UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Meeting With Local Press, Help Needed Please

estweyn

Hello all

I hope you can help me pretty urgently. Along with a group of others we have a meeting with the local rag to try and get a regular article in the paper perhaps with some sort of sponsership, unless they feel generous and do it for free. The object will be to try and bring to the attention of the general public just how bad the situation is for dogs, how many end up in the council pounds, how many manage to get to rescue, and the main reasons for these dogs going through this... ie backstreet breeding especially of the bull breeds because they see them as status symbols etc and then dump them or let them stray to be picked up by the dog catcher. :angry:

If anyone can help with some facts and figures or any ideas of the best way to tackle these issues I would be very grateful. You can email me also at [email protected].

Many thanks in advance :)

Mention the health checks that breeding dogs should go through before breeding and that many BYB won't have had any checks done,highlighting some instances of severe heritable conditions such as heart problems or liver shunts, also that the temperament of the dam and sire have a baring on the temperament of the pups and that some BYB won't care what the temperaments like. If people want a pure bred, there are plenty of breed specific rescues that will hopefully have had any health concerns spotted and dealt with.

I'm just going with the notion that if people think they will be hit in the pocket with an unhealthy puppy, they may think twice about that randomly bred litter

The Dogs Trust site has stats on the number of strays, dogs pts etc: http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/press_office/s...007/statistics/ (those are the latest results, for last year).

I took a print out of that to see my MP a few years ago - I also ripped out a load of pages from the Yellow Pages to show him all the "dodgy" kennels where they were selling lots of different breeds, offering delivery etc.

I think Celeste's right to also mention the dodgy breeders - and as not everyone will go to rescue, to include something on how to find a good puppy from a good breeder. If I were looking to buy a puppy, from what I have read, I would go to the breed club(s) for help rather than the KC.

Good luck :flowers: There are certainly thousands of dogs in rescue needing help and more waiting :mecry:

Yes , thanks ReikiAng, I have the Dogs trust figures and they have been really helpful in replying to e mail I sent them this morning.

Problem is that most of the dodgy breeders dont advertise do they.

Thats a good point if I can get actual reports from someone who has got a dog from one of the BSB or a puppy farm and then had medical problems.

Problem is that most of the dodgy breeders dont advertise do they.

Mmm. I would say they do - they must advertise somewhere surely, they can't be relying on recommendation?

If I look through my local free-ads - which I try not to do because it's so darn depressing and high-blood-pressure-causing - there are TONS of ads on there that are definitely not from good breeders. Just litter after litter because someone decided to breed their pet dog to someone else's :angry: And one ad I saw recently appealing desperately for a male staffie to mate with their in-season staffie bitch. Didn't mind what colour, didn't need papers, just as long as the dog was a full staffie. Nice.

Good luck :flowers:

Mmm. I would say they do - they must advertise somewhere surely, they can't be relying on recommendation?

If I look through my local free-ads - which I try not to do because it's so darn depressing and high-blood-pressure-causing - there are TONS of ads on there that are definitely not from good breeders. Just litter after litter because someone decided to breed their pet dog to someone else's :angry: And one ad I saw recently appealing desperately for a male staffie to mate with their in-season staffie bitch. Didn't mind what colour, didn't need papers, just as long as the dog was a full staffie. Nice.

Good luck :flowers:

I agree, the majority of pups in free ads would, I suspect be from BYB, not all, I have seen ones that appeared on the face of it to have had health checks done. A breeder who has a good name and healthy pups will 99% of the time not need to advertise, they will have a waiting list or have advertised their litter through their breed club.

My friend got her first OES Gardner (odd name I know) from a puppy farmer, she didn't know untill I told her. Gardie was plagued with health problems all his life, he had Creeping Dandruff, horrendous Hip Dysplasia and although he was, in the main, an affable chap, he could also be highly unpredictable and bit his owners quite badly on several occassions. You'll be pleased to know that a few years down the line with the help of her vet and the SSPCA the guy was caught and done for selling puppies in a public place which is illeagal in Scotland :biggrin:

Maybe mention places like this *** selling puppies bred by BYBs?

Edited - Raiye could you please PM the link to the OP as we don't to give them free advertising on a rescue forum :flowers:

Edited by ReikiAnge
to remove link

Ah sorry Reiki Ang, got hold of the wrong end of the stick(not like me :closedeyes: ) I thought you meant the yellow pages not the free ad papers, yes thats where they turn up, just wondering if a local data base would highlight those turning up time and time again with pups--- I can be a beligerant little so and so at times.

Thanks all for comments and support here. :flowers: