe side.

That must have been awful for the owners :(

There's risk with parasites with all fresh, raw meat I guess. But seeing what the dogs will eat given the opportunity when they're out on a walk :sick01: I'm guessing that they could pretty much pick up nasties anywhere.

That must have been awful for the owners :(

There's risk with parasites with all fresh, raw meat I guess. But seeing what the dogs will eat given the opportunity when they're out on a walk :sick01: I'm guessing that they could pretty much pick up nasties anywhere.

I do agree with you, they are forever drinking out of a puddle when their relatively clean water bowl is just a 5 minute walk away when we are on the way home.

I wish I had a camera with me, I have just discovered 3 meaty chicken carcasses in the bag of scraps from the butcher, and they have all been given one, spaced apart in the garden.

Well Wolfie tucked into his gingerly at first, curiously, really. I was glad because I don't want him eating it quickly. Bella started on hers in a similar but more ladylike way, and Ishkha just stood and sniffed, as if to say "what is this?". She had a little taste, went for a wander around the garden, and has now come back to it. I think she senses that she had better eat it or the others will!

I am also concerned about the risk of raw beef I have posted this link:-

http://www.pugwelfare-rescue.org.uk/beware_parasite.html

So in order to feed raw beef, I need to freeze it first, to be on the safe side.

I always freeze beef or beef bones from the butcher, just in case.

This weeks bones go in the freezer and frozen ones come out. One of my dogs actually prefers his bones frozen.

If you buy from Landywoods or somewhere similar the meat will be frozen when you get it :flowers:

I don't feed raw - I home cook and I get my meat from Landywoods. When I tried raw feeding years ago I used Anglian meats but I wasn't impressed as the meat always smelled 'off' when I defrosted it (particularly the chicken).

John Burns website has an article on his view of the BARF diet and also a guide to natural healthcare which I have found useful :flowers:

[i don't feed raw - I home cook and I get my meat from Landywoods. When I tried raw feeding years ago I used Anglian meats but I wasn't impressed as the meat always smelled 'off' when I defrosted it (particularly the chicken).

John Burns website has an article on his view of the BARF diet and also a guide to natural healthcare which I have found useful :flowers:

i'm confused - do you cook your Landywoods then?

John Burns puts forward a good argument (must admit I didnt read it all, just sped read) but he would wouldn't he cos he wants people to buy his complete food (which i did for years until i read Ian's book