UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Easy And Cheap Recipe Thread

elricc

A thread to add wholesome recipes

Courgette and tomato pie

saute onion in olive oil with a bit of garlic, add lots of cougettes and saute with lid on to retain moisture and allow to sweat, about 10 mins on lowish heat add herbs ( i think thyme is the best as its a nice strong taste, about half a teaspoon dried)

Then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and half a tub of passata, any glug of red wine left over, if you have it, a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, sprinkle of pepper.

cook for about 10 mins, then pour into an oven proof dish.

Cover with either mashed potatoes or sliced raw potatoes, grate cheese if wanted over the top, put in a low oven for about an hour, allow to cook slowly so the potatoes absorb the flavour.

Tis very yummy

Edited by elricc

mmmmmmmmmmmm made my mouth water Laura.

We went to a frinds for sunday lunch one day and her friend made me 'Parsnip and Potato pie' it was oohhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm

My friend lost contact with her friend and I cannot find the recipe anywhere - anyone? please?

Lentil Patties:

Saute a finely chopped onion, add salt & pepper - boil a cup of red lentils until the water is absorbed, add onions, pinch garlic powder & tsp dried tumeric, coriander & cumin, allow to cool (if you don't like spices use herbs instead of the spices). When cool add a tablespoon of flour & mix well, shape in to patties - cook on a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan until golden brown - great with salad & a yoghurt & mint dressing.

Our favourite at the moment is this, bacon & mushroom pasta.

Cook some pasta, save a bit of the water when you drain it off. Leave the pasta to one side while you fry some chopped mushrooms and chopped up bits of bacon in the same pan the pasta was cooked in (saving on washing up!). When that's cooked put the pasta and a few tablesppons of the water back in the pan with some half fat creme fraiche, pesto and some fresh basil leaves. Mix it all together and then scoff :biggrin: Use more or less creme fraiche, depending on how creamy you want the sauce.

Quick and east dessert.

Tin of Apricots whizz in a blender to a puree, put into ramekis, cover with cream or creme fraiche, cover this with brown sugar and pop under the grill till suger melts. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

You can do this with any tinned fruit but apricots are nicest.

Edited by Kathyw

• 2 years later...

An old thread I know, but have been naggedasked by Billy for some recipes, and this seemed as good a place as any :)

Journey Cakes (or Johnny, Jonny, or Shawnee cakes)

These go really well with tomato and bean based stews, or just with maple syrup poured over the top for breakfast.

1/2 cup SR flour

1 cup cornmeal (can be fine or coarse grade)

1 tsp - 2 tbsp (depending on taste) of sugar or liquid sweetener

1 tbsp gram flour

Pinch of salt

1 cup of soya milk

3 tbsp water

1 tbsp margarine

extra marg for the pan

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.

Mix all the wet ingredients together in a pan and heat enough so that milk is hot and margarine is melted.

Put frying pan on to heat (between med and high).

Whisk the hot milk into the flour mix for a smooth thick batter.

When pan is hot, add a little (about 1/2 tsp) margarine and swirl around to melt. Add a ladle of batter - do not swirl pan, and just allow to find own limits. When edges are golden and the top is smattered with bubbles, using a spatula, ease the blade underneath to loosen and then just flip over. Cook until golden on the second side and remove.

Repeat until the batter is gone. Makes about 4 - 5.

Place pancakes into dogs bowl and watch disappear at high speed :biggrin:

And another one that's been requested :wink:

Coconut and Cashew Curry - Serves 4

Have ready cooked and set aside 8 - 12 (depending on size and appetite !) new potatoes, cut into bite size pieces.

Cooked basmati rice.

1 tbsp oil

3/4 cup raw cashew nuts

1 onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced OR 1 small leek, thinly sliced if sharing with dogs.

1 tsp black mustard seeds

1 stalk curry leaves (about 8 leaves if using dried)

2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

1 tbsp finely grated ginger

1 tsp turmeric

4 dried red chilles

1 red pepper, cored and thinly sliced

2 tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges

1 14 oz tin coconut milk

1 - 2 tbsp chopped fresh corinader

Seasoning

Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan. Add the onion (or leek) and the cashews. Cook (stirring frequently) for about 5 mins - the cashews should just be starting to colour.

Add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the seeds start to pop, add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, chillies and red pepper. Cook for about 2 mins, stirring.

Add the tomatoes and coconut milk, bring to a

simmer, cover loosely and cook for about 10 mins (it starts off a lurid yellow which mellows with cooking).

Add the reserved potatoes and coriander and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve over rice.

This is quite a mild curry, but watch out for biting a chili, and if making the day before, the heat will come out :D

Enjoy :flowers:

1/2 cup SR flour this means white flour, not wholemeal

1 cup cornmeal (can be fine or medium grade) I wouldn't use minute polenta either

1 tsp - 2 tbsp (depending on taste) of sugar or liquid sweetener

1 tbsp gram flour

Pinch of salt

1 cup of soya milk

3 tbsp water

1 tbsp margarine

extra marg for the pan

Can't edit origingal post, so edits added in colour, as would you believe someone Billy, used wholemeal, and then wondered why it didn't work - though I will confress to putting coarse cornmeal and I shouldn't have - Sorry !

NOW STEP AWAY FROM THE WHOLEMEAL, IT'S JUST WRONG :fight: