UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Greyhound Racing

Terrier

Following on from the "dog racing" thread...

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are as to how to deal with the problems within racing, why they hold the views they do etc etc.

To take on a quote from the other thread...

We all agree "I think" that the Greyhound industry needs stopping in their tracks. Excuse the pun there. So lets turn this debate into a positive.

What can we all do, come on lets get our heads together on this one. :flowers:

Kazz xx

I suppose we might find agreement that the greyhound racing industry needs "stopping in its tracks", but I'm not sure whether we'd all interpret that statement the same way.

For some, that might be taken to mean "kill the industry". Others might take it to mean "stop the racing industry behaving as it does" (ie reform).

Personally, as I said earlier, I'm much closer to the latter of the 2 statements.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree that encouraging welfare reforms would be effective. What I always try to ask but never get much of an answer from anyone who promotes welfare reforms is this: if the industry could produce figures on the numbers of dogs culled/pts and reduced it to say, 1000 greyhounds a year, would that be reformed enough for you?

No, it would not be reformed ENOUGH, but it would be a welcome improvement to the situation we are in now.

I'm suggesting that to improve any situation (racing, meat production, whatever) you should start by raising the baseline. Hit the worst offenders FIRST and hit them HARDEST.

We're working from a pretty low baseline at the moment (one in which figures from the numbers born, culled etc) are not publicly available, and are undoubtedly more than 1000 per year.

Part of my opposition to killing the sport stems from the fact I have no objections to a dog chasing a mechanical lure. It stems from the fact that it hits those within the industry that care for their dogs and make sure they end up in good homes (possibly even their own!!) as hard - if not harder - than the "Alan Shaws" of this world.

Because the reality is that as long as there is an industry, dogs will die either on track or when they are no good for racing. Thats something that no welfare reforms can change.

Why?

Welfare reforms within the industry is to a certain extent accepting the things that can never be changed as being okay. Thats how I came to the conclusion that you perhaps aren't seeing the wider picture.

Perhaps I'm not seeing the wider picture. What can never be changed?

Of those things that can never be changed, would they be improved if racing were gone?

Edited by Terrier

Me too. I feel that if the general public can be convinced about the horrific cruelty involved and stop going to the tracks, then there would be no tracks.

Lets face it, the tracks are a lot less popular these days. I read on the news somewhere that 1 school sent home flyers for a track and a lot of the parents were well peed off. Good on the parents I say!!

It says something when they have to send flyers home with kiddies. I have ranted so many times at our local free ads paper here. They have a half page ad for a stadium in Birmingham. (Not putting name of it to give them any more advertising) I have tried the gently gently approach by going in and taking literature. Basically as they are paying the paper to advertise that's it. :( :rolleyes:

Kazz xx

The only way to stop all the greyhound deaths is to stop racing. It's simple. About 1 in 4 bred make it to the track (that's from the industry published pups bred and the dogs racing each year stats, not ranting lefty tree hugging stats, before anyone disputes this ratio).

So you reduce the number bred (I include Ireland in this) from 40,000/35,000pa to the 10,000 they 'need' to serve the tracks? Only 25% of them will be any good - therefore the industry has a shortfall and 7500 dogs end up dead/needing homes.

You CANNOT overcome this 75% wastage however many reforms you make, because only 25% of dogs bred are deemed race worthy.

Simple from me.

I want greyhound racing extinct, dead as a dodo.

Me too, for exactly the following reason (though I could never have worded it so well):

The only way to stop all the greyhound deaths is to stop racing. It's simple. About 1 in 4 bred make it to the track (that's from the industry published pups bred and the dogs racing each year stats, not ranting lefty tree hugging stats, before anyone disputes this ratio).

So you reduce the number bred (I include Ireland in this) from 40,000/35,000pa to the 10,000 they 'need' to serve the tracks? Only 25% of them will be any good - therefore the industry has a shortfall and 7500 dogs end up dead/needing homes.

You CANNOT overcome this 75% wastage however many reforms you make, because only 25% of dogs bred are deemed race worthy.

Totally agree, Con is one of 5,764 pups from Droopy Kewell born 1999, retired early after a short, but successful career.

He's aged 9 now, but will continue to breed for a few more years and then his sperm will continue years afterwards.

Interestingly enough "From the 5764 offspring 675 (12%) did run in major/feature races" probably an accurate reflection of how many pups are bred to get a successful one.

Lloyd is also interesting as he's a ringer, has the same tattoos as another dog, but certainly isn't him. :unsure:

Simple from me.

I dont think that is the answer.

Unfortunately, I don't think Greyhound racing will ever be banned. I will try to explain my train of thought lol.

If Grey racing was banned - horse racing (should) be banned on the same grounds. And, I think, while the Royal family has such a large interest in horse racing, and it is still considered the 'sport of Gentleman' that will never happen.

Also, I think to just terming Greyhounds in a ban would mean all we would do is 'pass the buck' to another breed. For example - grey racing has quite a large stigma attached to it, where whippet racing doesn't seem as bad. I think there has been quite an influx of whippets lately, and this may have something to do with it?

Simple from me.

Me too.

Well said Claz.

I agree with Raiye but for different reasons.

While the racing people think we want it dead as a dodo we will always have the oposition that we have to prevent it. We need to work out what we don't like about it, put it in order of how bad it is, and work on a little at a time.

You get a lot more done a lot quicker if you nibble at the edges instead of going straight to the middle to stop something. Already people are asking questions about what is involved in both the racing and the breeding, this needs keeping up so it is the general public that demands change and not the handful of people doing it at the moment.

More publising of how many Greyhounds never make it to the track, many people think that the majority that are bred do race, this needs changing.

Greyhounds life in the kennels during their racing career, many people think that they have the warmest, comfiest, roomiest kennels and are fed on the bed food a dog can be. This needs changing.

The treatment the Greyhounds get when they are injured, proper vet treatment and not treated by the trainer or owner. If these were ordinary pet owners they would be prosecuted for not giving their pet dogs the medical treatment they needed.

What happens to Greyhounds after their racing career has ended, this message is now getting across but it has taken a lot of hard work by a few, and needs to be carried on.

Changes to the bends on the tracks, to do this evidence is needed to prove that these bends do a lot of damage to the Greyhounds but I am sure it can be got.

There are other ways we can niggle at it as well.

Niggle away at it from every direction and it will stop quicker than if you try to get it stopped the way hunting was stopped. That went of for a long time, I can remember in the 50s when people were calling for this. I was a child then 'onest. :rolleyes: